crazy little thing called love

Empath

Flashaholic
It is cute overload, but according to a spokesman from the Vancouver zoo, it's not as romantic as it appears. The cable news station for the Pacific Northwest latched onto the video when it started becoming popular, and talked with someone at the zoo where it was filmed. According to them, sea otters sleep at sea, and holding hands is a way they avoid drifting away and getting lost from one another. Sometimes a large body of them will be invoved in holding hands(paws).

Still, it's as cute as can be, and you are welcome to ignore that bit of information.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is cute overload, but according to a spokesman from the Vancouver zoo, it's not as romantic as it appears. The cable news station for the Pacific Northwest latched onto the video when it started becoming popular, and talked with someone at the zoo where it was filmed. According to them, sea otters sleep at sea, and holding hands is a way they avoid drifting away and getting lost from one another. Sometimes a large body of them will be invoved in holding hands(paws).

So that's why they looked dead, at least to me.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
On an Alaskan excursion, I remember a nature guide telling us that sea otter males and females tended to stay apart except during mating seasons, so these are proably same sex hand holders. I also remember the guide saying that during mating season, the males were very rough and often injured the females. So much for the romance...