What would be a good 2AA Cree?

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
I've been checking out the different Cree lights on the web, and I've noticed that most of them take only 1 battery usually, or they use CR123, or other battery. I've seen plenty that take 1AA or 1AAA, and the numbers look really good, so I imagine 2AA would be even better.

I know about the Fenix L2D-CE, but I was thinking of something simpler to operate and cost around $20-25. Are there any good ones like this?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine just got the C 5 from DX. SIngle 123 or 2 AA. NIce light...pretty bight. Threads decent...metal good...head twists for on and off.

Delta

Enlightened
I know about the Fenix L2D-CE, but I was thinking of something simpler to operate and cost around $20-25. Are there any good ones like this?

How simple do you need? Push button = Light comes on. You don't HAVE to cycle through modes everytime you use it.

Last edited:

thanos

Newly Enlightened
Second the C5. Good anodizing job, great (floodish) beam (got it as a present for my brother, smashes his maglite 3aa). However not a big fan of the twisty. Nothing ever seems to be screwed all the way in and its a bit fickle, turning on when you dont want if you dont screw it loose enough. Its no surefire but then again its price aint surefire either. Alround pretty good.

LightScene

Enlightened
The Ultrafire C5 is surprisingly bright with only 2 AA NiMh's. You would think it's being driven by a Li Ion 3.7v. It's a nice light at a very reasonable price. Plus you can use it with a CR123 or an RCR123. I have no issues at all with mine.

Whoops! Correction: not all NiMh cells fit in the body. Only 2 of the 4 brands I have on hand fit.

Last edited:

Spin

Enlightened
What's the run time on the C5 using 2-AA or a 123A battery?

flame2000

Enlightened
I agreed with the rest of the guys......Ultrafire Cree C3 with the 2AA extension. It would be better if there is 2 stage hi_low O/P.:D

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
How simple do you need? Push button = Light comes on. You don't HAVE to cycle through modes everytime you use it.

That sounds good then. I was under the impression that you had to cycle through all the brightness/strobe stages to turn it off once it was on. That's the way all the other multi-stage lights I've seen operate.

It would also be nice to find Cree lights at brick n mortar stores sometime. I've never bought anything via internet before, so this would be my first time!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I was under the impression that you had to cycle through all the brightness/strobe stages to turn it off once it was on. That's the way all the other multi-stage lights I've seen operate....
I don't know which ones you've been looking at, but I don't know of any multi-level which works like that. ALL the electronically switched ones (where blinking the light changes modes) I know of will turn off like any other light, and will reset to an initial state or a remembered state you've commanded if left off for more than a few seconds.

LightScene

Enlightened
Lightscene..What NiMh AA batts will/will not fit in the Ultrafire C5? I am interested in the Eneloop AA and Powerex 2700's....Thanks William
The ones I have that fit: Rayovac 15 minute; Powerex 2500; Digital

Ones I have that don't fit: Lenmar; RECHARGE-ABLE.

Unfortunately I don't have calipers to measure the inside diameter.

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultrafire C5 is surprisingly bright with only 2 AA NiMh's. You would think it's being driven by a Li Ion 3.7v. It's a nice light at a very reasonable price. Plus you can use it with a CR123 or an RCR123. I have no issues at all with mine.

Whoops! Correction: not all NiMh cells fit in the body. Only 2 of the 4 brands I have on hand fit.

coiuld you cut out the outerskin(label) or does that affect the safety of it?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you cut the outerskin, some aluminium lights with bare internal bodies will create a close circuit, your light will be on as soon as you insert the cell. This applies to lights with tailswitch.

x2x3x2

Banned
+1 to the UltraFire C3 with 2AA extension tube.

Great tint, great output, great regulation for it's price.