Opinon (and a couple of questions) on the UK SL4

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
I like to walk my dog late at night. I normally carry an old SF 8x and E2 with me.
I like both these lights a lot. However there are some places I would prefer a light with a tighter/ longer throw. The only lights I have that will do this are a 4-D cell and 3-C cell Mag-Lite. The 4-D is really too heavy, imo, for an enjoyable walk and the 3-C, even with an up-graded bulb, is really not up to what I need.

I went to a local gun show this weekend with the intention of trying out an Ultra Stinger or perhaps, Stinger HP . No one had either available. However, I was able to try out a Surge, UK SL6 and SL4.
The Surge is a very nice light but from what I could tell, in a lighted exhibition hall, pretty much the same performance as my 8x.

The Uks both had pretty similar beams. Very tight, with surprising throw in the building.
The hot spot on both is very clean. I was not able to tell much difference in brightness between the two, even though the SL6 is of higher wattage. Is this just me or has anyone else made a similar observation?
I ended up purchasing the SL4.

After my first walk with it, I am more than pleased. The hot spot at about 75 yards, though larger, is much brighter than my 4-D Mag with hpr50 bulb. The larger hotspot, at this distance, was kind of surprising as they are pretty much the same in at about 20 ft. The SL4 was also clearly better at shining through chain link fences. The glare off the chain link, from my other lights, has always made seeing past it a problem for me. The SL4 seems to punch right through it. I was skeptical about how the side by side configuration would carry. It was no problem. The light will actually slip quite comfortably in a rear jeans pocket or a jacket pocket. The lanyard is very nicely done. I did find myself thinking that a push button switch would be perfect when carrying it with the bezel tube up and your index finger resting on the switch. The switch lever is, however, workable from either position. I like this light.

Will a Stinger HP give significantly better performance?

Thanks for letting me ramble,
Greg

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I can't comment on the Stinger, but I agree that the SL4 is a very nice light, plenty bright with a powerful long throw and surprisingly compact for a 4 C light.

I have found that the SL6, while not throwing as far as the smaller light, acts as an impressive flood at short-medium distances. Though I have holster-carried it, the SL6 is a bit heavy for a really comfortable multi-hour carry.

It really depends on what you want in a light. For general night walking there are several combinations that I carry. (always more than one light for backup).

Trek 1400 (LED) + Asp Triad or TACM III

Surge + ASP or TACM

UK 2L 0r Mini Q40 (AA lithiums) + ASP OR TACM

I always carry my ARC AAA Le on my keyring and any or all of the above combos are often supplemented with my Inova X5.

In the Summer when I'm wearing shorts and wish to travel very light I may only belt carry the UK 2L or Mini Q40 (always w lithiums). My backup (aside from the ARC AAA Le) consists of a complete lamp and battery change carried in a miniature holster I modified from a Streamlight Scorpion holster. In effect, I am carrying 2 long-burn super-light incandescents.

Brightnorm

moraino

Enlightened
The Surge is a very nice light but from what I could tell, in a lighted exhibition hall, pretty much the same performance as my 8x.

The Uks both had pretty similar beams. Very tight, with surprising throw in the building.
The hot spot on both is very clean.

Thanks for the sharing. Does Surge reach farther than SL4? How do they compare to each other?

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm,
Thank you for the information on the SL4 & 6 also for sharing your carry combinations.
Where I normally walk there it is never so dark that I require a light to see my footing.
There are some areas near my path that are very dark. I prefer to light them up before I have to pass near them. Hence my need for a longer throw light as my primary and more of a flood as a secondary.
I am pleased with my new combination of the SL4/E2. I also add a PT Attitude to that mix from time to time. I'm an ARC AAA LED fan also.

I may I have to give the ASP another try. The one I had was not reliable. It would often not operate, requiring the bezel to be loosened and re-tightened to operate. Probably just my unit but the E2 has turned out to be a better light for me. It is with me all the time. I will probably get the new Inova when it comes out, if for no other reasons than to carry spare batteries for the E2 in it. I also like the idea of being able to squeeze the last bit of juice out of the 123s that won't operate the E2. I like your analogy of carrying the spare batteries and lamp to a second flashlight.

moraino,

The SL4 has a much tighter beam than the Surge. When I was comparing the two at the show the SL4 would throw a readily seen spot of light across the length of the room (60 ft. maybe) the Surge beam would not. This was in a well lighted room though. The Surge just has a wider beam. The beam quality on both seemed good. The SL4 does have two faint dark, wedge shaped spots on opposite sides of the hot spot.
You would only notice them at close range (<10 ft.) on a wall. I never notice them in actual use . The lights are close in physical size. The Surge has the more traditional shape battery compartment and a larger bezel. The SL4 has a flat compartment and smaller bezel.

Regards,
Greg

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gb6491:

....I may I have to give the ASP another try. The one I had was not reliable. It would often not operate, requiring the bezel to be loosened and re-tightened to operate. Probably just my unit but the E2 has turned out to be a better light for me.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greg,

The Asp will "lock out" even if the bezel is the tiniest bit untightened. In fact it's so sensitive that I use "bezel lockout" in preference to tailpiece lockout when I'm not using the light.

Your light should not be unreliable. If you are very careful to really tighten the bezel all the way and you've checked the threads for foreign particles, as well as making sure that the tailpiece is tightened and you still get intermittant malfunctioning then the light should be returned for repair or replacement.

I had this same problem until I realized that proper bezel tightening was critical.
One of my ASPs has a false "stop": you are convinced that you've fully tightened it because you have come up against what feels like the final thread end, but it is really not. You must either apply more pressure and finish tightening the bezel, or slightly loosen it and then retighten it all the way.

Brightnorm

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
BrightNorm,
Thanks again. The only times mine would work at all was when the bezel was cranked down all the way. Even so, it would sometimes
fail to light. That unit was returned, but I think I'll give them (ASP) another try.
Regards,
Greg