First time buying a C sized Mag...

jlomein

Enlightened
The other day I picked up a pewter coloured 2C Mag for my first ROP build. I am rather disappointed in the quality of the light, considering I have never had a problem with minimags.

The 2C Mag tailcap doesn't seem to line up with the body. It screws in on a slant and leaves a gap. It is very obvious when you run your finger over it.

tailmeet.jpg

Secondly, the threads on the tailcap are extremely poor. The picture below shows how mangled the threads are. It came new this way, I did not do this damage myself.

threads.jpg

Finally I find the switch operation to be rather soft and spongy.

Are these issues common?

cfromc

Enlightened
I have a couple Mags and they don't look anything like that at all. I just bought one this year and the quality is fine. Your pictures look horrible; personally, I'd take it back for an exchange or refund. For the price I paid for my 2D (<$12) I thought the quailty was extremely good.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had an issue such as that, and I have a number of C size mags. I would return it for another one, you got one of the inevitable QC misses any product line will have.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Excellent pictures - they really show the problem.

The spongy switch feel is normal for the new C switches. My older (but new design) 4C black exhibits the same switch feel. D size has different switch feel however.

Threads - I have two of the pewters from the same Home Depot (I told jlomein where to buy them). I have the same issue. Threads look flattened and rough. My 4C is not as bad. The battery cap moves slightly when not tightened down - just like my older 4C though. The cap aligns smoothly on one side but not the other. Just like my older 4C :thinking: But the threads on the new pewter ones are rougher.
I swapped the end caps between the 2 pewters and the 4C... feel fine. No real detectable difference and interchangeability ok. The threads on the pewter C's bezel ring and head are sharp and ok though, so it's just the battery cap. QC isuue with this batch I suppose.

But as usual I'm not surprised really. Quality in everything is going downhill nowadays. It's a shame but there you go. My two 2C Pewter's, despite this thread roughness, function fine and I'm ok with it.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! That's the worst QC I've seen from Mag! :shakehead Say what you want about Maglites and their obvious drawbacks, but their QC is usually pretty well consistently top notch, with the exception the anodizing of some colors.

I just checked my pewter 2C (hotwire) that I bought a couple of months ago and the cap lines up fine, but the threads are just a little rough...not as bad as yours, but worse than I've seen on any other Mag. Weird.

It's pretty sad when you see a decline in craftsmanship by a company that supposedly prides itself on it's quality control.

I would take it back, if I were you and I would also send those pics to Maglite...I bet they'd be interested in seeing them.

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
I guess you should inform Mag of the problem...
I'm too damn lazy to get involved in that run around though so I'll just let it slide by this time...

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 2AA Minimag once from a Walmart. When I went to unscrew the head it was grinding... the threads were crossed when they screwed the head on. I immediately took it back.

I guess when you make a bazillion flashlights a few not so good ones are gonna slip through the cracks.

Mark

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Are these issues common?

No.... I use a black 2-C magLED at work, and I have a pewter one at home. Neither light has the problems you've brought up. Perhaps you got a lemon that squeezed by Q.C.?

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have got Mags (D and AA sized) last year and my older ones were some 10 years ago.
Instantly noticed the machining quality has delined, but just at minor parts.

but here: imho this thing in the pic looks like a cheap copy.
F.e. the "knurling" seems to long for me, even when I consider this a C-sized end cap.
(its no knurling, right, dont know the word for this kind of antislip machining)

[edit] my bad, did not notice the pics were cropped sideways
wonder if the shop You got it will exchange (= understand the reason for not being content)
Keep us updated pls.[/edit]

Last edited:

jlomein

Enlightened
It's just a cheap 3.0 megapixel Pentax camera. It usually takes terrible pics. Sometimes with bright enough sunlight, macro mode, and a steady hand, I can use it to take half decent pics.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yeah, definitely take it back. Looks like it was cross threaded on assembly. By the sounds of it, the company may have recently started using a bad automatic assembly on the C-cell line. That's why you always start the lugs on your car tires by hand for a few threads, before you grab the air impact ratchet.