P1D-CE on high for the full 1 hour

daimleramg

Banned
Just a question from a newbie, I just purchased a P1D-CE black and been reading a lot through these threads. I have read that the P3D-CE should only be on turbo for a short while, now does this still apply for high setting for my P1D-CE? Can I use it for a long burn for the full 1 hour with CR123A cell? will this damage the LED in any way? I tried max setting for 20 mins and when i try to change settings while the light was warm it seems like it doesnt want to turn on and i have to twist it really hard till it doesnt twist no more to change it to the next setting. Sometimes it doesnt even turn on till its cold again.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Danintex

Enlightened
Turbo mode isn't supposed to be used for more than a few minutes, but Cree LEDs seem to be current tolerant- at least in my experience. Someone here's bound to have tried killing one though.

Delta

Enlightened
My P2D gets pretty hot after a few mintues on turbo...

daimleramg

Banned
Turbo mode isn't supposed to be used for more than a few minutes, but Cree LEDs seem to be current tolerant- at least in my experience. Someone here's bound to have tried killing one though.

yes turbo mode on the P3D-CE shouldnt be on for more then a few mins but how about max setting for the P1D-CE? 135 lumens is max setting(not labeled as turbo in specs)... is that the same as turbo? because turbo on P3D-CE is also 135 lumens

Danintex

Enlightened
If you look at the specs on both lights you should find all you get with the P3D is more runtime. Therefore, the max or turbo settings on both would equate to the same thing. My P1D sure doesn't make me feel like 135 lumens, though. :thinking:

LightScene

Enlightened
I haven't noticed any problems at all running 3.7v RCR123's, let alone 3v CR123's. I also haven't read about any such problems with the P1D-CE. I think it is very nicely regulated, and there is nothing to worry about.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
how dissapointing.. i was expecting a thread about how you ran it for 1 hour and it was fine..

Last edited:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light does not come back on immediately, the battery might be sagging and need replacing. The regulator in the P1D-CE will not fire up if the battery voltage is too low - allowing the battery to rest causes the voltage to rise again.

I have only ever had this issue with my P1D-CE when the battery is almost dead.

lightknight

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my P1D CE for half a year now, ALWAYS on "HIGH", often with 90 MINUTES of continuous runtime - and without any heat problem!

The "trick": I used only 3,7V RCR 123. At that voltage - as everyone knows - the light "loses!" its levels and medium (one twist on) is already "high" and even BRIGHTER than the "real high" (two twist on) with 3V lithiums or 3V RCRs.

Some days ago I bought and tried some 3V RCRs because I wanted the low-level for reading, which is OK with runtimes of about 7 hours. But on the other levels these batteries are disappointing! The 3V RCRs make the light VERY hot on high and runtime is only about 30 minutes.

So I recommend everyone who has not yet tried it to use 3,7 V RCRs. You get a completely different flashlight with them: the P1D CE stays cool, is extremly bright, has 90 minutes+ of runtime - and is a one-step-twistie (like the P1D), always on full (really full!) power.
Try it and enjoy!
:twothumbs

Last edited:

daimleramg

Banned
I've been using my P1D CE for half a year now, ALWAYS on "HIGH", often with 90 MINUTES of continuous runtime - and without any heat problem!

The "trick": I used only 3,7V RCR 123. At that voltage - as everyone knows - the light "loses!" its levels and medium (one twist on) is already "high" and even BRIGHTER than the "real high" (two twist on) with 3V lithiums or 3V RCRs.

Some days ago I bought and tried some 3V RCRs because I wanted the low-level for reading, which is OK with runtimes of about 7 hours. But on the other levels these batteries are disappointing! The 3V RCRs make the light VERY hot on high and runtime is only about 30 minutes.

So I recommend everyone who has not yet tried it to use 3,7 V RCRs. You get a completely different flashlight with them: the P1D CE stays cool, is extremly bright, has 90 minutes+ of runtime - and is a one-step-twistie (like the P1D), always on full (really full!) power.
Try it and enjoy!:twothumbs

can you tell me who is a trusted dealer that sells high current 3.7v 750mah rcr123 rechargable cells?

x2x3x2

Banned
I'm doing some tests with Soshine 650mAh cells... even tho they are rated at 3.0V, they're slightly brighter than using AW's 750 mAh protected 3.7V cells.

Review will be up in a few days, just needs a little more testing. Also, i get about 90 mins runtime on high mode.

Btw, I've done full runtime tests on the P2D CE on High and Turbo modes without additional heatsinking at room temp and tint, output and functionality works fine. Tho the P2D does have a slightly larger body that the P1D for heat sinking...

daimleramg

Banned

i ordered four protected 3.7volt RCR123 750mah from AW... are these the batteries you're referring to? (reason why i ordered four is im thinking of gettin the eznite 10w HID flashlight from litemania)

so basically one twist will be at max even if i twist it again it wont go any brighter? and you kept it on for the full 90 mins on high and nothing bad has gone wrong with your light? i read somewhere over 3.2v it goes into direct drive, but when voltages goes below 3.2 volts will i have low and medium again?

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
x2x3x2, can you be sure to see how the soshines do in the P2D on medium and low?

Would be good to know!

Review is up, with control shots of all modes on both Energizer CR123 and Soshine cells.

Gman

Enlightened
Excuse the thread jack but x2x3x2: Just wanted to say I think the format and style used on your review site is great. Very nicely done.

lightknight

Newly Enlightened
i ordered four protected 3.7volt RCR123 750mah from AW... are these the batteries you're referring to? (reason why i ordered four is im thinking of gettin the eznite 10w HID flashlight from litemania)

so basically one twist will be at max even if i twist it again it wont go any brighter? and you kept it on for the full 90 mins on high and nothing bad has gone wrong with your light? i read somewhere over 3.2v it goes into direct drive, but when voltages goes below 3.2 volts will i have low and medium again?

daimleramg! I have only some 3,7V noname RCRs rated at 650 mah and they work just as you write. After about 1/2 - 1 hour you begin seeing slight differences between med, hi and low. But all in all you have much longer runtimes and at the beginning a lot more brightness according to the 3,7V. Sure you'll be happy with it!

Well - and if you expect the need for 7 - 20 hours runtime on low you simply coose 3V RCRs or primaries.
That's why I like the P1D CE so much: One light - different "ammunition" ;-)

daimleramg

Banned

hey lightnight, i just got AW's 3.7v 750mah RCR123's and charged them. they dont seem too bright tho, well prolly the same as primarys maybe even the engergizer e2's are brighter...maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but not like what u said... "You get a completely different flashlight with them". i left it on medium(one twist) for 10 mins and it got pretty hot, not unbearable but still hot maybe these batteries are a bit different from yours.

but still a good buy tho....no more buyin non-rechargables

Last edited:

Tiny

Newly Enlightened
I've ran my L2D-CEs on high for more than an hour continously all the time, I strap them onto my bike's handlebar and use them as bike lights.

With the airflow over them, the Fenix's doesn't get even remotely warm. Of course, I turn them off or down to low mode when I stop for breaks, which rarely takes more than a couple of minutes before I'm off romping in the forest again. By the way, the Fenix's aren't conducting heat to my handlebar as the clamps I use are plastic Cateye bikemount clamps, and my handlebar is carbon.