Any brighter 5mm LEDs on the horizon?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always like the wide light pattern of 5mm LED lights but unless I've missed something haven't read of a substantial brighter (as well as reliable) version since the Nichia CS (forget exact model number) release which was quite some time ago. Anything come down the pike or anything on the horizon in that regard?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you look at this thread, it shows that there are quite a few 5mm LEDs that are brighter and more efficient then the Nichia CS. Not many are above the B1U bin though.

o0o

Enlightened
It would be nice if they could also make them last a lot longer (lumen maintenance).

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Based on my testing we haven't had much improvement in 5mm LEDs over the last 18 months. They seem to have plateaued in the 70 to 80 lm/W region, at least for the time being. Not to worry, though. Efficiency advancements seldom proceed in a linear fashion. Rather, it seems we have occasional large jumps followed by slight improvements until the next jump. I'd say we're about due for 100 to 150 lm/W 5mm's within the next six months as advancements trickle out of the lab. Don't forget also that as we get closer to 100% efficiency advancements will be longer in coming and less impressive.

gunga

Flashaholic
I've seen that thread myself, and it still confuses me.

I wonder, if it is worth it to swap out a Nichia CS with say, a 55000 mcd Jled?

I was thinking of doing this in an Inova X1.

I saw the freeze pop threads, so think I can get the head out. Just not sure it's worth it if it only makes it slightly brighter...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most 5mm LED light overdrive their emitters between 30-60 mA. The SMJ LED is rated at 80 mA so it might be a better replacement for most 5mm LEDs. SMJ LEDs are a bit expensive though. It'll make the light brighter and the LED will last longer. How much brighter, I don't know.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall reading what the 2nd gen X1s drive the LED at, but I think the 1st gen only drove it with 20mA or so... pretty low. I don't know if an SMJLED would be a significant improvement. I did a couple colored 1st gen X1 mods including one with a red LED... I think the LED was spec'd at 80mA @ 2.2V and the X1 ran it at about 20mA @ 3.6 or 3.8V and it lasted for as long as I had it so I have to assume the current level is pretty low. Only other 'white' LED I did was a Peak Snow29 LED... It might have been marginally brighter than the stock LED, but was DEFINATELY more white. I've been planning on swapping the Nichia out for a Snow29 in a second gen X1... for about... uh... 15 months or so.

Canuke

Enlightened
I always like the wide light pattern of 5mm LED lights but unless I've missed something haven't read of a substantial brighter (as well as reliable) version since the Nichia CS (forget exact model number) release which was quite some time ago. Anything come down the pike or anything on the horizon in that regard?

Nichia themselves seem to be indicating two new models as "under development" [URL="http://www.nichia.co.jp/product/led-lamp-phi5.html]on their website[/URL]:

The first is the model NSPW500DS, which specs at 22k mcd instead of 18k for the CS.

The second is the NSPW500GS-K1, which specs to 30k, but AFAICT is some sort of three-die or high current application -- its rated current is "20*3" rather than the "20" given for the DS.