maglite led clickie tailcaps

thanos

Newly Enlightened
I apologize in advance if this has already been extensively discussed, I haven't been here in a while and the search didnt give me anything.

Basically my brothers got a maglite 3aa and wants a tailcap clickie like what he had with his modded old maglite. Wondering if there are any on the market yet because the last I checked the led mags are too deep for the threads of tailcaps such as nitize.

Any help would be appreciated.

customh

Newly Enlightened
With any luck, I'll have a MiniMag LED in my hands soon and make a tailcap switch for it out of a McClicky, for now I'm working on one for regular minimag.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
i would like to see a IQswicth for the 3AA, anyone tried it on the 3AA?

frasera

Newly Enlightened
stay away from iqswitch, it lowers output big time.
one solution is to buy a 1/2" or so diameter round aluminum rod from say home depot, its in the nuts and bolts section with a buncha other metal rods and slabs sheets or whatever. about 4 bucks for 3 feet worth:p its plenty. then just cut around 1/4" or whatever off the end and use as a spacer. wrap around with a bit of electrical tape and any tail clicky like the normal niteize switches will work. either use a dremel or a cheap ol saw. i just bought one of those cheap niteize 3led mag 2aa upgrade + switch packs for 7 bucks at frys. generally they are pretty cheap these days. tossed the 3led thing into an old maglite and use the tail switch for my 3aa led.

Last edited:

Pistolero

Enlightened
stay away from iqswitch, it lowers output big time.

Is that just for the stock Minimag LED? or the Modded regular Minimag? I love my IQswitch + 1watt Lux Nite-ize replacement. But I never thought that it might have an inefficient output.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Terralux clickie tailcap on my 2AA with the SMJLED drop in and can definately recommend it. Its a quality piece that can really take a beating, and works great. Don't know if it works with the 3AA LED minimag, though.

frasera

Newly Enlightened
Is that just for the stock Minimag LED? or the Modded regular Minimag? I love my IQswitch + 1watt Lux Nite-ize replacement. But I never thought that it might have an inefficient output.

no idea, i just remember reading reviews that it dimmed output significantly. i figure its not worth the extra price when the older niteize 3led+switch combo is discounted at most stores these days.
I have the Terralux clickie tailcap on my 2AA with the SMJLED drop in and can definately recommend it. Its a quality piece that can really take a beating, and works great. Don't know if it works with the 3AA LED minimag, though.

i'm pretty sure you'll either have to make a spacer or stretch the spring for either of the new led type mags. the stock spring tail cap is much longer on these. not that big of a thing, 3 dollar hacksaw and a minute or two of hacking away at a stick of aluminum is all u need:)

Bozzlite

Enlightened
30 Seconds of carefully stretching the Terralux tail cap switch worked for me. I have it on a Mini Mag 3AA LED. Works fine. I'm sure it will work on the 2AA model too.

I also say avoid the IQ switch. It decreases output substantially, except with the NiteEyez 3 LED module. In that case it only reduces it slightly.

Last edited: