Info on 9 firefighters killed in roof collapse?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am out of town, using a slow, slow computer, and my lap top can't hold a signal where I am. What are the circumstances? What town? I am visiting my daugher and son in law who is a firefighter in the AF.

Bill

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
From AP:
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - Fire swept through a furniture warehouse, collapsing its roof and killing nine firefighters inside—the nation's deadliest single disaster for firefighters since the Sept. 11 terror attacks. "Nine brave, heroic, courageous firefighters of the city of Charleston have perished fighting fire in a most courageous and fearless manner, carrying out their duties," Charleston Mayor Joseph P. Riley said at a morning news conference. "To all of their loved ones, our heart goes out to them."

Two employees in the building were rescued from the blaze, which broke out at about 7 p.m. Monday in the Sofa Super Store and warehouse, Riley said. One was rescued quickly, and firefighters punched a hole through a wall of the warehouse to reach the other, he said.

Firefighters, police officers and other rescue workers saluted as the firefighters' bodies were carried from the warehouse during the night.

"To lose nine is just a tragedy of immense proportions," Riley said. "To lose nine is just unbelievable."

The department has 237 firefighters in 19 companies located throughout the city of about 106,000.

The cause of the fire was under investigation but Riley said arson was not suspected. He said the blaze apparently started in a storage area. He was unsure whether there were sprinklers in the building.
The buildings are located on what residents here refer to as the "auto mile," a commercial strip of car dealers, body shops and stereo installers.

-Bill :candle:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
How tragically sad.

The building was not sprinklered, I believe. A proper sprinkler system may well have prevented the fire from growing rapidly out of control, weakening the structure, and the subsequent loss of nine men. The synthetics used in much of today's furniture added greatly to the fuel load.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Got home yesterday. Thanks, BB for info. jayflash, yes truly a tragic occurance, probably worst loss of firefighters since 9/11.

Bill