Is there a way to tell if Cree is installed in new Surefire L5?

stldnder

Newly Enlightened
Howdy all. I am new to the forums, but had a question regarding my new L5 I just purchased direct from Surefire this past month. Is there a way to determine if the installed LED is a Cree? The KL5 serial number is A06417 (not sure if this matters) and the light output appears brighter (and whiter) than my L4 purchased a couple years ago. Any assistance or photos would be appreciated. Thanks!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest going to the reviews section and looking at a couple of cree light reviews. If there are photos, you will most likely see a picture of a cree led. If the led on your new light matches...it should be cree. I believe that the new L5's with cree leds will also have a TIR optic...not just a reflector, but am not 100% sure on that point.

Regardless, congrats on your new L5. From what I hear, they are great lights no matter what led is in them.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there,

the X5 has been delayed and i would say with a level of confidence you have a great Lux product!!!

Enjoy your lottery win!! :)

Howdy all. I am new to the forums, but had a question regarding my new L5 I just purchased direct from Surefire this past month. Is there a way to determine if the installed LED is a Cree? The KL5 serial number is A06417 (not sure if this matters) and the light output appears brighter (and whiter) than my L4 purchased a couple years ago. Any assistance or photos would be appreciated. Thanks!

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF

From what I've read, the new L5s are on hold and have not been released yet so your's will have a Luxeon V. If the new L5 uses a TIR optic, it will be easy to tell.

Lux V looks quite different from Cree emitter. The die is also 4 times the size. If you post a picture showing the LED, we will be able to tell you straight away.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bezels are different. If you got a nice, white, donut-hole free L5, then you've just won the Luxeon Lottery! Enjoy your (still very very nice) light until the new Kx5 bezels are released, and slap it on for more light and longer runtime.

easilyled

Flashaholic
OpticsHQ said that Surefire have put any plans for a Cree L5 on indefinite hold.

(I think that translates to a long time or never)

stldnder

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the close up image of the LED and reflector, this is a current L5. I shot this image specifically to show the Lux V LED...

http://www.sgcusa.com/cgi-bin/sgcusa.cgi/084871160216.html

I also have a pretty good feeling that this looks like yours. I hope this helps.

-Gb

Yup, mine looks exactly like your image. Thank you very much for the assistance.

I must say I am still very happy with my new L5, especially when comparing the beam color and quality to my old L4. It is a significant improvement. Now I will have to wait on the KX5 (?) replacement bezel incorporating the Cree LED. Something else to look forward to!

Thanks everyone for your responses and information. It is much appreciated.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi stldner, Welcome to CPF.

I good to hear that you are liking your L5/KL5 as I do mine. They may be old school tech but their performance is a different story. I edc mine almost everyday since I got the head early in the month.
I also compared mine with the L4, both with 1xP17670, The corona is smaller compared to L4's but the transition from spot to edge of corona is very distinctive, bright and smooth. So in essence the L5 is like KL4 with throw.