Need help finding a good light

Cpt Twitchy

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure if this is the proper location for such a post but here it goes.

I would like to get myself a nice LED based flashlight but honestly know nothing about flashlights other then they help me see where I am walking in the dark. I have done a little bit of browsing and would usually do more research before just asking a question but soon I am headed on a mission trip to Mexico which leaves me with little time to do my research. I am willing to spend between $20 and $30 but would not like to go over that. A few I have seen linked in this forum so far are:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4370
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1322
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1259

I would like to get one of the larger flashlights as the extra light would be nice and I would also like a rear click-type switch. So if one of the above flashlights are good or if anyone can show me some other good flashlights in this price range as well as a reputable place to buy I would be highly appreciative.

Thanks,
Tim

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How tough will the lights need to be?

I would have recommended the Fenix CE series but they are over your budget.

The first light you linked to only uses a Lithium ion rechargeable 14500 battery. The battery is the same size as a AA battery but it is a 3.7V battery and the flashlight will not run with a 1.5V AA battery.

The last two lights are not really that efficient. A white LED needs about 3.7V to run. The last two lights takes 6-7.2V and lowers it to 3.7 via a resistor and wastes the extra energy as heat.

I would recommend the U2-Style 3W CREE, but it runs on a 3.7V 18650 battery (Here's the charger) and all together costs about $37. It will run on a AA with a metal spacer(the AA battery is not long enough to reach the head and the tailcap, this will make the light dimmer) so if you can't get the battery recharged, it will still work. You will need an adapter for the charger to work in Mexico.

For a 1 AA light, go for the MTE Seoul or the Ultrafire C3

2AA, Ultrafire C3(with adapter) or C5(also runs on CR123 batteries, twistie)

Another good light is the Streamlight Propoly 4AA or 3C. It uses a previous generation Luxeon LED(Half the efficiency of a Seoul or Cree LED) but it is still a good light.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you located? If you are not in Asia, keep in mind it will take up to a month to get lights from DealExtreme or other Asian based retailers.
Due to your possible time constraint, I would recommend a light bought from a local store (brick and mortar or mail order) if you don't have time to return overseas if it does not work for your needs.
Also I would not depend on a $10 light lasting for a long trip in harsh conditions either. I got a $10 light and though it is bright (Cree), it has very bad threads and is not worth the cost to ship it for an exchange.
Get one from a local retailer (wherever the light is manufactured) so you can exchange it more quickly if there is an initial problem or it is just not as suited for your needs as you thought.
I would recommend an Inova T-series as a tough, reliable tail clicky, but they are out of your price range. Fenix is also good - maybe you can get a used one on the B/S/T forum locally for your price.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mission you are visiting--would the appreciate a "donation" of your light when you go back home?

If so, do you have any idea what kind of light(s) would work well for them? LED is probably almost a given--but rechargeable, solar charger, AA, C, D, etc.?

A small 1AA battery LED flashlight with a pack of 48 AA batteries would last for several years of heavy usage.

1 "expensive" light to donate, or a 1/2 dozen less expensive lights? Or you could even get a whole back of little white or colored keychain lights down to $1 each.

If you are getting this light for yourself--there are just too many options in the $30-$60 range. You kind of have to give a little hint (AA's only, lithiums for freezing weather, long runtime on a battery, waterproof, plastic body, multi-level, etc.) as to what you want.

If you can up the price by $20, the Cree lights are a big step up (and there are Cree at lower prices too)... Yes, they are twice as bright (for the same energy)--but that is, realistically, not the most interesting use--the fact you can have the same light and the batteries last twice as long is the real kicker. Especially if you are traveling and/or have other issues with battery availability.

-Bill

Cpt Twitchy

Newly Enlightened
This light will be for personal use. The mission trip is a reason to get a flashlight now but once I get back I will use the light while working on cars, working on computer's as well as outdoor hiking/mountaineering use and just to have around the house. I don't know a lot about flashlights but something that is highly efficient while maintaining optimum light would be ideal. Weather resistance would be great for when I go up in the mountains and multiple levels of brightness would be a handy addition. I have no problem with using rechargeable batteries as most of the time I will be close to an available outlet.

The Fenix looks to be a great little light. If spending a little more is worth it I have no problems doing so, I just don't want to be spending $100+. I like to buy quality stuff, not necessarily the best but something that is solid and will last a long time. If that means I have to spend $50-$60 I am ok with that but if something down in the $30-$40 range is good I have no objections to that either :D Basically I'd like to stick in my original price range, a little over isn't bad but if the pay off is worth spending more then I will definitely go for that as I want a good light that will last me.

I live in the greater Seattle area so there are plenty of places to buy locally but e-tailers tend to be more affordable and tax free which is a wonderful plus. Lastly it is very pleasant to see you guys being so helpful and showing stuff in my price range. I spend a fair bit of time on pc forums and whenever someone is looking for an upgrade they are constantly urged to spend more then they have allotted.

Thanks,
Tim

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Fenix offer great Bang for the Buck. The L2D-CE has about 122 Lumen on Turbo (compare that to the 15 lumen of a common 2D light), and it uses the same head as the P2D-CE(one CR123) and L1D-CE(1 AA) so you also have different options for batteries. The User-interface is also pretty simple. Review one, two(L1D-CE), three(L2D-CE), comparison. Fenix Store is based in the US and has a 8% off coupon for CPF users. Coupon is CPF8

Another good light is the Dexlight X.I(look at previous comparison), many modes and has 100+ lumen when run on a 14500 battery. Dealextreme's shipping usually takes 2 weeks to a month.

For a medium sized light(as in 18650 rechargeable), the U2-Style 3W CREE(review), and the 3W Cree Projection are pretty good. They are both over $30 if you buy batteries and charger.

For $30 or under and runs on common batteries and relatively well built, here's a list:

MTE 1xAA SSC-P4($14.50, review)
Ultrafire C3($20.50, review)
Ultrafire C5($21.63, review)
Ultrafire CR123 Cree($19, HAIII(tougher coating)version, $20.50)
DX Simply Cree($8.95, body is a bit flimsy)
Streamlight Propoly 4AA or 3C($29 and $40, Luxeon LED but still very tough and very good regulation, Review 4AA, 3C)

Can be found in local stores(all luxeons):

Streamlight Propoly Luxeon (maybe)
RiverRock 1AA(reflector version, try Target, $20 something, Review(rebranded Nuwai X1)
RiverRock 2AA(reflector, Target, $20 something, Review one, two)
MagLED, Still pretty good, review, 2AA, 3AA(3AA is the better one IMO)

I'd say at least order one Seoul/Cree light form Dealextreme just to see the newer LEDs in action.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
If you order from Fenix-Store.com for your Fenix, it typically takes under a week to get anywhere in the US. I usually get my stuff in two days from them. Lighthound is also a very fast shipper.

Cpt Twitchy

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to go with the Fenix CE series. I do not like the size of the L2D so that leaves the L1D, P2D and P3D to choose from. What are the main differences if any between the LxD and PxD series other then the batteries used? Is it the 14500 Lithium's that can be used in the L1D and with either of the two series I choose to go with what are my best battery options for rechargeable batteries. Please correct me If I am wrong but what I am assuming is nice about the L1D is that you can run regular AA's in it.

Thanks,
Tim

Gunner12

Flashaholic
... What are the main differences if any between the LxD and PxD series other then the batteries used? Is it the 14500 Lithium's that can be used in the L1D and with either of the two series I choose to go with what are my best battery options for rechargeable batteries. Please correct me If I am wrong but what I am assuming is nice about the L1D is that you can run regular AA's in it.

Thanks,
Tim

The P2D-CE, L1D-CE and L2D-CE all use the same head(boost circuit, 0.7-4.0V) and have interchangeable battery tubes. The P3D-CE only runs on batteries above 3.6V(buck circuit, 3.6-8.4V).With the L1D-CE, there is not much difference between high and turbo unless you use Lithium AA batteries.

The 14500 3.7V Lithium(4.2V off the charger) will work in the L1D-CE but you will loose all modes except turbo and strobe. Only when the voltage drops below 3.2V will the other modes start working. I would not recommend using unprotected 14500s in and Fenix light if it is your first time with Lithium Ion batteries.

Lithium ion batteries get damaged when they drop below 2.7V. Protected kinds have a circuit inside that shuts down the battery in an event of overcharge or over discharge.

The L2D-CE will NOT work with 2 14500 batteries. The head will go :poof:. The P2D-CE will work with 1 RCR123 battery, both 3.0V (3.7V off the charger) and 3.7V(4.2V of the charger) should work, but it will also loose modes until the voltage drops below 3.2V. The P3D-CE will work with 2 RCR123 batteries or 1 17670 3.7V Lithium Ion battery.

The L2D-CE and L1D-CE will both work with normal AA batteries. And if you want to keep all the modes and have a better regulation, use a 1.2V rechargeable battery.

carrot

Flashaholic
Personally, I think you should stick with an alkaline-based flashlight because you can find alkalines anywhere, which will be important for your trip. The L2D-CE is close to the size of a Mini Maglite, and since it comes with a pretty nice nylon holster you don't have to worry about carrying it in your pocket. Otherwise, the L1D-CE is a fine choice, and it is a light that I find myself carrying from time to time.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned mountaineering... If you want a light that works reliably below 32F--You are talking about lithium rather than alkaline batteries.

While there are AA Lithiums, they are more expensive than the CR123 batteries (which you can now get, with shipping, below $1.40 each in relatively small quantities).

I like AA's because I can get very good quality at $0.25 each (Kirkland pack of 48 for a bit over $12+tax).

But I did get the P3D-CE because it is shorter than the L2D family of lights (as well as brighter--but we won't dwell on that).

It will run over 65 hours on low (brighter than an ARC AAA light) which is plenty for walking around--and for (roughly) 1:45 on "turbo".

Even reading/walking 4 hours per night (on low), two batteries will last you almost two weeks. One P3D-CE with new batteries and four spare batteries, you are good for more than a month of heavy use.

I am not so sure on finding/buying AA batteries locally--off brands, old stock and such, are not going to last well in any "bright" flashlight because of high(er) current requirements. If you are moving to locations and don't have access to CR123's--that is another issue (then solar charger and rechargeable batteries are a possible alternative).

Also, lithium primaries store much better than almost any other battery out there (that I am aware of). So getting a batch of 20 taking 5-10 years to use them up is not a problem. Good Alkalines are good for ~5+ years (don't let them get too hot). Rechargeables, weeks to months between charges (depending on battery type).

I also like the "stove-pipe" design of the light. Very easy to pocket and use--does not snag when pulling out to use. It is smooth--so in poor grip conditions (water/mud, mittens, etc.) you will probably be able to use it "tactically"--or one handed/quickly in all conditions (but it is a flashlight--not a gun).

A P3D-CE with CPF8 coupon code is a bit under $57 delivered (USPS).

For CPF Friendly dealers (lights, batteries, etc.) check this link.

-Bill