Fenix Textured Reflector!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this has been discussed here but I now have one of the Fenix-Store.com Q2 special P2Ds and it has a textured reflector! The result is a very smooth beam with absolutely no hint of rings or holes. I don't know if this will be the standard for Fenix, or not, but I hope so!

Doug P.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You trade away some throw, but for indoor use it offers a brighter spill. I love my new PD2 Q2. :)

HiltiHome

Enlightened
Doug,

is this reflector coated with acrylic, or one of the upcoming Fenix reflectors from the factory ?

A German Fenix dealer visited the Fenix head office and assembling line lately, and reported about a P3D prototype with textured reflector...

Heinz

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks to have a coating similar to the Surefire lamp assemblies. That's the best I can describe it. Let's try to get a picture of the old vs new...

frf.jpg

shakeylegs

Enlightened
You trade away some throw, but for indoor use it offers a brighter spill. I love my new PD2 Q2.

Compared to a Q2 model with smooth reflector I'm sure this is true.

In a real world outdoor comparison, the P2D and P1D Q2's with OP reflectors noticeably out throw my P3D original with smooth reflector in all modes, higher output and extra distance most noticeably in modes low med and high - marginally brighter and broader spot at 75 to 100 yards on turbo.

And the smooth beam quality is much nicer for nightime hiking - no rings to hide those lurking potholes in the trail.

I too hope fenix will make these OP reflectors a standard option.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i did texture , it looks like quickbeams reflector and the beam is so nice and smooth no rings at all

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,

Did you happen to hook this one up and see if it does have more output than the standard version?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the new Q2 OP L2D's. I can still make out a dimmer halo around the central beam. Much better than the smooth reflector but not as nice as the HDS P4 mod with a stock reflector or even writeright on the Fenix smooth reflector.
4Sevens describes it as medium orange peel, but I'd call it more light orange peel as it doesn't remove all rings and the halo.

To each his own.

sclemin1

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone think the Cree Q4 emitter (orderable in "Dealer's Corner, sales only) would make a noticeable brightness improvement from the Q2?
Provided of course the tint is decent…

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I compared my P2D Q2 and P3D and the P2D Q2 was brighter in the low, and medium modes. High was less noticable, but I'd give it to the P2D. However, my P3D appears brighter on TURBO than the P2D Q2 on TURBO and throws better. I have heard others have had the same result.

I couldn't be happier with the P2D Q2 though, as I will be using the low and medium modes most of the time and it's nice having more light with the same amount of power being used, and the beam is smoother, spill is brighter, and the tint is warmer (no more blueish/purple tint).

My poor little P1D-CE has been retired for now. :)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just about bl**dy time.. haha.. I dunno why they insisted on keeping the stock reflector and having to take all the flak for the poor beam and stuff. Seems that people prefer a perfect beam over the throw of the light. With a textured reflector, donut holes become less obvious too... hope it becomes standard or an option for future Fenix lights! :D

ensile

Enlightened
the normal reflector did a good job of spilling, but it was nor here nor there, with a reflector of that size, I believe it does a decent job of trying to mix the spot with spill.

the q2's have a brighter spill, they normally have a good spill, but imo, it was never bright enough. With this SE, i believe they could be scoring points with EDC fiends.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me its all about the throw, and with an op reflector, you lack throw. So to me it renders the light not worthy. I think it should be an accessory or purchase choice since you can have more of a flood or a thrower.. I will always go for throw OR a flood and not an inbetween. My preference is throw because i like to see whats coming..

europium

Enlightened
For me its all about the throw, and with an op reflector, you lack throw. So to me it renders the light not worthy. I think it should be an accessory or purchase choice since you can have more of a flood or a thrower.. I will always go for throw OR a flood and not an inbetween. My preference is throw because i like to see whats coming..

I pretty much fall into the same camp. I like having decent throw with the L2D/P2D. To me, the dark ring around the hot spot is only annoying when staring at it, which isn't something I do while going for walks in the park or running errands, etc.

It's nice to know that the L1D/L2D/P2D can run a long time on low and medium, but these Fenix Cree lights are so bright on high and turbo, that I use them outdoors almost exclusively. Besides, I have other floody and/or less-bright lights for indoors, where maximum output is not necessary.

Eu

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my P2D CE Q2 the other day. The OP reflector gives it the best beam I've seen from any of my Fenix lights or the ones I've seen belonging to others. The transition from spot to spill is much smoother. I like that. Mine has very little halo effect around the spot. In fact I have to look hard just to think I see some. Some throw is lost, but that's ok. If I'm gonna need throw, I'll take my COAST Hocus Focus 7438 modded w/ a SSC P4. :twothumbs

Last edited:

ensile

Enlightened
Some throw is lost, but that's ok. If I'm gonna need throw, I'll take my COAST Hocus Focus 7438 modded w/ a SSC P4. :twothumbs

yes, my d-mini is always in my bag packed neatly for times when i need to spot. Combo'ing EDC is the way to go.

q2 or not, in real use, my p2d is straight out impressive, my p3d stays in the drawer, also an incredible light, but to me, the only positive for edcing the p3d would be the fact that it runs longer, as if one or 2 spare batts is clutter, the brightness factor is not really a big thing, the p2d will do a low for map reading, and it will provide great flood for path hiking.

p3d for a tool, p2d edc. imo.

I might get my p2dq2 next week, the one i have now will be kept, because the beam is so nice, and the versatility is amazing, i can only hope I can keep them until my older years.

fence sitters should get a natural, non q2 will still impress, i guarantee, white wallers will complain, that's their issue, non white walllers, get in there and enjoy them as they rock;

[/rant]