P3D - extended runtimes, using as bike light?

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I am going to use my p3d as a bike light, this with a p2d as my helmet light. I would like to use the turbo mode for max brightness, but have read that it is not advised.. Will the air cooling help with the heat issues so there will not be a problem or should I just stick to high mode for both the p2d and p3d, so that it is not an issue..

There is such a nice jump from high to turbo with the p3d, it would be nice to use when riding at night..

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I am just attaching using a twofish lockblock.. I used the l2d for extended runtimes with no issues.. Seems like running p3d in turbo is a hot topic on this board..

ensile

Enlightened
because of the warning in the manual.

imo, don't make a light that wont do what you advertise it to do, just to sell lights.

regardless, the p3d has status, the heat seems to be the issue, if you live in a mild climate, the air will cool the light better than any heatsink could possibly try too, that is of course, the bike is not a lowrider and you lap venice beach and other popular destinations soaking up culture and generally having the time of your life...

I need a vacation.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
No I am definitely not cruising.. I am without my HID light right now, so I am using these in a pinch.. I think I will stick to high mode on both, no sense ruining a great light..

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
The use of the p2d in turbo only yields you 1 hour of light while it goes up to 2.5 hours in high mode..

I am going to use a p2d on the helmet and p3d on the bars.. Both in high mode.. I am using rcr123's in the p3d and primaries in the p2d..

That combo will give me a solid 3 hours of light, enough for a good training ride..

For attaching to the helmet, I would advise using the twofish bikeblock, not the lockblock.. Here is a link

http://www.boomerdirect.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/1719053/1152782.htm

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
When using my homemade HID (WA bulb + ballast in very short cutdown D-cell tube) for some 5-10 mins for testing, it can never be touched because being too hot.
Mounted on the bars and used while riding, its difficult to even feel the heat, the housing feels cold, a bit warm at least. The flowing air takes it all.

--> no need to worry about the P3D

RustyKnee

Enlightened
try it...if its not hot on the outside when on the move then you have your answer....let us know the answer :).

2 fenixs won't be as good as a hid though. ok as a helmet light, not enough flood for a bar light for fast/technical offroad (just my opinion...and i assume its for a mtb as you have a hid). But if it keeps you on 2 wheels...go for it.

my cat eye triple and doubles (and my hid) all get hot if in still air, and a just warm to the touch when on the move. I imagine the fenix should be fine on turbo whenmoving, and you don't need turbo when not.

I might test mine with a fan blwing on it...same way i test my bike lights if I have been fiddling with them

Stu

Confederate

Enlightened
Instead, you might want to try one of the UltraFire Cree lights from DX. This one has a clip:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2672

And these others:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3343

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4424

Here's a nice flashlight mount, too:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.792

There are many more of all varying sizes and intensities. You're not going to need many modes on a bike, but there are many that have a medium and a high setting and are small. Why use an expensive Fenix when one of these smaller or slightly larger lights will do?

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I went with p3d on the bars and p2d on the helmet.. I will using rcr123's in the p3d and primaries in the p2d.. I will mostly be using both in high mode, with the occasion to use the p3d on turbo for darker sections of my ride.. I also have a battery case to carry some spare rcr123's in my seat pack just in case I decide to go for a long ride..

I am also trying to figure out how to mount an l1d as a taillight and use in strobe mode.. I may use a bikeblock, 2 parallel mounts and put in on the toptube..

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think turbo is fine in the hand(natural heatsink) or biking(constant airflow)

dont you think the strobe on the back might be too much:p

anyone know where to get the twofish megablock? i was wondering if i can fit a bigger flashlight(thrower) onto the frame facing forward.