Fenix L2D CE Lux compared with Lightbox

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would take my colorimeter, which is a professional device I use in my daily job, and compare the readings Doug from Flashlightreviews.com got from his "Lightbox Apparatus" when he reviewed the Fenix L2D CE.

My colorimeter @ one meter

L2D low: 250 Lux
L2D med: 843 Lux
L2D high: 1557 Lux
L2D turbo: 2559 Lux

Doug's "Lightbox Apparatus" @ one meter

L2D low: 288 Lux
L2D med: 870 Lux
L2D high: 1730 Lux
L2D turbo: 2980 Lux

Like Doug's "Lightbox Apparatus", my colorimeter is not an expensive device. It's not the best device money can buy, but it is a professional device specifically designed to measure emitted light. Thought it was interesting how close Doug's homemade device came to a commerically made device.

For those interested...
My colorimeter is a GretagMacbeth (now XRite) EyeOne Display2 and the software I used with it is called EyeOne Match 3

My L2D CE had fully charged Sanyo 2500 mAh NiMH batteries in it during testing.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Doug's light-box apparatus is used to measure overall light output. It shows the L2D-CE as:

Low: 855 Lux
Medium: 2450 Lux
High: 5000 Lux
Turbo: 8800 Lux

His measurements at one meter is not measured using his light-box apparatus and is measured with a Lux meter.

Either way, it shows that Doug is pretty accurate with his measurements.

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
Doug's light-box apparatus is used to measure overall light output. It shows the L2D-CE as:

Low: 855 Lux
Medium: 2450 Lux
High: 5000 Lux
Turbo: 8800 Lux

His measurements at one meter is not measured using his light-box apparatus and is measured with a Lux meter.

Either way, it shows that Doug is pretty accurate with his measurements.

Thanks for the the clarification. I read that he used the Lightbox Apparatus to measure total output, but missed that important detail regarding the Lux meter.

As both you and mchlwise noted, Doug's readings were very accurate. A fantasic site. Too bad it won't continue to be updated.
Is anyone with as much experience as Doug considering taking the reins to continue his work?

Last edited: