can someone tell me more about Surefire N62 LA

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
I came across some old stock today and am wondering on what type of current SF heads will this LA run?

Can this LA run on rechargeables?? 2, 3 X 18650 / C Li-ion??

Estimated runtime and lumens output etc...

Is it a good LA??

any info will be most appreciated!

defusion

Enlightened
i can't find much about it, but it appears to be a 12v 500 lumen bulb, which should fit the M4, but would probably fry the batteries in a few minutes.

mdocod

Flashaholic
It's the fastest way known to man to drain a set of CR123s besides shorting them into a copper rod.

It's also the best way to get the least amount of electrical energy and the most amount of heat energy out of a CR123.

defusion

Enlightened
mdocod, do you have any figures on it like real voltage and amperage?
that way me might be able to answer his question whether it is possible to somehow run it safely on rechargeables.

defusion

Enlightened
i found this:
N 62 12 P HOLA- 3.70A (3.35A on 2 18650 Li-Ions)
CR123's will drop to about 2.0 to 2.2v at those amperages, so it's an 8 - 8.8v bulb.
those 18650's will deliver 3.5v at those amperages, so it would be a 1v underdrive at least.
mdocod, you want to chime in on efficiency and potential output on those batteries?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The N62 was designed as a tactical entry light to be used in the PM12 and really shines with a 3" Turbo Head. Good batteries will over heat and go into thermal protection in just under three minutes and total runtime of about 12 minutes. I seem to remember there being a thread a few years ago about running it on rechargeable lithium's but not sure what the outcome was.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm sure you meant 12PM (& 12ZM)
Al ;)

P.S.
With fresh Duracell DL123A or SureFire SF123A batteries the N62 really shines in the 12PM/12ZM (especially with a 'T' 3" TurboHead rather than the stock T-62 (2.5") TurboHead, or in the M4. As previously mentioned the 12PM/12ZM was designed for maximum light output for use during "tactical entries" etc where runtime required is better measured in seconds rather than minutes. I have put many sets of DL123A and SF123A batteries through my 12PM and find the first period of 2-3 minutes (until 'thermal shutdown') to be second only to the M6's MN21 in terms of output brilliance. After than the next two periods are still impressive but as a flashaholic who loves 'white light highs' I would usually replace the batteries after the first two periods.

Note that due to the increased resistance resulting from joints I suggest that only 'whole bodies' such as the M4 and 12PM/ZM are used rather than a three-SF123A body with an A19 extender.

Further, due to the huge current draw I urge the use of the Duracell DL123A batteries (for which the N62 was designed before the SF123A was created), or SureFire's current SF123A battery which they state should be used for their products.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I don't have any guesses as to what voltage a CR123 might be expected to maintain at that kinda load, I would imagine that the difference in performance from brand to brand in that range, and even from cell to cell would be all over the map. at 2.5A they maintain about 2.25V, so at 3.7A!!!!???!!? maybe 1.75-2.00V or so....

at any rate, I'm guessing the "target voltage" for "30 hours average life" on the N62 is probably around 7.5V or so...but I really have absolutely no for-sure data to back up that claim, with that possible design in mind, a pair of 18650s would make for a decent run I think. Might be worth a shot if someone is willing to risk it...

at those power demands, a CR123 would deliver a fraction of it's potential power, a poor implementation of power management IMO. The N62 would be for a government funded unit, lol.

mdocod

Flashaholic
You are a bit confused about the compatibility there.

The M3, M3T, M4, and M6, all share the same *threads* at the head.
The M3 has a bezel that screwes down over the threads and secures a reflector over a shallower lamp assembly.
The M3T, M4, and M6 all share a basically identacle larger reflector/head. That head can be attatched to an M3 body to make it an M3T. A KT4 is interchangeable with the M3T, M4, and M6, the heads on all can be swapped around in any fasion.
The only turbo heads compatible with the C series are the KT1 and KT2, which have the smaller threads.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I played with an N62 for a while before the globe turned cloudy. It was fantastic for the first few minutes, but as the batteries depleted, it did not seem any more dazzling than the MN61.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M3, M3T, M4, and M6 bodies all share the same "Millennium Series" *threads* at the bezel end.

The M3T, M4, and M6 all use the Millennium TurboHead.
The Millennium TurboHead can be used on the M3 body to create an M3T.
However, different Lamp Assemblies are required (the MN15 & MN16).
The KT4 TurboHead Kit features the Millennium TurboHead and the MN15 & MN16 Lamp Assemblies and is the kit designed to convert an M3 into an M3T.

The only current TurboHead Kits compatible with the 'standard body' aka C series (6P/G2/C3 etc) are the KT1 and KT2. The "KT" TurboHead requires an adapter collar (supplied with the KT1 & KT2 kits).

The most important thing to remember is that each flashlight has specific Lamp Assemblies and that using the wrong Lamp Assembly can cause it to die very quickly, perhaps even explode.

The topic of SureFire TurboHead is complicated and complex. There have been good threads on TurboHeads here in the past.

Al

BSBG

Enlightened
I had a 12Zm several years ago. Brilliant, blinding light until it sucked the bateries dry in a few minutes. The manual was full of warnings about thermal shutdown with extended (5 min+) runtimes. I don't think I miss it...

defusion

Enlightened
Is the mn 61 plus m4 compatable with 18650 x2 batts ??
the MN61 is designed for 12v, it will work with 2 18650's, but they won't fit the standard M4 body. and it would give a realy nasty orange color and be very inefficient.

defusion

Enlightened
Defusion

Even if i had a leafy tube its really not worth it ?

So the most effecient batteries for the MN61 would be the cr123a x4 ?
no, 3 li-ions would be even more efficient and white, but bulb life would probably be about 5 hours, so really expensive bulb-wise.

if you want to run on 2 li-ions, i suggest the MN15 for about 125lm or MN20 for about 250lm. there's also some stuff from lumens factory that would work, the EO-M3T and HO-M3T. and if you dare run on unprotected batteries the MN21 would be an option for over 500lm out of the front. i really suggest looking at this thread for possible options.

Latest posts