Ultrafire C3 2AA came with CREE Q2 from DX???

lightbug

Enlightened
Received two C3 with 2AA extension from DX yesterday. Realized the emitters on both units have 4 bonding wires in each of them.
As far as I know, all my previous ordered CR-E P4 have 3 wires on the LED die and only the XR-E Q2 using 4 bonding wires on the die.

Is this a new design for the CREE P4 emitter, or am I getting a Q2?:confused:
Either way, I'm happy with them. :twothumbs :D

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
Re: XR-E Q2 in Ultrafire C3 2AA from DX???

wow! hope you are right - I am waiting for my C3 plus extender to arrive. Is it noticeably brighter than your other Cree/Seoul P4 lights?

lightbug

Enlightened
Hi Lexina,
I didn't take any pictures to compare. Just by eye ball experience, C3 running with 2xAA is noticeably brighter than my Jetbeam C-LE on medium mode with 14500. When Jetbeam C-LE running on high mode, the C3 is not as bright. C-LE became quite warm running on medium mode for 3 minutes, but C3 is barely warm if not cool.

Comparing to Ultrafire C2, the C3 is similar. I think the C3 is probably under driving, maybe only 500 MA when running at 3V.

sPEARs

Newly Enlightened
P1040877s.jpg

i dun believe ultrafire will use Q2 in such low cost light

p.s.this is my UF C2 and purchase from stall in China

sku_4095_2.jpg

This is new 602D(with clickie) @ DX

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the design with the extra bond-wire simply means that the emitter was produced later. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a higher bin.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, the way that the LEDs are desigend is that Cree always tries to make the LEDs as efficient as possible. due to natural variations in the manufacturing process, particular variations in the phosphors, some end up being more efficient than others. Once produced, I believe the emitters are tested and sorted into bins based on performance. Emitters that are produced more recently shoudl have a higher probability of ending up in a higher bin (as the manufacturing process improves) but it's no guarantee. Ultrafire is still probably buying batches of Px bins, rather than Qx.