HELP WITH MALWARE ATTCAK

colubrid

Enlightened
I just removed Norton anti virus and replaced it with Avast. Then I get pop ups and constan chaos.

I have one thing that I cannot remove from my screen and that is an aniti syware program. The malware pop up that i can't remove is WinAntispyware. I CLIKED ON IT AND THINGS GOT WORSE. IT SAYS THEY WANT ME TO REGISTER AND PAY $39. TO REMOVE.

Says: browser Helper Object trying to be added

Name: tadqleex.dll
Path: C:\windows\/system32\tadqleex.dll
progress.gif

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
AVAST isn't the best (and especially not against such malware). I always recommend Eset NOD32, it's the best antivirus (it won every official antivirus test).

But try SpyBot - it's free and pretty effective - I have been using it myself for a long time, never had any problems...
http://www.spybot.com/en/index.html
Then just run it, click to check the whole computer and also click the "Immunize" button, it will close nearly all "back-doors" in Internet Explorer (if you use this browser).

If it doesn't work - here instructions how to remove the malware you got:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic18610.html

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never click on any ads for anti-malware. They are apt to be malware.

Ever since I got I.E.7, I've been running it with add-ons disabled. Am I the only one?

I've never been infected, but various versions of I.E. would often hang, usually when I tried to kill it. That rarely if ever happens when I run with add-ons disabled.

colubrid

Enlightened
Daniel_sk- I am going to run spybot. Thing is my computer is going so crazy I wonder if it will even let me. I will get back with the results.

eluminator- How do I disable add-ons?

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I downloaded a pop-up blocker - I got more pop-ups than before.

I finally did an init on the hard drive and started over again, much better now. I did copy off my stuff to an external hard drive.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
eluminator- How do I disable add-ons?

Click All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

It's a pain to navigate there every time. So instead of clicking on it, you can right click on it and then click "Pin to Start Menu". If you are really clever you can then move it to the Quick Launch.

I think the "Pin to Start Menu" thing needs the default XP interface. If you have changed to the "classic interface", you'll have to face the fact that Windows 3.1 is gone and won't be back so get over it and revert to the XP standard. :)

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
Go here:

http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Follow the directions in the first thread before you post. These guys will walk you through step by step and help you. It may take some time. But they are good, and they'll help. They are volunteers... great bunch of people.

They helped me fix a friends computer.

Good Luck!

Mark

WhatMACHI

Newly Enlightened

I finally did an init on the hard drive and started over again, much better now. I did copy off my stuff to an external hard drive.

Chances are your downloading more garbage by downloading the pop-up blockers. My family always download these random blockers which tend to be more malwar.

Ive stick with AVG, AdAware, Spybot and Firefox for the past few years and have not encountered ONE virus to which i was worried, or even anything small which i was worried. All i got was random cookies which i cleared every couple weeks which come from visiting sites normally.

Best thing to accompany any good anti-virus is a clever mind. Know what to click and what not to click, and if you visit sketchy sites expect them to throw something bad at you.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

As others have said, you were probably infected with something. I don't think there's much need for any special pop-up blockers now because the standard programs guard against it. So if you get a lot of pop-ups, you should find out how to find and remove the malware.

Also as others have said, never download pop-up blockers or other anti-malware software you see advertised.

In addition to the good anti-malware software mentioned previously, SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender are good.

When I say good, I mean they aren't malware. How good they are at protecting your computer, I can't say, but I use them.

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
Get SpywareBlaster its the first line of defense it won't clean up the mess but it really helps keep the spyware away. Its small fast and free just keep it udated !

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always recommend Eset NOD32, it's the best antivirus (it won every official antivirus test).

I wonder about how thorough the tests are. I'm not arguing, just wondering.

I have McAfee and it does other stuff. Whether what it does is useful or not I don't know. For instance whenever I install a program, McAfee is sure to pop up a window or two about possible damage being done to the registry or system files.

Every time I start Foxit, McAfee pops up a warning about a registry change. No other program causes this. I'm sure Foxit is good, but it must be doing something strange with the registry.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at this.

As for the spyware, I use a combination of spyware blaster (which blocks them fron entering the system in the first place), spybot and spyware eliminator. Still have to find one that will pass through the blaster and not be wiped clean by the other two.

And for the resident antivirus, I recommend AVG free.

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
Re: HELP WITH MALWARE ATTACK

It sounds like your computer was working fine until you removed Norton. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Antivirus programs alone don't necessarily stop malware. You need a combination of programs or a suite.

Norton Internet Security Suite 2007 and Norton 360 are highly recommended by all of the current computer magazine reviews. Norton is no longer the memory hog that it once was.

Good luck!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HELP WITH MALWARE ATTACK

I use firefox, and have religiously been using Spybot S&D with the immunize function. Even snuck it into work and used it after the IT guys had to clean up spyware on my computer there - it found several others and ripped them out.

Spybot is free, but they accept donations - I have donated several times and recommend other users do the same so the author can keep updating the software.

Note that the TeaTimer realtime checker in Spybot has a slight rendering problem when it pops up a message, making it difficult to press the button to accept/deny a registry change. There are fixes available and I'll send you a copy of my S&D Teatimer exe (v 1.4 S&D) which has been fixed if you need it - just send me an email.

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
In my experience no one AV or anti-spyware app can catch everything. If you have a bad infection, or multiple threats, you need to use several programs to scan for the bad stuff.

the forums at http://forums.spybot.info/ are a great place to get info and help.

Mark