Which Cree drop-in is the best for LEO use?

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a Cree drop-in for my SF C3 that I will be using, I am a LEO. Which is best, Lighthound's , Bug-Out-Gear, or PTS. I will be using 2 17500 Li-Ion's in the light. Any help will be appreciated. Real use experience is a + as are beamshots.

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
No ideas at all? I can't believe all those flashaholics out there and nobody has any opinion on this subject at all? Any fellow LEO's out there I would appreciate your advice or thoughts about which led drop in is the best Lighthound's, Bug-Out-Gear, PTS.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the Wolf-Eyes drop-ins, either 170lumen or 130lumen offerings. They seem very well built and thought out.

jbviau

Enlightened
I think the 2-stage is only sold in Australia. PTS is supposed to have a 4-stage Cree drop-in coming out in early July (100%-20%-2%-strobe).

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 2-stage is only sold in Australia. PTS is supposed to have a 4-stage Cree drop-in coming out in early July (100%-20%-2%-strobe).

Accourding to what Mike from PTS told me the 2 mode drop-in should be available early in July IIRC. I think what you were refering to is the WE Defender D2AX 2 stage light it's self.

jbviau

Enlightened
You're right: Mike at PTS will have a 2-stage drop-in that's 170 lumens-strobe. The 2-stage drop-in that's only sold in Australia (by Glen C and possibly others) in a Defender 2 body is 170-lumens-17 lumens. I'm looking forward to getting Mike's 4-stage drop-in, but these sound really nice too.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right: Mike at PTS will have a 2-stage drop-in that's 170 lumens-strobe. The 2-stage drop-in that's only sold in Australia (by Glen C and possibly others) in a Defender 2 body is 170-lumens-17 lumens. I'm looking forward to getting Mike's 4-stage drop-in, but these sound really nice too.

If the 2 stage drop-in with strobe is as bright as I think it will be, it just might replace my Insight H2X Typhoon.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
One nice thing for a LEO with the two stage is if the bezel is screwed down to enable the high position it will always come on in the high position.
Nothing worse than expecting a blast of bright light and your light powers up in low mode. :shakehead
Norm

To make this clear, there is 1 two stage defender (high and low) that works by twisting the bezel and Glen has some of these right now I think.
This is the model I was referring to, Glen has them in stock.

Last edited:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Hi Guys,
Wolf Eyes will have more than 10 different configurations of the Cree modules.
To make this clear, there is 1 two stage defender (high and low) that works by twisting the bezel and Glen has some of these right now I think.

PTS is going to stock the digital 4 mode (100%, 20% 2% and strobe) and a custom digital 2 mode (100% and strobe) for tactical/weapons use. The digital modules work by the rear clicky - on and off to cycle through or wait 2 seconds to reset.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DX's Cree $12.50 is worth a try I reckon. Its cheap construction but the important bits are well done, ie reflector, circuit housing threads, centering of the LED. Much better than Litemania's V2 offering. Brighter and more sidespill. Unofrtuntely I do not have any WE's or Bug-Out GEar drop ins to compare (they are mucho $$$). Why not KL3 or KL5? (Opps again Mucho $$$$$)

This is a beamshot of P3D on Turbo x DX's cree
http://i.pbase.com/o6/52/449952/1/80493093.bFWkzFD7._D2H8385.jpg
And this is the DX cree on its own @ 1 meter. The Centre spot is 8"diameter. Its a thrower.
http://i.pbase.com/o6/52/449952/1/80492837.4NuvfcPI._D2H8383.jpg

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
depusm12,
I am using Wolf-Eyes XR-E Cree 3.7v-13v 130 lumen drop-in's from PTS in both my Z2 and 9P. I have no experience with Lighthounds or Bug-Out-Gear.
In the 9P I am using two AW 17500's. This bulb is much brighter than the KL3 head. The KL3 runs longer but the bezel is also much larger than a stock 9P bezel. The cree is as bright as the original P90 bulb with three times the runtime.
I still like using high power incandescent bulbs like the P91 for a primary light because the street lights wash out the LED pretty badly. However, for a second light for backup, utility use, and situations where you cannot get to backup supplies the Cree adds runtime.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Depusm
While i have a Defender II, i do not use it at work, just prefer my Raider i am afraid and the Defender really can't compete with the Raider's output. That said if i was carrying a Sniper or similar 6V light i would definately replace it with the Defender.

I am not 100% convinced on the useability/purpose of the new 2 stage high/strobe, i much prefer the option of a low/high configuration. I also don't like the idea of having to click between the modes, 2 seconds can be a lifetime in some situations, the Defender II offers a great high/low with a simple UI, the twist of the bezel required to change between modes is small enough that with a little practice you will quite easily work out high and low starting points hence make it almost impossible to start in the wrong mode.

winston

Enlightened
Looking for a Cree drop-in for my SF C3 that I will be using, I am a LEO. Which is best, Lighthound's , Bug-Out-Gear, or PTS. I will be using 2 17500 Li-Ion's in the light. Any help will be appreciated. Real use experience is a + as are beamshots.

I prefer not to think about how many different varieties of these I have purchased. :sigh:

Of the kajillion or so in my inventory, I can say without hesitation that the Wolf Eyes 170lm humbles all others. Output, build quality, versatility, and range of input voltages are all :twothumbs

Now the disclaimer: The only two I haven't tried (BOG and Malkoff) are the two that sound like they could trump the WolfEyes, so my authority to proclaim a winner is sort of dubious.
I also should mention that I've omitted any multistage modules. I decided to do that because a quick survey of a few friends from PD turned up zero interest in anything other than "On" and "Off" modes, though my friends are not necessarily an accurate sample group. I mean, I love the guys and all, but :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::D
-Winston

Enlightened
Here are my practical beamshots done with the DX "12.50" drop-in and the WE 170 drop-in. The WE module has a much wider hotspot than the DX one. Spill is much bigger as you can see. The reflector on the WE isn't as "deep" as the one from DX. The DX would be better for spotting. For now the WE will be the one on my Sam Browne due to the module being much more durable in build than the DX.
I really need to get my hands on a BOG Premium Plus module to compare.

Wolf-Eyes 170 on 2xRCR123 (7.4v)
WE170_filtered.jpg

DX Cree module on 3xCR123 (9v)
9PCreeoutdoor_filtered.jpg

Last edited:

jbviau

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots. I wonder if the Wolf Eyes drop-in would be brighter on primaries? I have the 130 lumens WE drop-in, and I have to say that it looks a lot more like the bottom picture than the top one!

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots. I wonder if the Wolf Eyes drop-in would be brighter on primaries? I have the 130 lumens WE drop-in, and I have to say that it looks a lot more like the bottom picture than the top one!

I'm headed to Lighthound in 30 mins to pick up a few things. I'll get some primaries and retest the WE tonight.

Will update..

Latest posts