Pick 1- Fenix L1D, Dexlight X, Rexlight 2.0

moses

Enlightened
Greetings to all,

Sorry for this elementary post. Looking to get an AA LED and narrowed down to the three below.

IF all are the same price (they are not, with the Fenix being $15 more) - what would you pick?

My priorities are:
1. Brightness with NiHd and Alkaline AA. Unlikely to be using Lithiums in these so ultimate brightness with 3.7 vots etc is unimportant.
2. Converter efficiency to squeeze the last bit of power/brightness out of the battery when camping.

3. This is less of a priority but ease of use is a nice thing too which leads me to wonder if the 16 stages (!) is too much of a good things....:)
4. Also less of a priority but would like nice tint at low power setting - meaning little tint shift. I will be using very low power for night adjusted eyes. No idea of PWM will bug me or not as I've not used one before.

Fenix L1D CE
http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50&products_id=70

Dexlight 16 mode here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2888

Rexlight 2.0
https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1359

Open to any other suggestions but these are the only 3 I found that has the stages that I'd like. (real dim, medium, real high)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mo

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would pick the Fenix L1D CE- I own it myself. It's the best in terms of efficiency (it runs over 20 hours on low, which is actually bright enough for 95% activities). I don't know about the tint - I think I had luck with my L1D CE, it's a warm white color - the color doesn't change that much when switching between the modes, but it's little more warmer on low setting. Also it doesn't use PWM, which is a good point, I think :cool:.

mchlwise

Enlightened
yeah, didn't have to get past halfway through priority 1. to say "Fenix."

I've got a Fenix L1Dce, a Dexlight, and have handled a Rexlight.

If you're using lithiums and want to retain various brightness settings, I'd recommend the Dexlight.

BUT, since this isn't your case, definitely the L1Dce.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got the Rexlight, but, to answer your question get the Fenix. Reports show it to be more efficient.

Geoff

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Fenix L1D, and if size isn't really that important think about the L2D. I have it and really like it. It's 135 lumens in turbo vs 90 lumens for the L1D and you get twice the runtime.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the Fenix. The Fenix is more efficient - look through some reviews and tests. I believe it uses a constant current regulator as opposed to a PWM one and is more efficient. Lower outputs modes become more efficient.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the L1D. I own one and love it. In fact, I carry 3 Fenix lights on me whenever I leave the house. P3D CE on my belt loop, L1D CE in my pocket, and an LOD CE on my key chain.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the L1D CE. Extra battery efficiency with regular AAs is more than worth the price difference. Eventually, you can get an extra body to make a L2DCE or a body/switch to make a P2D.

moses

Enlightened
Well......looks like the verdict is in - L1D by a long margin.

Follow-up: Does the L1D remember the last stage of brightness before turning off or does it always reset?

Also, don't see tubes/bodies for sale.

That's what I appreciate about my 3 stage AA from Millermod. Totally manual - turn the head for stages, click it for on-off. I see that Fenix has taken his idea somewhat and patented it too no less! (Miller mod got 80% efficiency at 1.8 watts into the LED. That's pretty incredible stuff.)

Anyways, love to hear any other thoughts but looks like L1D is the fave.

Thanks!

Mo

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
get the L1d q2 from fenix and the L2d body as well ...then you will be rockin:twothumbs

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Another vote for the L1D or L2D. Use NiMH rechargeables for more run time than alkalines.

Both of these lights reset to the low setting after being off for approximately 2 seconds when using the "regular" mode. In turbo mode, there is only the one light level, plus strobe, so it will be on high when you turn it on.

In reality, with regular alkies or NiMH, the L1D does not have a turbo mode. Turbo is the same as high. Still very bright. For true turbo you need the L2D. Or perhaps AA lithiums would give you turbo mode in the L1D for a while, haven't tried that.