Car (truck) Audio question for the brains!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Apparently since we changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor in my Dads '91 F150 he gets ignition noise in the AM band of a decent radio that I can't remember the brand of just now.

I had it in my F350 and it was always good.

He wants to know is there a wire in filter of some sort?

I know SOMEONE here knows!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet is to take it to a car stereo/radio shop that does installs. You will spend more money buying noise filters that don't work. The stereo/radio shops know all the tricks.
Apparently since we changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor in my Dads '91 F150 he gets ignition noise in the AM band of a decent radio that I can't remember the brand of just now.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The truck is starting to almost BEG to be replaced. I changed the harmonic balancer and the front seal and for a while it stopped puking oil.

The oil leak is back with a vengence!

The thing has more squeaks and rattles than Carter has little pills!

And we pretty much CAN'T take to a shop.

edit: It is not a high-zoot sound system either. One stock speaker and one that I had left over from SOMETHING and the radio that was in mt F350 that has a CD player.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are most likely picking up noise from the sparkplug wires, there are different types of wires, You should check to see if got the noise suppression type. If you got performance type, they deliver a better spark, but generate a lot of noise on the AM band.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

The plug wires are most likely the cause. Not all types of plug wires have RFI suppression. The wire's core is offered in different types like solid, graphite, glass and maybe others since my motorhead days.

Looks like will beat me to the punch

Last edited:

jph

Newly Enlightened
Make sure the the head unit is grouned, unplug the ant. and see if it still works.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are most likely picking up noise from the sparkplug wires

If the noise problem cropped up after replacing the wires, I'm inclined to agree. Since it's a Ford, use MOTORCRAFT wires. Trust me dude, auto parts store wires do NOT cut it. Doesn't matter if you paid the extra few bucks for the "premium" Bosch, silicon, spiral-wrapped or whatever wires, the only aftermarket wires worth a darn are MSD, and OEM wires rule.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same general problem with my car, but it was no matter what I listened to (AM, FM, XM, CD) I would hear the hum of the engine. It slowly went away, but when I asked on a forum what it could be, I got a variety of possibilities. Crossed wires, loose ground, bad battery, dieing alternator, head unit dieing. I did nothing to fix it, and it slowly went away. Occasionally gets a little louder, but disappears again. In reality, I don't think it ever entirely goes away, just gets fairly quiet. Plus I have the stereo up rather loud most of the time, so I just don't hear it.

I looked at noise filters, but after some research, it appeared they didn't do great jobs...

-C