P2D CE and rechargables

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened

Dobbler

Enlightened
I have three P2D's, and the 3.0v RCR123 Tenergy's power each of them. All levels work just fine.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I had some rechargeable 123s that I tried to use in a P2Dce. I got them from Kaidomain (I think... if not it was Deal Extreme) and they were supposed to be 3.0 volts.

I don't have a way to measure them, but fresh off the charger I lost low and medium modes. :green:

Never tried the Tenergys, but if they truly come off at 3.0 volts and low really is low, I'll have to get some.

edit: My runtimes were around 30 minutes on high.

gunga

Flashaholic
I had a P2D and ran it with the 3.2V AW LiFEPO4s.

I sold the P2D because I got no low mode and the runtimes were not great. DIdn't want to run primaries. I dunno, probably should have just bought 20 primaries and not bothered with rechargables...

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.
I have the Q2 version. I haven't had any trouble using my tenergy 3.0V batteries either. Works great. The only problem that I have noticed is that when the over drain protection cuts in, the light just goes out. You don't notice any dimming or anything, it just stops. I think the tenergy's cut out is around 2.5 volts. I suspected that would happen, so I wasn't too surprised. I just carry another light as back up.

Confederate

Enlightened
Interesting. I bought some LC16340 RCR123s from Deal Extreme and just noticed the plastic jackets have receded up the battery on two of the cells. They're at different levels and I don't recall whether they came this way or not. At any rate, they don't appear to be recharging and they're both brand new. Could heat cause them to recede like this? They worked when I packed them in my suitcase.

bspofford

Enlightened
I agree that Tenergy 3.0V li-ion cells are probably the best choice. The actually charge to about 3.6V but drop to 3.0 with a load. The low voltage protection is a plus, but you might want to carry a second charged battery as a backup. All modes work fine, and they are labeled 900 mAh. BTW, the recommended Battery Junction charger seems to be the same as the Soshine at DX. I also like the Nano charger.

x2x3x2

Banned
Curious to know, what kinda runtime are u guys getting with those 3.0V tenergy cells on High mode?

In my full review of the P2D CE, I did tests with Soshine 3.0V charged with WF-138 seto to 3.7 (not 3.0V) got a total runtime of 90 mins of regulation, and drops sharply after.

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
Curious to know, what kinda runtime are u guys getting with those 3.0V tenergy cells on High mode?

In my full review of the P2D CE, I did tests with Soshine 3.0V charged with WF-138 seto to 3.7 (not 3.0V) got a total runtime of 90 mins of regulation, and drops sharply after.

Agreed. Would be nice to know. If no one posts runtimes, I'll post them when I get my batteries and charger, but that'll more than a month from today.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased an Ultralast charger with two rechargeable 123A cells. On full charge, they measure 3.4 volts, and installed in the P2D, there is no low, and medium mode.

Edit: after running it for a couple of minutes, it runs on medium, high, and Max.

Last edited:

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased an Ultralast charger with two rechargeable 123A cells. On full charge, they measure 3.4 volts, and installed in the P2D, there is no low, and medium mode.

Edit: after running it for a couple of minutes, it runs on medium, high, and Max.

Return them. Tenergy's work perfect in the P2D. Voltage after charging is 4 volts and all modes work fine. Sorry, no runtimes yet. Haven't cycled them enough to have full capacity yet, but it's long. I don't really worry, because I have four cells and so there's always a spare available.

Phaetos

Enlightened
So what kind of times do you get off primaries? Particularly the Energizer E2 Lithiums sold on fenix-store's site. I am fixing to order a P2D-CE from there and figured it would be cheaper than getting them from wal-mart, where i can get 2 for $10 :eek: or 4 of the E2's for $9.50. Will I get the same brightness off primaries as rechargeables?