Malkoff        

Thread: Damaged eyes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Damaged eyes?

Hi,
    I own what claimed to be a 240mw laser, which is actually 31mw. Anyways, earlier today I was cleaning the lens on the laser when I went to take a look at it. I accidently pressed the button about 6" away from my right eye. It went completely blind for about 10 seconds, and then seemed fine. So I continued to clean it. I realized that I have a tiny spot now where ever I look. When my eyes slide out of focus it disapears. However when I try to look at something in detail there is a gray spot. Could I have damaged my eye permanantly with only a 31mw laser ?

Default Re: Damaged eyes?

I would recommend removing the batteries next time you're cleaning it. I really hope you haven't done permanent damage, I've heard of people doing the same thing and the spots lasted for up to a few days in some cases.

Sorry to hear. Afraid you'll get mainly bad news from this thread.

31mW by itself is enough to cause permanent damage. Power levels as low as 10mW can cause serious damage. This would be compounded by the IR light that you'd get from a 240mW ebay laser.

A bit late given the damage has already been done but i'd see an optometrist.

oh man... that sucks...

D'oh!

The question is how close to the center of vision (macula) did you hit? Yes a laser at that power level can do serious and permanent damage to your retina. Even at 30mW.. however it's quite possible the lasers output varies considerably so you may have blasted your eye with a lot more that 30mW, point blank.

Good luck

PS If you did blast your macula that's very bad news.

See an eye doctor asap, especially if you have vision problems!

PPS Welcome to the tatoo'd retina club
    Last edited by FloggedSynapse; 06-21-2007 at 11:31 PM.

You didn't say the color/frequency of your laser. If its a greenie or other DPSS then you might have one of the "ebay specials" that doesn't have an IR filter and may have 30mw of green but much much more infrared output. I'm only saying this because you say it only appears to be in that range.

If that's the case then you could have easily blasted yourself with a high mw of light and you should go get checked out.

Sorry to say so

If this is the "240mW" laser that's been advertised on Ebay as of late, the infrared content is surprisingly low - I have one of these and determined this via spectroscopy.

stephenmadpotato, look into the mirror do you see this "I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON".and now write 1000 lines "TAKE BATTERIES OUT WHEN CLEANING MY LASER".hope you are ok.
    Last edited by TITAN1833; 06-22-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: add
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

think you got the wrong person

I was just about to make a post concerning this issue when I saw this in the thread list.

I have purchased a "200mW" green laser from Dealextreme, and this has happened to me. I will not go into details, the point is, 5 or 6 inches away from my eye, directly into the macula, 0.5 sec or so exposure. It's been 3 days now, and It seems to have gotten very slightly better, but I'm still missing vision in the very center of my right eye. I am so {censored} scared right now, you don't even know it. It's even worse for me as I'm only 16 and I already have a very bad left eye. I can't get it off of my mind. I cannot believe that for the rest of my life I will have a little dot in the center of my vision. I can read computer text but I need to take two passes at things occasionally. I don't know where I can find an optometrist to see asap, I'll have to check with someone as I don't want to tell my parents.

Is there anything that can be done? Like stimulating the area with flashes of light to make it better? I am hoping so much that this spot will go away... I feel for this thread starter right now. I am NEVER playing with lasers again.
    Last edited by The_LED_Museum; 06-27-2007 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Edited out a toliet word.

Quote Originally Posted by k00zk0 View Post

I have purchased a "200mW" green laser from Dealextreme, and this has happened to me. I will not go into details, the point is, 5 or 6 inches away from my eye, directly into the macula, 0.5 sec or so exposure. It's been 3 days now, and It seems to have gotten very slightly better, but I'm still missing vision in the very center of my right eye. I am so f*&^%$g scared right now, you don't even know it. It's even worse for me as I'm only 16 and I already have a very bad left eye. I can't get it off of my mind. I cannot believe that for the rest of my life I will have a little dot in the center of my vision. I can read computer text but I need to take two passes at things occasionally. I don't know where I can find an optometrist to see asap, I'll have to check with someone as I don't want to tell my parents.

Is there anything that can be done? Like stimulating the area with flashes of light to make it better? I am hoping so much that this spot will go away... I feel for this thread starter right now. I am NEVER playing with lasers again.
    Let your your parents help immediately.
    Edit the bad language

Flashaholic

k00zk0,
    Definitely get to an eye doctor. They may not have anything that can cure your eye instantly, but I read that they can give you vitamins that will promote healing.

I read somewhere else about someone making the same mistake, and his vision was fine after a few months. It really depends on how bad you damaged your retina. Go see an eye doctor!

double post
    Last edited by nuggett; 06-27-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: double post

This thread greatly saddens me. I had considered buying a laser for fun, then thought better not with 2 young girls around. Too easy have an accident.

BB guns are in the same category. They are not given the respect they deserve.
    My eye doctor friend has remove 25 eyeballs from bb gun injuries.

An idiot "friend" fired a bb which hit 1" below my eye many years ago. Lucked out.

I truely wish you both a full recovery.
    Today 01:31 AM

Enlightened

That reminds me of when some numbnut decided to blast me w/ 40W q-switched green laserscope during a laser light show setup. Thank goodness I was about 100 feet away and the beam wasn't collimated that well. It caused something similar to what you'r going through that lasted about 2 weeks. Needless to say i quit that job.

Anyway, You should take about 2000mg of vitamin C and 250-500IU of vitamin E for a week, lutien suplements, as well as 100% rda of vitamin A or bata caratine. This will help lessen the effects of secondary free radical oxidatitve stress in the injured area. If there is perminent damage and it's small enough, eventually, your eye will ignore the damaged portion and fill in the gap with a light blurry spot matching the color of the surrounding.

Considder yourself very lucky that you didn't fry your eyball out completerly, and next time TAKE THE BATTERIES OUT!

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by k00zk0 View Post
    ...directly into the macula, 0.5 sec or so exposure. It's been 3 days now, and It seems to have gotten very slightly better, but I'm still missing vision in the very center of my right eye. I am so {censored} scared right now, you don't even know it.
    I never shined laser in my eyes, but I got a spot and wavy hairline in my right eye that can be seen in the bright light. I am almost certain, I got it from testing video games at Microsoft, particularly xbox games on TV. I remember my eyes hurting so bad first couple weeks, I would have to close them ocationally. Computer games were ok, no problem, I've been playing them for long time before, but it's the refresh rate of TV that hurt the most. I also had to work overtime very often, so 10 hours a day was too much. The spot doesn't bother me much, but it's not so bad.

Also, DO NOT try to "stimulate" your eye by flashing light or what not. It's like getting a sand in your eyes and trying to clear it out by flashing with rubbing alcohol.

even green laser pointers can damage your eyes that's according to Mayo clinic opthalmologists

http://greenlaserpointer.blogspot.co...cause-eye.html
    Last edited by laserblue; 10-27-2007 at 07:13 AM.
    CNI Laser 5mw,Lightvision 5mw 1,Luxeon 1W
    http://www.acnetreatmentlab.com - lifesaver 4me

Flashaholic

I'm a new 50mW green laser owner and am worried about even looking at the reflected light indoors due to reading about its possible high IR output. I have a recent predating artifact in my vision that looks like a raindrop on a camera lens when I blink or squint, most likely due to briefly looking into several LED torches I recently bought (why didn't it occur to me to at least use sunglasses). I use some welding goggles I happen to have when using it indoors or when unsucessfully trying to light a match or burn myself, it's simply not worth risking my vision at all just for some trivial laser use. I have been wondering if pointing the laser eg. at the ceiling and looking at the reflected light on a wall is dangerous, it might only be the IR equivalent of looking at a bar heater.

Flashaholic

Does anyone know at what distance a handheld laser can damage eyesight?
    The beam does diverge with distance, though only very slightly.

The stupidty of pointing lasers at persons, or vehicles containing persons, hopefully does not need repeating here. But what about pointing a laser into apparently empty sky, as is often done, could this endanger the sight of crew in high flying military airplanes? (some of which fly so high as to be not readily visible)

Or what about the practice of directing a laser onto a distant mountain top, could this damage the sight of anyone on the mountain? (who at a distance of perhaps 10 miles would not be visible to the laser user)

Or even taken to the extreme, would a laser directed at the moon be dangerous to anyone on the moon? (i know the moon is empty now, but in future?)

I'm not sure exaxtly what kind of doctor I'm seeing tomorrow, but they say they can look at my retina and tell me what to do. I'll update asap and say what they have said

Yeah, I do realise its my brain compensating for the lack of vision. Thats why I said it "seems" to be getting better :X

Enlightened

Honestly, I hope that you're okay in the end.

This is why the FDA requires high powered lasers to have a 3-second delay, key switch, aperture shutter, etc. To anybody who doesn't like the safety features, just think that a delay or key switch could have saved this poor guy a trip to the doctor. Many people buy the cheap pointers with no safety features for the "convenience", but what's convenient about a retinal injury?

These stories also make me feel sad because these accidents can be with you the rest of your life. Even if you see an O.D. Optometrist they can still recognize retinal damage....but will likely refer you to a retinal M.D. Opthalmologist. Good Luck!

Here's my story...

I bought a 10mw leadlight laser about a year ago i modified it changing the resistors, maxed out the pot, realized it was a little too bright so i knocked the pot back to half way, it visually now gives around 50 - 60mw and i'm very happy at the power....

however even with it fluctuating slightly if left too long on or when it over heats it produces a dual beam (mode switching?) if used for short periods it's fine problem free but...

Twice now i've hit a window / mirror and had the beam hit my eye full on, it was not a point blank but, but for 20 minutes or so all i could see was a green line of dots, blinking my eyes and seeing green blobs over everything... after about an hour or so, the dots went away BUT....

Now i'm not sure if the laser did this or not, but the brightness or intensity level of objects at night or low light don't show in the center, best way to describe this is in a dark room with a little light, you see objects, imagine a white towel, if i look straight at the towel i barely see it, but if i look slightly to the side of it in any direction, i see the white towel...

I'm short sighted have been since the age of about 12, too much using the computer, but this recent problem due to the laser ? anyone else have a similar issue? My brother-in-law sees "black dots" everywhere he looks in bright light due to doing some welding and i assume that's similar to what these people on here talk about, but can the intensity damage the way light is processed?

Quote Originally Posted by tobjectpascal View Post
    Now i'm not sure if the laser did this or not, but the brightness or intensity level of objects at night or low light don't show in the center, best way to describe this is in a dark room with a little light, you see objects, imagine a white towel, if i look straight at the towel i barely see it, but if i look slightly to the side of it in any direction, i see the white towel...
    My 93 year old grandmother has that problem (she says since her cataract operation/s), especially with stars.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Everyone has that "problem" as it is physiological (normal).
    In simple terms ... the center of vision of the retina is better equipped to see colorful and sharp but isn't as effective when there's almost not enough light ... which means there is a threshhold where you just don't see an object when looking at it directly while you can see it when focussing on a spot just next to it.

You can test this with stars ... try focussing on dim stars and they will disappear ... and reappear when you look away.

bernhard
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    Everyone has that "problem" as it is physiological (normal).
    In simple terms ... the center of vision of the retina is better equipped to see colorful and sharp but isn't as effective when there's almost not enough light ... which means there is a threshhold where you just don't see an object when looking at it directly while you can see it when focussing on a spot just next to it.

You can test this with stars ... try focussing on dim stars and they will disappear ... and reappear when you look away.

bernhard

That's good to know thank you, my laser never did it, at least that's one less thing to worry about

This phenomenon doesn't mean that you haven't laser-induced eye damage in addition to it, of course. I was merely explaining the physiology of the human eye.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.