Acebeam        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 109

Thread: Damaged eyes?

  1. #61
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    As for the drops, they are just an anti-inflammatory
    Unfortunately you are dead wrong. Those are Steroid drops, and one of the strongest ones at that. I have no intention of educating you about the inherent dangers of steroid medication and locally applicated steroids in the eye as this would take the thread too far off topic.

    BUT ... please ... it is about time that you learn something from your mistakes. You are using medicaments you don't really know in just the same irresponsible manner as you use your lasers.

    There is a reason we do have experts at our disposal. Doctors in this case. Use them. They do know more than you do. Listen to their advice.

    bernhard


    EDIT: too slow. What he said
    Last edited by Kiessling; 07-04-2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: too slow ...
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    I edited my first post, and why would you claim that I'm using them irresponsibly? The doctor told me I should use them.. I simply said what it says on the package that they MAY be used that way; I never said that its smart to do so.

    If they're so dangerous why didn't the doctor even tell me anything about it? It doesn't say on the dropper that they are an immunosupressant and steroid...

    I think I'll stop using them as I wear contact lenses and I don't want an infection any time soon...

  3. #63
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    I edited my first post, and why would you claim that I'm using them irresponsibly?
    The doctor told me I should use them..
    I think I'll stop using them as I wear contact lenses and I don't want an infection any time soon...
    Does this answer the question in the first line?

    Also ... you recommended those to other people without actually knowing what they are? Is that responsibility?



    If they're so dangerous why didn't the doctor even tell me anything about it?
    Maybe because HE knows how to use them and thought you'd heed his professional advice? Maybe because you didn't ask?


    Don't get me wrong ... I don't want to single you out and attack you ... but this stuff is far too important to ignore such blatant misinformation and bad advice.

    bernhard
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    I edited my first post because theres a chance people would stop there and go and get those drops. It was misinformation but I never said that its totally safe, I said it should be.

    I don't want to nitpick words, and I don't want to start arguments, I was writing what I thought at the time, and now after learning I edited. I want to help people by telling them what happened to me. I'm not trying to act as a replacement to a real doctor.

    As everyone here has already said, if this happens to you, please see an opthamologist ASAP, he'll know what to do.

  5. #65
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Don't worry, your good intentions have never been questioned at all.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  6. #66
    *Flashaholic* LuxLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    10,406

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    k00zk0, Kiessling is technically correct and accurate in what he has said, and he is trying to have this thread be accurate as well as everyone benefitting from the accidental mistakes you made, and were generous enough to share with us.

    Part of the difficulty if I remember back to when I was your age is we tended to "shoot from the hip" (even with good intentions), rather than realize that how we advise others for example, about topical corticosteroids, may have consequences.

    Your doctor certainly verified during your exam that you did not have an infection or he would not have prescribed them. I would have anticipated that he also told you not to wear your contacts while using these drops, and you may not have heard everything he said, given the fear most people would have had.

    Between using the steroid or your contacts, the steroid is far more important following a burn injury to your retina than contacts. Your decision to choose not to use the drops (or vitamins) is another unwise step. These things are not being said to make you feel defensive, but more to help you and others out.

    Good Luck!

  7. #67

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    I understand what Kiessling is doing and I edited my post already to get rid of false information. I told the doctor I was wearing contacts, he even acknowledged that fact that they were off for testing and got me lenses to hold infront of my eye so I could look at a grid and tell him how much of my vision I was missing. He didn't tell me not to wear my lenses, he just said it was an anti-inflammatory and it "may work its way back there and help". Yes, this was an opthamologist. I don't think it's my fault that I was informed incorrectly by him now...

    He also didn't tell me how often to use the drops, and after a bit of reading these steroids work 2.5 to 3 days after you apply them. It's recommended to use them once every three days. On the packaging it says they can be used every half hour or more depending on situation.

    Not all info is always correct and people should always check what they read and hear with a few more sources; that includes what k00zk0 writes on a forum...

    EDIT: As for "shooting from the hip", I'm smarter than that. I was not told of any danger whatsoever by the doctor, and the drops do not say they are a steroid, nor an immunosupressant. I wouldn't have wrote what I wrote if they had said that. I had two sources of information, neither of which said anything bad. That's why I "shot from the hip" as you say and wrote that they're okay. I don't give potentially unsafe info without checking first...

    I'm normally one to look up info on every substance in a drug but I guess "Anti-inflammatory" on the bottle was enough for me this time. It was a mistake and I acknowledge that I made it.
    Last edited by k00zk0; 07-04-2007 at 11:52 PM.

  8. #68
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Quote Originally Posted by siggis View Post
    There are some people which have problems looking at the dot of a 30mW green laser on the wall, it actually "hurts" their eyes.
    *raises hand* I even find it uncomfortable to look at the dot from a 5mW greenie on a white wall. I have one 5mW and one 21mW, they have only been turned on for a handful of minutes when they were new. Now they're just collecting dust, I just don't want to take the chance.

    I hope your vision recovers and that you've learned a lesson you will never forget.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Quote Originally Posted by k00zk0 View Post
    I was not told of any danger whatsoever by the doctor, and the drops do not say they are a steroid, nor an immunosupressant..
    Immunosupressants are drugs used to to stop the body from attacking transplants such as lungs. What the heck are you talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!! ALWAYS USE EYE PROTECTION WHEN USING ANYTHING OVER 5MW***

  10. #70

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Dexamethasone is an imunosupressant.

  11. #71
    Retired Administrator Norm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9,515

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    In the early days of transplants steroids were the main for of Immunosupressant.
    Norm

  12. #72
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Wow. It is 40X more potent then hhydrocortisone.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamethasone

  13. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Washington
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    Unfortunately you are dead wrong. Those are Steroid drops, and one of the strongest ones at that. I have no intention of educating you about the inherent dangers of steroid medication and locally applicated steroids in the eye as this would take the thread too far off topic.
    Cortisol is a steroid as well but it's used for a wide variety of treatments including for insect bites and such to relieve itching. However, Dexamethasone is many times stronger than cortisol.

    Dexamethasone is a potent synthetic member of the glucocorticoid class of steroid hormones. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant.

  14. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Washington
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Fong View Post
    The study was prompted by concerns that lasers now in the field might violate the Geneva Conventions outlawing weapons designed to blind an enemy.

    LOL - a bullet through the eye however, is completely allowed.




    I lived in an apartment complex many years ago and there was this odd 50+ year old man (tenant) that would stand in the parking area and stare at the sun on a daily basis. I spoke to the managers about him and they said there is nothing anyone can do, he's mentally ill. Somehow he made it outside on his own to do his daily ritual.
    Last edited by knot; 07-06-2007 at 12:25 AM.

  15. #75
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    I think we should steer this thread back on topic and leave the steroids for now Thanx. bernhard
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  16. #76
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Weird, I also heard a story about somebody who would stare at the sun. Being in the laser business, I was chatting with my optometrist about retinal burns and the like. She mentioned that she had a patient who came in with a large blind spot in his central vision. When she imaged his retinas she found huge burns in his macula. (The middle section of your vision... If this is plural would it be maculae?)

    She couldn't figure out how such a thing could even happen, until he told her that every day, for 20 minutes, he would stare directly at the sun to "exercise his eyes".

    ...What a thing do do. I wonder if he exercises his taste buds by rinsing his mouth with sulphuric acid.

  17. #77

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhosaki View Post
    ...What a thing do do. I wonder if he exercises his taste buds by rinsing his mouth with sulphuric acid.
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!! ALWAYS USE EYE PROTECTION WHEN USING ANYTHING OVER 5MW***

  18. #78
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    24

    Exclamation Re: Damaged eyes?

    I would strongly recommend that the cpf member who had the unfortunate accident with the dpss green laser see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible get a referral from your optometrist and see who is recommended,I would try to get in touch with a retinal specialist since they deal with a lot of macular diseases "macular Degeneration"etc,he or she will know what to monitor,question for you is..did your optometrist dilate your pupil in the effected eye before performing an observation in the retinascope"the device with the chin rest and the light that went left to right,"sclerotic scatter and direct illumination are techniques often used but much more accurate with dilation drops administered first since it opens the pupil to allow for less angle closure and a wider angle to view,I have worked as an optician for 2 optometrists for 24 years and have seen it all I would just like to pass this on to you,I am also an avid flashlight enthusiast collector with a few lasers the largest being an 80 mw envee which I handle like a loaded gun when showing it off in the basement beamed at the longests distance with nothing in the way..these things are great but are really dangerous too I wish you luck and feel free to post I will post a response,get a referral and get checked out,good luck.
    Maglite LED-Inova-Surefire LED-Streamlight 10c LED-Novatac

  19. #79

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    You guys need to be more careful. There's a reason for all the warning labels.

    That said after damage is done, you need to see a eye doctor ( opthamaolgist ) who needs to look at your retina via a slit lamp to check for damage. it will appear as slight discolorations for minimal exposure, right up to a large bloody area and a possible hemmorage for a serious laser exposure.

    You need to do this quickly because if steriods are not given with the first day or so, the body reacts and actually can attack the eye. Another worry is sympathetic opthamalia for serisous damage. Your body can attack your good eye too. Steriods need to be given to stop the bodies natural reaction and prevent scar tissue from forming. Blood clots are bad in the retina since they will cause further nerve damage.

    For damage that doesn't go away within an hour or so, expect it to last for at least a week, slowly gaining back some colors, and hopefully after a month nearly a full recovery. If you start getting colors back consider yourself lucky and hopefully you'll make a complete recovery.

  20. #80

    Default RE: Damaged Eyes?

    Hey guys,
    My sights doing really really well. I see perfectly fine. I just see a slight spot that is white when I blink my right eye really fast. This was of course done when I had my left eye shut so I knew my brain wasn't compensating. All and all I lucked out big time. Let this be a warning to all. DO NOT SCREW WITH THESE LASERS, or they will bite you back in the ass.
    -Stephen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!! ALWAYS USE EYE PROTECTION WHEN USING ANYTHING OVER 5MW***

  21. #81
    *Flashaholic* LuxLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    10,406

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Again, it was really great for you to share your experiences. The unfortunate thing is all those buying these lasers and not reading this or similar threads to fully realize the dangers. I think I read recently on Wicked's site that they now give goggles to everyone with lights. They were very expensive when I got mine over a year ago, and I'm sure many did not want the extra expense.

  22. #82

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Hey all,
    Im back to normal. Everythings fine, from what I can tell I made a full recovery, not sure what a doctor would say however. I know my brain is just compensating but I can't see that dot anymore unless I cover my left eye and focus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!! ALWAYS USE EYE PROTECTION WHEN USING ANYTHING OVER 5MW***

  23. #83

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmadpotato View Post
    Hey all,
    Im back to normal. Everythings fine,

    I can't see that dot anymore unless I cover my left eye and focus.
    Where does one start with this?

    A word of advice is all I can say...

    Do not look into beam with remaining eye.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

  24. #84

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Haha yep that would suck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!! ALWAYS USE EYE PROTECTION WHEN USING ANYTHING OVER 5MW***

  25. #85

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Here's my story...

    I bought a 10mw leadlight laser about a year ago i modified it changing the resistors, maxed out the pot, realized it was a little too bright so i knocked the pot back to half way, it visually now gives around 50 - 60mw and i'm very happy at the power....

    however even with it fluctuating slightly if left too long on or when it over heats it produces a dual beam (mode switching?) if used for short periods it's fine problem free but...

    Twice now i've hit a window / mirror and had the beam hit my eye full on, it was not a point blank but, but for 20 minutes or so all i could see was a green line of dots, blinking my eyes and seeing green blobs over everything... after about an hour or so, the dots went away BUT....

    Now i'm not sure if the laser did this or not, but the brightness or intensity level of objects at night or low light don't show in the center, best way to describe this is in a dark room with a little light, you see objects, imagine a white towel, if i look straight at the towel i barely see it, but if i look slightly to the side of it in any direction, i see the white towel...

    I'm short sighted have been since the age of about 12, too much using the computer, but this recent problem due to the laser ? anyone else have a similar issue? My brother-in-law sees "black dots" everywhere he looks in bright light due to doing some welding and i assume that's similar to what these people on here talk about, but can the intensity damage the way light is processed?

  26. #86
    Flashaholic* TorchBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,494

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Quote Originally Posted by tobjectpascal View Post
    Now i'm not sure if the laser did this or not, but the brightness or intensity level of objects at night or low light don't show in the center, best way to describe this is in a dark room with a little light, you see objects, imagine a white towel, if i look straight at the towel i barely see it, but if i look slightly to the side of it in any direction, i see the white towel...
    My 93 year old grandmother has that problem (she says since her cataract operation/s), especially with stars.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

  27. #87
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Everyone has that "problem" as it is physiological (normal).
    In simple terms ... the center of vision of the retina is better equipped to see colorful and sharp but isn't as effective when there's almost not enough light ... which means there is a threshhold where you just don't see an object when looking at it directly while you can see it when focussing on a spot just next to it.

    You can test this with stars ... try focussing on dim stars and they will disappear ... and reappear when you look away.

    bernhard
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  28. #88

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    Everyone has that "problem" as it is physiological (normal).
    In simple terms ... the center of vision of the retina is better equipped to see colorful and sharp but isn't as effective when there's almost not enough light ... which means there is a threshhold where you just don't see an object when looking at it directly while you can see it when focussing on a spot just next to it.

    You can test this with stars ... try focussing on dim stars and they will disappear ... and reappear when you look away.

    bernhard

    That's good to know thank you, my laser never did it, at least that's one less thing to worry about

  29. #89
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    This phenomenon doesn't mean that you haven't laser-induced eye damage in addition to it, of course. I was merely explaining the physiology of the human eye.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  30. #90

    Default Re: Damaged eyes?

    i asked an optometrist about this and he said if it doesnt improve within a year you are out of luck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •