UK Mini Pocket Light eLed @ Brightguy!

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if everyone knew or not but it looks like you can by a LED-version(white LED,not red) of the Underwater Kinetics mini pocket light now. ON introductory special for under $10!

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
You know, the head looks like it'll fit on the Pelican mini 2AAA light....
Not a bad price...

[/ QUOTE ]

my plan is to get the clear blue one for my wife and to also buy a xenon lamp assembly. i will then simply take the led assembly off of hers and put on the xenon and i will use the led assembly to switch back and forth with my original UK pocket light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
OK sorry I'm new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How does the ARC AAA compare to the UK 2AAA LED in light output? Anyone know of any beam shot picture comparisons?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like we gotta wait till someone gets their grubby hands on the UK LED light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
I am curious as well. On just 2 AAA cells, that's not enough to brightly light a Nachia. It's got to be either one of those newer type White leds that I have only read about but have never actually seen, OR, they are using a regulator. My bet is with option A, it's some sorta "newfangled led" that can illuminate on 3.x Volts. My only concern is, as alkaline voltage drops, how does the brightness/discharge curve look. Probably like any other direct drive 3 cell LED flashlight.

Ed, with many points to ponder over this offering. I just might have to break down and purchase one, but only after hearing favorable comments about it. I like UK's water tightness on their lights.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one, and will post my opinion as soon as it comes in.

llvo

Enlightened
sounds great! I love my KIA orange UKE mini2AAA

please compare it with other single LED light when you received it

Thanks
Billy

Alledges

Newly Enlightened
Interesting little light. Small, light, tough, and waterproof to 500'. Slightly lower overall output than Arc AAA or Infinity Ultra. Small optics and no reflector focus beam much wider than PT Impact. Somewhat uneven and slightly discolored spot with LED wires clearly visible. Very useable light at short range in full darkness though exceptionally limited spill light. Clear plastic bezel side light is very bright and distracting. Found myself cupping the light to maintain low light vision. Clip very useful for hat brim, marker light use, as long as the bezel isn't in field of view. Loading two AAA's through a single AAA opening requires a little percussive enthusiasm, but can be accomplished in the dark with a little practice. Sealed bezel doesn't allow Xenon lamp, but should be swappable with standard UK 2AAA Mini bezel for ultralight LED and Xenon option combo. Can't beat the price for LED with common batteries.

Brock

Flashaholic
Can you tell if there is any step up in there? I can't imagine it would be that bright on 2 cells without one? I should really just buy one, the UKE 2 AAA was my EDC for years before LED's were around in mass.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Alledges said:
Slightly lower overall output than Arc AAA or Infinity Ultra.

[/ QUOTE ]

This puzzles me as a newbie....How can the ARC AAA with one AAA cell put out more light then the UK 2AAA with two AAA cells? Can anyone explain this to me?

Empath

Flashaholic
The Arc AAA uses a step-up converter to change the voltage from the 1.5 volt cell to 3.6 volts (or whatever the driving voltage is). While the UK might or might not (I don't know) use step-up conversion, it apparently doesn't step it up as high. If it's running straight off of 3 volts it wouldn't be very bright at all.

Alledges

Newly Enlightened
The UK eLed also has step-up circuitry. It's visibile through the bezel along with what appears to be a standard Nichia 5mm. Output is identical with Akaline and NiMH. It's not as bright as Arc or Infinity as eyeballed in candle mode home integrating sphere (dark bathroom), but provides a relatively smooth beam without hotspot or corona, but with LED wire artifacts. The brightly glowing translucent bezel works great in candle mode or as a tent light, but is distracting when trying to illuminate distance. The size and clip are great though. Add a keeper lanyard and clip to belt for effortless EDC and hands free option in close-up and full dark situations. Keep an LS light handy for anything requiring more output.

llvo

Enlightened
Great light!
I bought two and I will say that it has a focused beam with brighter 'hotspot' but slightly less output than my ArcAAA

It should be considered as a <font color="red"> best buy </font> :
- small and nice construction,
- inexpensive,
- 20 hours runtime,
- waterproof to 500ft,
- reasonably bright,
- and use cheap AAA batteries

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, I have the 2AAA side by side and the 2AAA end to end versions and you can swap the head between them. Does anyone know if I could put this head on the 2AAA end to end one? In other words are all the electronics right in the head part? I will have to get one, I just wan to wait to get something else with is so shipping isn't such a bear.

llvo

Enlightened
The circuit is with the LED inside the bezel
there is nothing to fall out when you change the batteries.

I guess the head can be used on the 'end to end' 2AAA
...it's just the battery compartment

If I'm wrong??, sorry about that

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Just got one and compared it to ARC AAA and Infinity Ultra. The UK output is much more focused than ARC and Infinity with virtually no side spill. However, the best part is the clip, which enables hands-free operation (I clip the UK to my belt). I gather it also has better throw, though throw may not mean much for a relatively dim light.