$200 3x XR-E Light

x2x3x2

Banned
Anyone gona try this lil toy?

http://www.goldengadgets.com/product_info.php?products_id=356&osCsid=537tg0ljn4ps6lsj23c8vln1v4
F-XR03_01.jpg

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather pay more to get a Milky 3-emitter mod one of the 3 or 4 emitter cutdown magmods or Elektrolumens or something. 3 x 18650 looks awfully long. Nice find though, bro! Never seen that light before :)

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather pay more to get a Milky 3-emitter mod one of the 3 or 4 emitter cutdown magmods or Elektrolumens or something. 3 x 18650 looks awfully long. Nice find though, bro! Never seen that light before :)

3 18650s is just plain silly... I'd gladly give up a bit of the 4 hour runtime to avoid carrying a long stick like this..

Something M4 sized should be nice:D

europium

Enlightened
Yeah, that looks cool.

Others might dislike the length, but as this is an outdoor light, I wouldn't mind. The thickness should be just right to grasp well without being uncomfortable, and you would think that the weight of the tail would provide a good balance point vis-a-vis the head.

Assuming the output does indeed approach 500 lumens, the runtime could not possibly be 4 hours (at full brightness).

Eu

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming the output does indeed approach 500 lumens, the runtime could not possibly be 4 hours (at full brightness).

Eu

Based on emitter specs + batt specs (+ a little salt and pepper), they aren't TOO far off with their claims.

They probably driving the LEDs at 600ma (which could be 130-160ea lumens since these new emitters claim 210lumens@1A) and since there are 3 batts to 'support' each of the emitters, each emitter gets about 2400mah of juice from the 18650s, which translates to about 4hrs of runtime :D

I'm sure real world results might differ, but at least they didn't over-exaggerate.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the driver is buck driver ....so it should be efficient in the sense that because there is so much voltage there, the amount of current used will be lower?

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
we could buy two of them and have a sword fight!! :touche:

:lolsign:

It may even be too long for my liking. But the 4 hours RT would be nice :)

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It actually says: "1000mA" and "constant output". 4 hour runtime doesn't sound realistic. I'd estimate 2 1/2 hours maximum at that drive current. Maybe it goes into moon mode towards the end and this is added into the runtime. Either that or constant output is not so constant.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a prototype in hand - which is what I believe Golden Gadgets is selling is a prototype.

The output is very impressive and 500L is definitely believable. I haven't done a runtime test yet but 2.5-4 hours is definitely what I'd estimate just on the math - circuit efficiency will determine where exactly it falls in there.

I haven't ordered them yet as we're asking for some improvements. The overall quality is good but the switch is flaky. Also the circuit doesn't have a wide voltage tolerance so running on CR123A's is a manor no-no. We're asking for either a circuit redeisgn to allow of 18V input or a second battery tube for 4 X CR123A's (runtime at max would be like 20-25 minutes - still way better than an M6's 12-15 on 6 batteries though). It is undeniably a major light cannon; the individual reflectors are deep so it has great throw. The beam quality on a wall at 1-3M is MEH but who really cares as this isn't a light meant to be used in that range.

The light also features strobing (wrong rate for tactical strobe, also on our wish list to the MFG). The stobe can be used on either the high or low output modes. I've already shown the light to a few CPF'ers who have stopped in, perhaps if they read this they can chime in...

Oh and regarding the size it's ~1" shorter than a 3D mag (and about 7 times brighter with 4 x the runtime).

europium

Enlightened
In this image, it shows what appears to be numerous holes in the battery tube housing:

http://www.goldengadgets.com/images/F-XR03_04.jpg

Can you say what is the purpose of the holes? :thinking:

I would think that the removal of that small of an amount of aluminum would not lower the weight much at all, and surely heat dissipation isn't the reason. It just looks like it would collect a lot of dirt and grease, and quite possibly make the light somewhat less comfortable to carry with a bare hand for a long period of time. :confused:

Eu

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's entirely decorative. As a matter of fact if you see those very small holes around the mid points on the handle those are where allen screws hold that whole decorative mid body section on - basically that section with the holes is a tube over the battery tube - make sense?

I have't tried taking it off - I honestly assumed they put it on there to balance the weight of the head.

shooter08

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like a great light as far as output. But I'll never buy one unless it also came
with a momentary switch like Lumapower lights. Maybe since you said the switch is
flaky you can get them to do a momentary? If so I would then be very interested in
acquiring said light.

Dave S.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to conveince LumaPower to build a 3 Cree light like this anyway so we'll see where that goes too. It is pretty monstrously bright. :)

It sounds like a great light as far as output. But I'll never buy one unless it also came
with a momentary switch like Lumapower lights. Maybe since you said the switch is
flaky you can get them to do a momentary? If so I would then be very interested in
acquiring said light.

Dave S.