How does ORB Raw CRE compare to Fenix P1D CE?

LLLean

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm deciding between these 2 lights.

a) ORB RAW CR-E
b) Fenix P1D CE

Both have the same type of CREE LED. The ORB's bezel is very slightly smaller and uses a CR2-type recharageable vs CR123A for PID CE. Does anyone have any experience with both these 2 lights? Is there significant difference in the total output and throw (both at max levels) of these 2 lights?

Much thanks.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
That's a tough one. These lights are different enough that it's not a good comparison. The Orb's are tiny little lights that are almost like jewelry! That's not to say that they aren't very bright on high and have a decent runtime on low. I have the NS and the Raw both with Cree led's and I love them both. They are both way more expensive that the P1D-CE. It would probably make more sense to buy the Fenix. I really like my P1D-CE and it is more versatile than the Orb's. If you already have a couple Fenix lights then maybe the Orb Raw would be the best choice. If not, go with the Fenix! :wave:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to compare the Orb with the Fenix L0D-CE instead of the L1D-CE. It is more similar in size (same diameter but longer). The L0D-CE is not as bright as the orb on NiMH but should be similar with 10440.

LLLean

Enlightened
thank you so much for your responses.

from the specs/dimensions of the two lites, i have a good idea of their sizes. i'm sort of more interested to know about the total light output and UI of these 2 lights based on actual usage. from the specs, the ORB Raw is about 120lumens; PID CE is 135lumens. but as we know, specs are not always to be trusted. :) is the total light output and throw from the OBR Raw significantly less than the PID CE or only slightly (based on real usage)?

much thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
thank you so much for your responses.

from the dimensions of the two lites, i have a good idea of their sizes. price is not a big issue as long as i dont purchase the silver/titamium orb. :) i'm sort of more interested to know about the total light output and UI of these 2 lights based on actual usage. from the specs, the ORB Raw is about 120lumens; PID CE is 135lumens. but as we know, specs are not always to be trusted. :) is the total light output and throw from the OBR Raw significantly less than then PID CE or only slightly (based on real usage)?

much thanks in advance.

It's slightly less. If you use your light on high very much then you should definately order an extra battery if you choose the Raw. 2 stages on the Raw and four on the Fenix.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and they each have their charms.

The ORBRAW is what I have on a neck lanyard every day - insignificantly small and works 100% when I need it. But be aware, less runtime on high and it is not water resistant. No O rings at all in fact. This is not usually a problem for me as it is only a rummage-around-behind/under-things-light and also a make-people-go-'wow'-light! I certainly wouldn't use it in a rainstorm. and a finger full of silicon helps to waterproof the threads if applied regularly.

The Fenix is more robust with O rings and much more obviously a production line tool of a torch. The ORBRAW is a custom - smaller scale type of light and it's way cooler because of it.

Enjoy the products of the little guy not the worldwide corporation??? You and your preference decide. I have cast my vote for ORB. Because if it wasn't for small companies we wouldn't have any choices at all. Besides, they make a lovely light or two...:twothumbs

Be lucky...

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this was a choice I had to make, I would go with the Orb Raw NS Cree. I had the Fenix P1D-CE and sold it.

I just the Orb last week, and it's amazing. A very useful low mode that's much like the medium mode of the P1D-CE with great runtime. The high mode blows away the P1D-CE, but the runtime is nowhere near as good.

I prefer the two levels of the Orb, and also I prefer the UI. Turn it until it turns on for low, turn further for high. No twisty-back-and-forth-hope-you-get-the-right-mode game.

Want free lumens? Get the Orb. It comes with a charger and a rechargeable battery, and you can order extra with the light, or buy them from AW direct, or buy them from lighthound.

I have and like Fenix lights. But the Orb is the way to go if you have the $ to spend.

Here is a comparison picture. I have many more pictures of the Orb HERE.

IMG_0878.jpg

BTW, It does have O-rings as you can see in the following pictures:

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

Last edited:

LLLean

Enlightened
wow, thanks for the pix! really helps!

I notice from their website that the ORB Raw NS is smaller than the ORB Raw (45/18mm vs 53/20mm, i think). But that's with the K2 LED. I wonder if the Cree version of the ORB Raw NS is still 45mm, or the same size as the ORB Raw. I really like the look of the OBB Raw (and the silver one, but i'll have to sell my body to be able to afford that one!) but i always like smaller size flashlite.

EngrPaul, i've heard from a couple others in CPF that the ROB Raw is slightly less light than the PID-CE. You're saying the reverse. Now, i'm really confused. :) Are you saying the HIGH level on the ORB Raw NS outshines the HIGH level on the PID-CE?

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul, i've heard from a couple others in CPF that the ROB Raw is slightly less light than the PID-CE. You're saying the reverse. Now, i'm really confused. :) Are you saying the HIGH level on the ORB Raw NS outshines the HIGH level on the PID-CE?

I can't compare it to the P1D-CE, however I just compared it to the P2D on turbo. Same overal lumens (ceiling bounce test), but the Raw is a wider spot (less throw, stronger spill).

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2 week old ORB RAW that I`m contemplating to sell to get a NOVATEC 120p. Nothing wrong with the light, Infact it`s a GREAT light!

My purpose is to have a small and yet tactical light in hand anytime. I guess
twisting the head for off and on doesn`t really help for my intended use.

http://www.lummi.co.uk/orbraw.php

Orb Raw Aluminum KIT (check the link above what comes with it) Nano charger etc.....
120 Lumen High / 15 Lumen Low
Pretty new , I kept it inside the protective case - no scratches.

extras: 1 ICE BLUE Tritium
1 Extra Protective case
2 extra Black PRCRN 3.7 VOLTS protected Li-ion battery

All I paid $125

I`m thinking of selling it for $100 (midwest USA only)

I`m in WISCONSIN SE

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ORBs are available with tritium locators, which is a big practical advantage. You can always find them in the dark.

I had P1D-CE, original Orb Raw, original Raw Ns and Raw Ns XRE. I gave the P1D away as a gift; it was a good light but didn't distinguish itself enough to keep it.

I've had MANY lights, but the ones I use most frequently are HDS U60, Arc AAA-P, and Orb Raw Ns XRE. The Orb is very small, very powerful, simple to operate, and has a quality feel. The tritium locators make it the ideal bedside light.

On the negative side, the Orb Ns XRE has a short run time on max output. However the "low" output lasts a long time, and is sufficient for most use.

joshvon

Newly Enlightened
i've had a ti orb raw ns on my keychain for a about 4 months. not a noticeable scratch on it, quite amazing. as far as brightness, if the p1d-ce is aprox 120 lumens i'd say the ns is about 150 lumens. it's significantly brighter, maybe that's just due to the led lotto though. the p1d-ce will however out throw it easily due to the ns having an op reflector and smooth beam.

i took it camping with me a few months back, accidentally dropped it in the lake once, in about 2ft of water, which is how i found out it's completely water proof.

fluke

Enlightened
If this was a choice I had to make, I would go with the Orb Raw NS Cree. I had the Fenix P1D-CE and sold it.

I just the Orb last week, and it's amazing. A very useful low mode that's much like the medium mode of the P1D-CE with great runtime. The high mode blows away the P1D-CE, but the runtime is nowhere near as good.

I prefer the two levels of the Orb, and also I prefer the UI. Turn it until it turns on for low, turn further for high. No twisty-back-and-forth-hope-you-get-the-right-mode game.

Want free lumens? Get the Orb. It comes with a charger and a rechargeable battery, and you can order extra with the light, or buy them from AW direct, or buy them from lighthound.

I have and like Fenix lights. But the Orb is the way to go if you have the $ to spend.

Here is a comparison picture. I have many more pictures of the Orb HERE.

IMG_0878.jpg

BTW, It does have O-rings as you can see in the following pictures:

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but, What is the Ultrafire flashlight on the right of the P2DCE please ???

Last edited:

Ice

Enlightened
The Orbs seem to be really nice lights, but I just don't like the head being larger than the rest of the light. Am I the only one to whom that looks strange?
Or is it in real life less evident than in pictures?