Thinking of getting a Maglite 6D...

KingGlamis

Banned
I'm thinking of getting a Maglite 6D. But I would love to also get an LED upgrade. The first one I found was the TerraLUX TLE-6EX EXTREME. In the online ad I saw it said the LED was 140 lumens vs 119 lumens for the standard bulb. Can anyone confirm or deny this claim? Also, is there a better LED upgrade? My wish is maximum throw. What is the best setup for maximum throw with a 6D Maglite?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
6d kinda big eh... i use the 6ex in 4d now its very nice but its at its brightest in 4d not 6 ...to make it a super thrower you need a 3" head like a fm3h

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
better off getting a malkoff in 4d that will push 1.1amps regulated meaning 200+lumens :) and serious throw ...worth the money

RCatR

Enlightened
Absolute maximum throw is going to be with a cree XR-E led while using an aspheric lens; and use a sob1000 from theledguy.com to regulate the current. member Newbie has a thread in the LED section all about this(I think it's titled "how to make an LED throw")[around $65]

For incadescent, grab a smooth m2 reflector (solid aluminum) from theledguy.com; a borofloat lens and pelican big D bulb set from lighthound.com; and some rechargeable NIMH D cells [This would be a long running ROP-Roar of Pelican; see the incadescent section for about a million threads on it and the many configurations] [around $65-$75 depending on the batteries]

For a middle ground I'd get an anodised(for insulation) DHS from the modified buy/sell/trade section; and seoul P4 & a sob1000 from theledguy.com [around $55]

PM me if you want any details for any of the above build; I love the 6D because to non flashaholics they says 'wow thats huge' and then you have a bright setup running in it to really dazzle them:devil:

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolute maximum throw is going to be with a cree XR-E led while using an aspheric lens; and use a sob1000 from theledguy.com to regulate the current. member Newbie has a thread in the LED section all about this(I think it's titled "how to make an LED throw")[around $65]

I can't find this thread. I'm building my own aspherical mod with a 3D (and a BBNexgen 1A)

I think aspherical is the way to go for throw with an LED.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Why would you want such a large LED light? except for runtime building your own Mag 2C with a couple of C Li-ions, heat sink, driver and appropriate tailcap you will have a light with more throw than any of the LED replacements that you mentioned and it will fit in your back pocket. I can't see any advantage to going 6D.
Norm

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Maybe it's like those folks that think they have to put a 6" lift kit and monster mudder tires on a Ford F-150. Makes the truck pretty much useless, but to the driver 'its cool'.

RCatR

Enlightened
The 6D will give you insane runtimes and look cool.

BlackDecker:Hey watch it! I don't have a lift kit but my giant mud tires(on a tiny ranger) have gotten me out of more than one tricky situation:D

KingGlamis

Banned
I ended up getting the 4D. The 6D is HUGE, which I knew, but I think the 4D will be fine.

I also bought the Mag LED module and the Nite Ize LED module. The Nite Ize module pretty much sucks. The Mag module was much brighter in all focus ranges and had a much better throw.

Now I need to research the upgrades listed above (thanks all!) and see if I can make this 4D brighter yet.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can seen wanting a 6D just because it's so big.
But it would seem kind of silly to have such a big light and have it
be dimmer than your pocket EDC. Which it will be, if it is stock.

I am using Terralux TLE-6EX drop-ins in my 4-6 cell Mags.
I'll probably go for more serious upgrades eventually.

The Malkoff sounds good, but it's always sold-out.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
can those aspherical lens drop right in to a mag with a reflector or does the reflector need to be removed ....and can this be used with sscp4 or just cree xre....thinking of puting one on for my 6ex :)

Cydonia

Enlightened
Before you get a 6D check out the C size Maglites. A 4C with that TerraLux 6EX module will be just as bright as in the 6D, but under 1/2 the weight and much more compact. The C size is easier to grip than the D, way better in fact, and the proportions of the flashlight look better on the shelf.

IMHO another extra bonus feature of C size Mag's is the fact they can take AA cells with a simple spacer tube (cardboard or proper aa to C size adaptors) to stop the batteries rattling. Kinda like the biggest meanest AA flashlight around :laughing:

Try a 3C + lithium AA @ 1.7v = 5.1 and use a 4 cell MagLED (Upgraded MagLED of course) or the TerraLux 6EX for lightweight and BIG throw...

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
can those aspherical lens drop right in to a mag with a reflector or does the reflector need to be removed ....and can this be used with sscp4 or just cree xre....thinking of puting one on for my 6ex :)

The reflector comes right out. You don't need it. Crees are better for this purpose because they put out more light in a narrower angle than the Seoul.

KingGlamis

Banned
Can someone point me to a website that sells Crees for the D-Mags? And does anyone sell a replacement head that has a built in heat-sink? Links to larger heads/reflectors would also be appreciated. I tried the links listed above and didn't see these items. Thanks!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone point me to a website that sells Crees for the D-Mags? And does anyone sell a replacement head that has a built in heat-sink? Links to larger heads/reflectors would also be appreciated. I tried the links listed above and didn't see these items. Thanks!

I'm building that stuff for myself. For heatsinking, I'm just connecting the star to the body with some copper or aluminum.

KingGlamis

Banned
I'm building that stuff for myself. For heatsinking, I'm just connecting the star to the body with some copper or aluminum.

OK, but what about looks? Are there products to make the Maglite look more like a Tactical light?