Fenix P2D / L1D questions

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a few P2D Q2's, an L1D Q2 and an LOD Q2. Then I started wondering if the P2D and the L1D use the same head (and maybe tailcap) and I should have just ordered an L1D battery tube instead, and saved some money.

Do the P2D and the L1D use the same head?

Do the P2D and the L1D use the same tailcap?

Thanks

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do use the same head, but I do not believe they use the same tailcap. The diameter on the tailcap end of the L1D is smaller than on the P2D. I plan on doing the same thing. I have an L1D, and with the P2D body and tailcap and L2D body, I will have 3 lights. :twothumbs

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the P3D also use the same head and tailcap?

Yes it uses the same tailcap as the P2D, but not he same head as the L1D abd P2d. The P3D head is rated at 6 volts and can use up to 8 volts. The L1D and P2D are rated at 3 volts and can use up to 4 volts.

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like bondr006 mentioned, the L1D/L2D/P2D do use the same head, but the tailcaps are different. Although the P2D tailcap is slightly larger in diameter, it will work on the L1D/L2D bodies. It has the same threads, but since it's just slightly bigger, the tailcap glides over the body's o-ring without touching it at all. It will tighten down and function normally. You can barely notice that it's a larger diameter, but it does stick out .5 mm or so. You'd have to install a thicker o-ring for it to seal properly. I'm somewhat picky, so I bought the L1D body and corresponding tailcap, to have a perfectly flush fit (diameter-wise).

The L1D/L2D tailcap will not fit onto the P2D tube.

wintermute

Enlightened
Like bondr006 mentioned, the L1D/L2D/P2D do use the same head, but the tailcaps are different. Although the P2D tailcap is slightly larger in diameter, it will work on the L1D/L2D bodies. It has the same threads, but since it's just slightly bigger, the tailcap glides over the body's o-ring without touching it at all. It will tighten down and function normally. You can barely notice that it's a larger diameter, but it does stick out .5 mm or so. You'd have to install a thicker o-ring for it to seal properly. I'm somewhat picky, so I bought the L1D body and corresponding tailcap, to have a perfectly flush fit (diameter-wise).

The L1D/L2D tailcap will not fit onto the P2D tube.

So what you're saying is we should buy a L1D, a L2D body, and a P2D body with tailcap. To cover all of the bases. Since I would need to buy the tailcap/body for the P2D, I think I might just spend the extra 30 bucks or so and pickup a P3D. :)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what you're saying is we should buy a L1D, a L2D body, and a P2D body with tailcap. To cover all of the bases. Since I would need to buy the tailcap/body for the P2D, I think I might just spend the extra 30 bucks or so and pickup a P3D. :)

Yes. The L1D with the L2D body, and the P2D body and tailcap gives you 3 lights. These are all 3 volt light heads that run on 2 AA 1.5 volt or 1 cr123a 3 volt cell. The P3D is a 6 volt light head that runs on 2 cr123a 3 volt cells and is not compatible with the L1D, L2D, P2D system.

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a couple of scenarios. Prices are from LightHound, except for the P2D body and tailcap which are from the Fenix-Store. Lighthound doesn't list that item.

L1D $52.50
L2D body $12.99
P2D body & tailcap from Fenix-Store.com $23.50
$88.99 total.

P2D $52.00
L2D body $12.99
L1D body $12.00
L1D/L2D tailcap $6.99
$83.98 total
With this scenario, you won't get a holster (L1D and L2D complete lights come with a holster) Edit: Scratch that...the P2D does come with a holster...my bad.

I went with the second scenario, because I didn't need a holster for the L1D/L2D. If you wanted to be really cheap, and don't care about the tailcap being just slightly larger in diameter, you can forego ordering the tailcap ($6.99) and use the P2D's tailcap on the other bodies. If you do that, it won't be waterproof unless you install a thicker o-ring.

Yeah, if you don't care about having a P2D setup, you can spend the extra money and get the P3D...but remember that the P3D head is different, only the L1D/L2D/P2D heads are identical. <~~~ Edit: Oops, I see that bondr006 already said that.

Or just get 'em ALL! :lolsign:

I'm thinking about getting another head, because I may end up wearing out the threads by swapping it around the different lights all the time.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be really honest with you, I have been giving this some hard thought, and have come to the realization that I really can't justify the L2D body when the P2D body will do the same thing. I have the L1D already and don't want a longer light, and the P2D fits the bill for what I need. I can use my L1D head on the P2D body and still get the advantage of 3 volts using only one battery in a much more compact body. Let me ask you all....What would be the benefit of the L2D body over the P2D body?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
huge runtime , on turbo the p2d gets 55 minutes while L2d gets almost 2 1/2 hours and a tiny bit brighter on the high settin p2d gets 3 hours while L2d gets 6 1/2 hours

but if the light is for edc then a p2d is fine but if you need a general purpose light to take on vacation or around the house the L2d is very good to have

oh and 86hours on low for L2d :)

always good to have options with a single light :) its like a transformer to suit your needs not to mention its what like $12 at lighthound

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
huge runtime , on turbo the p2d gets 55 minutes while L2d gets almost 2 1/2 hours and a tiny bit brighter on the high settin p2d gets 3 hours while L2d gets 6 1/2 hours

oh and 86hours on low for L2d :)

Oh yeah. There is that, that, and that. Great points. Think I will stick with my original plan of P2D body and tailcap, and L2D body and tailcap. Thanks for the friendly smack
doh.gif
in the forehead.

wintermute

Enlightened
Oh yeah. There is that, that, and that. Great points. Think I will stick with my original plan of P2D body and tailcap, and L2D body and tailcap. Thanks for the friendly smack
doh.gif
in the forehead.

OK, remember this though. NiMH AA's are cheap, great runtime, etc. The P2Ds cannot use regular RCR123s on anything but turbo mode (the voltage of the normal rechargeable RCR123s takes the light out of regulation modes. You'll have to get the Tenergy RCR123 3.0V for use in the P2D to use the low, med, high modes! Then, who knows what the runtime is with the Tenergy 3.0v. If all you're ever going to use is primary R123s then the point is moot.

I'm going to use the L1D body for regular carry. L2D body around the house when I need more light. And buy a P3D when I really need to shine out the world. I'm only getting 2 heads (i.e. 1 for the LxD and 1 for the P3D) - because I only have 2 x Cree Q4 LEDs to install for ultimate light.

As much as I like the size (although the L1D isn't much bigger) and features of the P2D, the fact that they can only use the Tenergy 3.0v RCR123 would mean I would have to have two types of RCR123s, which would be a pain. The P3D on the other hand can use regular RCR123s, and would have EXCELLENT runtimes, along with 160 lumens stock (possibly 190!! or so with the Q4 XR-E LEDs).

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I did it. I placed an order with David at the Fenix Store this morning. I got the L2D CE body and tailcap, and the P2D CE body and tailcap. David threw in 2 lanyards, an L2D holster, and a mineral glass lens for my 4D MagLED.
rockon.gif
I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy their Fenix lights from anyone else.

Last edited:

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Q2 lights came in today and I'm totally amazed at the amount of light that comes out of that tiny LOD-CE with the Q2 in it. I knew what to expect with the P2D's, and the L1D is a little brighter than I expected, but I never expected the LOD to be anything near as bright as it is.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Q2 lights came in today and I'm totally amazed at the amount of light that comes out of that tiny LOD-CE with the Q2 in it. I knew what to expect with the P2D's, and the L1D is a little brighter than I expected, but I never expected the LOD to be anything near as bright as it is.

Yeah, the LOD-CE is an impressive light. It's one of my all-time favorite lights. Have you tried a 10440 Li-Ion in it? With that battery, the high mode is purely stunning for such a small light. :drool: