Easy way to get rid of those nasty rings without sanding!

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
I have had my Surfire A2 for a few years and the nasty LED rings have always bugged me. I have read that sanding will remove the rings but it also can damage the LED. So I have been looking for a way to remove the rings without sanding.

While I was shooting in the studio the other day I realized one of the secret tools in my photo bag I use to remove glare would do the trick. "Dulling Spray", It is a spray that almost looks a bit frosty, and can be removed later if you want the rings back :p

The dulling spray can be used for everything you would sand, like the river rock lantern... Just spray the inside or the LED and instead of sanding for 20 minutes you spray for 20 second.

Before the magic spray:
4qelr9d.jpg

After magic spray:
4utn66d.jpg

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
what is this dulling spray? Im not familiar with photo accessories...what is it suppose to be used for?

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
what is this dulling spray? Im not familiar with photo accessories...what is it suppose to be used for?

It is basically a spray paint thats near clear but a bit frosty. It wipes right off. You should be able to find it at any arts and craft store, and probably most hardware stores too. It is used to remove glare from objects. Lets say you are shooting a model wearing sunglasses but you don't want to see the lights in the sunglasses you would spray the lenses.

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_...elid=8&productid=1822&content=product_details

g2328.jpg

Last edited:

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Just did some more testing with it in the dark bathroom :p. This light is so much more useful now and much more enjoyable to use. The rings and artifacts were so distracting before, reading maps with it was almost a headache. It has such a soft flood of red now I love it. The small amount of light you lose from the "dulling" is so worth the pure flood of red you get.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used a lot in UK, to reduce glare and reflection of shiny objects & mirrors on TV production sets.

Oil based, beware.

Mike V

Enlightened
Most spray deodorants work practically identical to dulling spray.

Although dulling spray has no smell.

You normally have to cover the can with paper though to hide the label, otherwise you can get some pretty strange looks.