Batch scanning pictures: autofeeders?

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Anybody know of a machine that autofeeds pictures for batch scanning?

I have something between 1000-2000 pictures I need to scan, and I really want something that will autofeed a pile of 50 or so at a time.

Something that costs under 1k would be nice, might go up to 2k.

I already have an epson 4990 scanner, but the autofeeder available for that says specifically not for use with photos.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want good quality scans, scan the negatives rather than the prints if you can.

It's always seemed to me that prints won't autofeed well (they stick together etc) though some people have reported reasonable results with HP autofeeders.

With the Epson you might be able to lay down 4 prints on the flatbed glass and scan in one operation.

You could also use a more traditional copy stand setup instead of a scanner, and get through the pile of prints fairly quickly that way.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
If you want good quality scans, scan the negatives rather than the prints if you can.

It's always seemed to me that prints won't autofeed well (they stick together etc) though some people have reported reasonable results with HP autofeeders.

With the Epson you might be able to lay down 4 prints on the flatbed glass and scan in one operation.

You could also use a more traditional copy stand setup instead of a scanner, and get through the pile of prints fairly quickly that way.

For a lot of the pictures I just don't have access to the negatives.

I want decent quality scans... I don't expect or want perfection. I'm willing to sacrafice quality a bit, to gain speed.

Ideally, I want something like a picture version of the Nikon 5000 ED + slide autofeeder. Set in 50 pics, press go, and walk away for 2 or 3 hours.

I just saw this, which might work: http://computers.pricegrabber.com/scanner-accessories/m/6693145/

If by copy stand you mean a camera, stand and lights that seems a bit too labor intensive. I want to avoid having to process each indiviual picture, thus the batch scanning.

I could do the 4 prints at once on a flat bed, but then I'd be adding to post production work (cutting / pasting). And ideally I want to do batched of at least 20-25 to 50+ rather than batchs of 4. If I can't figure out a good solution I'll reserve scanning 4 at once as a last resort.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know of a machine that autofeeds pictures for batch scanning?

I have something between 1000-2000 pictures I need to scan, and I really want something that will autofeed a pile of 50 or so at a time.

Something that costs under 1k would be nice, might go up to 2k.

I already have an epson 4990 scanner, but the autofeeder available for that says specifically not for use with photos.

I would guess that you could send it off and have it done professionally for well under the $1.00 a picture you are willing to pay. (E.G. 800 photos for $139 )

Google "photo scan" for a ton of hits.
is one such site I post the url just for the picture they feature. Not your usual hot blonde.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
I would guess that you could send it off and have it done professionally for well under the $1.00 a picture you are willing to pay. (E.G. 800 photos for $139 )

Google "photo scan" for a ton of hits.
is one such site I post the url just for the picture they feature. Not your usual hot blonde.

Yes I found several companies that offer such a service, some for as low as around $.16 per pic.

On one level, I'd love to just write a check for a couple hundred and be done with it.. but... these are one of a kind photos (irreplaceable) and I don't want to risk mailing them off (I'd have to trust the mail carrier both directions, and the company doing the work). So that means I need to DIY.

I also save everything to 2 formats, jpeg and tiff. This ensures I have a lossless format, and also a back up in a different format incase something gets corrupted. I also save to 3 seperate HDs.

It's a pita, but it's my comfort level. So anything that can speed up the process i.e. a good autofeeding picture scanner, would be awesome.

Last edited:

Latest posts