L E D Diffuser Zero artifacts and creamy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FASTCAR

Banned
Well it has been months since I started testing diffuser material for lights.
If you never read my other posts about this, I have tested 100 or so materials and combos now and I am done and happy.Spent well over $1000 doing so.

From many kinds of glass and sandblasting and etching to films and contact papers, many plastics..and so on.

I found 1 thats just best ,period.

Its a high temp long lasting material NOT used for this purpose, BUT it works great.Easy to cut and high transfer rate.

I insert in between the LA and the glass on the inside and just tighten the bezel down. It looks stock and can be removed if needed ( I never will)

EVERY single light I have tested incan.LED or HID have the same effect :100% perfect creamy artifact-free beam. Like L4 "wall of light" but better..yes I said better..infact alot nicer.

Do you lose a bit of lumens ? yes..roughly 10%...is it worth it? YES
If your light is say 130L and you lose 13 total lumens..none of you can "feel" this amount.

The reason im posting this :
This sheet cost me $642.71 shipped. its a 6foot by 6 foot SQ. I have used maybee 1% of it, less im sure.

If enough are interested I may cut ..I dont know maybee 1x1 inch sections out and sell em to CPFers for like a buck or 2+ shipping or somthing like that.Should fit any small tac light we use.Can make bigger if requested I guess. By ship I mean US postage stamp, im sure I can just mail this np at all.

I assure you : This is NOT : contact paper,camera diffuser film, or the stuff that flashlightlense.com uses..and no not PDA stuff or anti glare crapola.If 1000 of you looked, I doubt in a year 1 could find this stuff.

I am not here to make a buck, just help out any that hate the useless pointy throwy crappy beams that most lights have.

To be clear : This will KILL throw.You wind -up with a floody creamy smooth beam with little hotspot to none.It will "wall of light" like nothing you have seen however..do not think it will be dim. Does NOT efffect tint of light at all.

Also for any newbies : If you have a very throwy light and convert to flood..light will ***seem** dimmer on a wall at a few feet..this is the light spread out over a MUCH larger area.Total output is about the same.
This is like a laser VS a lightbulb in your house.

If interested please PM me. If I get a few that want a nice beam I have np cutting this sheet up.

Shipping time is whatever US mail takes..will be sent from my NJ house.
Maybee send me envelope with a stamp and a buck or 2 in it..will decide in a few days based on people interested.

In advance to cover myself ( I ship 1000's of packages a year from my shop)..I will not be held accountable for any lost incoming or outgoing mails. This will not be insured. NOT that I have ever had a US mail issue...Just dont want 1 person ( most likely a scammer) telling me he lost his 2 bucks or whatever..if your a known CPFr and have a problem I will make good at my loss

My 2 cents

FASTCAR

kabkbak7321

Newly Enlightened
Nope, I tried that stuff..got a sample by luck. was ok but not as good and cost 300$ as stated
Yes that would be great to have some pieces for my mags and 2 or 3 to cut down for smaller leds and incans! Please let us know when and if you plan on cutting some to sell.
I pulled apart a dead ipod nano,[you all would have done the same].:naughty:
One of the defuser sheet on the screen worked pritty well for this but I cant buy that manny ipods to mod my lights!

OhMyGosh

Newly Enlightened
I like flood. Flood good. I have been looking for a good diffuser but obviously not as hard as you have !:eek::eek::eek:! Definitely interested.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look up LEE FILTERS go to their web site and find the sample request form.
They will send a free sample of filters as well as diffusers, there is enough material to make lots of different discussions and color filters for flashlights.
It is lots of fun.
The HDS light company used to sell a kit with a bezel removal tool as well as some diffusers. add one of these sample filter kits to this "kit" and you can pretty light in just about any color with lots of diffusion choices.
This has been discussed here before at length.
BTW you can also color correct LEd's using these filters. Very cool. Oh and yes there is some loss. Most og the LEE filters have a chart showing loss and frequency.
Have fun
Yaesumofo

not2bright

Enlightened
FASTCAR,

I'm interested in two pieces that would fit a C or D size Mag.

I would also be interested in one of your 1"x1" size.

I hope you get enough interest to make it worth your while. If not, thank you in advance for your effort!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fastcar,

What's the thickness of this material and does it stick to stuff like writeright does? Also some before and after pics would be nice.

I know you didn't like the writeright I sent you, but I love the stuff. It don't diffuse much, it just smooths out those nasty rings like in Fenix cree lights. I use an SF F04 on light I really want to diffuse but it only comes in 1" and some larger sizes. How does it compare to a F04 Beamshaper?

Maybe one day we'll be able to order diffusers with any strength we like from mild to max.

FASTCAR

Banned
In no special order :

No it does not stick, reason I "sammach" it between the LA and glass inside

I got the Lee filter sample kit Designers Edition ( numeric listing)( its HUGE) not 1 was decent...80% or more are odd colors..none worked as I wanted at all actually

Seems a few want, so in a day or so I will go through with it.

Thickness is .010

They would not quote me temp rating..BUT use on quite a few personal lights : cree, lux, incan and PL24 HID. None have had issues of melting or yellowing yet.

On LED bike lights its for my taste 100% perfect.I use Wolf Eyes 6a or Wolf Eyes 9a /cree with the diffuser film.There is no real hot spot to distract the eye or dark areas. its just a wall of light smooth creamy and even.

As far as the M*g hybrids ( and similar) that burn stuff and start fires I can not say how it will last.

And last for the: I got down at some point to the TOP 3
Having acess to 3 6A/cree lights I could test all 3 back to back next to each other.As stated earlier 1 was just much better then the other 2..and ALL the others tested.

FASTCAR

Banned
Im quite sure it will cook, but for a goof I slapped some on a so called M*g 85 hybrid.

Will post after my walk 2night

FASTCAR

Banned
Long story short:

The M*g 85 light is MUCH hotter then I assumed.I do not know the type of batts or bulb, as my friend calls it an "85".

You hear stories about these lights getting hot and its hard to believe.I assure any reading this....they do get F'N hot !

Toasted the diffuser in seconds..yet my stock MC does not.

For a goof I might turn my Wolf Eyes 9a/cree 170L on for a full run of 3+ hours and see if anything happens.Will post later if I can

not2bright

Enlightened
FASTCAR,

I saw that you posted the material thickness as .010".

What would you suggest to cut a piece into a circle? Would a sharp pair of scissors work?

litho123

Enlightened
I think that you'll find that the diffusion gel (or what ever it is) is not designed for high temperature applications with incandescent bulbs. I know that the gel materials we use for work deform after exposure to high temp Par/leko fixtures.

For LED applications diffusion gels are great if you need them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts