Cobra stun gun LED flashlight for self defense, your opinion.

megawatt

Newly Enlightened
I watched an infomercial for the Cobra Stunlight. I have read several posts on CPF where folks are looking for a flashlight for self defense. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts about the Cobra. The website is www.cobrastunlight.com The flashlight has 3 leds and a red lazer for aiming the pepper spray housed in the flashlight. THE RANGE OF THE STREAM OF PEPPER SPRAY THAT IS HOUSED IN THE FLASHLIGHT IS STATED AT 20 FEET. This is a flashlight with a pepper sprayer built in the flashlight and not a typical stun gun where you have to touch the attacker with the unit. I thought this might be an alternative to just carrying a 3 or 4D Mag as a billy club. The cost is $199.00 with accessories. Advertised at 90 lumens with about a 2 hour run time, 5 or 6 one second bursts of pepper spray per canister, and the flashlight is rechargeable. I don't know what type LEDS are used. Check out the web site, see what you think and post your thoughts.

Last edited:

1wrx7

Enlightened
I saw this infomercial too. The dramatic "real life" use senarios were very entertaining. I know nothing about the light though. If it works I guess it could be useful to some.

noorudeenshakur

Newly Enlightened
Stun guns suck unless you buy a Tazer that will actually shoot the electrodes at the target. For defense I would say use your flashlight in one hand and pepper spray in the other. Far more effective than a stun gun. (Personal experience)

megawatt

Newly Enlightened
The Cobra Stun Light shoots a straight stream of pepper spray 20 feet and has a red lazer for aiming in addition to the 3 LEDS. It's all built into the light.

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
Are these the one which runs on 9V cells?

If it is, I wouldn't recommend the functionality of the stun gun on this one. It isn't as strong at the 3x CR123 powered Small Fry by Streetwise.

I actually tried these on myself (I'm not a self inflicting nut, just wanted to test their effectiveness), these 9V types still hurt, but doesnt cause the numbing pain like the Small Fry.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've received several emails asking if I've evaluated this product or if I was going to.
The response I furnished to them all was that I'd buy one around 07-22-07 if one of the advertisers on my website renews for another year.
No, I'm in no position to test the OC spray, but I could test other aspects of this product.

carrot

Flashaholic
Before I clicked the link I thought it was one of those cheap novelty lights. It looks somewhat promising, but I'm more sold on the Tigerlights, having seen my friend's. Bright as heck, rechargeable and comes in spray/no-spray models. Besides, I think the Tigerlights are the original, and I like to support the original when feasible.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I saw the commercial this morning too, it looks as if the "real footage" was all staged to me haha. The light output doesn't look like enough to blind somebody unless its maybe pitch black. The light and laser both go straight (of course) but the stream of spray arches at 20 ft. In order to hit somebody in the face it looks like you'd have to aim the light and laser about 2 feet over their head. I can see a lot of people buying them, infomercials was a great idea on somebody's part. Prey on the fears of people and all. I won't be buying one, I'll take a g2 and an xd anyday ;) If I ever do see one in a store I will pick it up and play with it.

edit: here's the commercial incase anyone hasn't seen it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStz7YUjKYA

g