Would you buy an Mini HDS CR2 Version?

Would you Buy CR2 powered HDS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hans

Enlightened
If henry made a Smaller version of his lights that was CR2 powered would you buy one?

I'd prefer an AA or even better an AAA version. Would make feeding the light in some of the more difficult places a lot easier without increasing the size of the light too much. An AA tube just doesn't cut it IMO.

Hans

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my maroon CR 2 Ion, and do not feel the need for another light like that.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
doesn't seem worth it. more expensive, harder to find, less capacity than cr123. the hds without the clip is pretty small. AA seems to be a more needed option imo

I think he should put his energy into new products such as a badass headlamp as good as the edc.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPFers are a funny lot. A CR2 has about half the capacity of a CR123. With the Cree and SSC LEDs, we can have about the same amount of light as we did last year this time with Luxeons, but at half the current. That means that today's CR2 light can equal the performance of last year's CR123 light and have the same runtime.

A CR2 HDS would have the advantage of being about the right diameter for a 2AA tube.

If it would go down easier with everyone, how about instead calling it a HDS 2AA with an optional shorter CR2 tube?

I love my HDS EDC and carry it (in my pocket) just about everywhere, but I do wish it were just a little bit smaller. A CR2 version would probably fit the ticket perfectly.

The more efficient LEDs become, the more sense a CR2 light makes.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure.

I really like CR123 lights and the size doesn't bother me that much. If I want smaller, I step down to my AA or AAA Arcs.

Then again, if it has the HDS legend stamped on the side I'm gonna be tempted. :twothumbs

CFU

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in a HDS that is about the size of the Fenix/Rexlight AA lights. If this could use 1AA/2AA (extender) or 1 cr2 (short body tube) I might use the cr2 option once in a while...

The only times I feel the HDS is too bulky it is because it is too fat not that it is too long..

Sverre

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The topic was CR2 version, but I would buy a AA version if it resulted in a much slimmer light, and actually proposed the same thing for that purpose almost a year ago in the HDS forum.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
the size isnt enough of a tradeoff, i mean what would the highest level runtime be? 4 minutes?

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't have enough runtime now with 123s and with a 120 output the drain on CR2s would be shortening runtime to an unacceptable level. You just can't have your cake and eat it I'm afraid.

Karl

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't agree with you more. I don't have enough runtime now with 123s and with a 120 output the drain on CR2s would be shortening runtime to an unacceptable level. You just can't have your cake and eat it I'm afraid.
Karl

I doubt there would be an attempt to make a CR2 version 120 lumens. More like 60 lumens on high if it actually came to be. Even so, I imagine 120 lumens out the front is achievable with a 1.2 amp draw from the lithium cell, and a CR2 might be able to hold that for 15 minutes or so.

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I am surprised by the amount of people that dont like CR2s after having my CR2 ion XRE I love them and wish more lights used them. It gets over an hour almost 90 minutes on high(about 50 lumens) and a little over 30 hours on low(probably about 5 lumens)

I think they could proably make an 85 lumen CR2 with a 30 minute runtime on max and atleast the same or better runtime than on the current 60 lumen versions that use 123 for the lower levels. Also CR2s aren't any more expensive than 123s at retail prices, and they can be bought at light hound for $1.32 each. Lithium AAs are $1.85. I just cant go back to alkies after using lithium, since I've been on CPF I haven't bought one AA or AAA light and probably wont any time soon. Maybe the best idea would be to do what wasblinded recommended and sell it as a AA light with the option to buy a CR2 battery tube. It would be great if it could be powered be 1xAA, 2xAA or CR2

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cr2 EDC version would be close to irresistable to me. I carry an EDC every day but I'm a dim light guy. As you may see below, even my MAX setting is way below MAX:
  • Primary 20 (0.08 lumens)
  • Secondary 16 (0.33 lumens)
  • MIN 9 (3.7 lumens)
  • Max 5 (10 lumens)
  • Force Primary setting
So, unlike the previous posters who wonder how long a cr2 would drive the light at MAX -- that is not an issue for the way I use my light. In fact, for a cr2 model to work for me with a P4 I'd need an increased dynamic range over my EDC so it could still be adjusted dim enough for my needs. Runtime would be no issue for me.

EDIT: I should add that even with the reduced size of a cr2 driven EDC I'd still gladly accept the additional length that a deep reflector would add to maintain a somewhat tight beam similar to the full sized model. That would be important to me.

Last edited: