Need a little help chosing a flashlight

sid2

Newly Enlightened
Been lurking here and on the web gleaning info on flashlights. I have been using a Cyclops and am having trouble with the switch, so I'm going to replace it.I have narrowed it down to either the FenixP3D-CE or the Wolf Eyes 9TX Raider. This will be an everyday light used in a rough enviroment. I'm a steamfitter- welderby trade. The sheath that it will be carried in will expose the tailswitch and the bezel as well.Should I pick either one or is there a standout. I would like 100+ lumens and a price under $70.00...Thank you......Sid

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Sid! As you can see be my sig line I don't own any Wolf Eyes lights so I can't speak to their toughness. I own a few Fenix's and for the way I use them they are more than tough enough.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix P3D-CE($56.58 at Fenix Store after 8% off coupon, CPF8) should be tough enough for most uses. If you'll use it everyday, you'll probably want rechargeable batteries. The 17670 3.7V rechargeable lithium ion battery(unprotected) or two RCR123 batteries might be a good choice.

If you need absolute toughness, then the Wolf Eye should be good (according to the owners).

You'll probably end up with both if you hang around this site any longer.

I presume this light will be used for short range illumination so flood is needed. If that is true, then a diffuser might also be needed to smooth out the beam.

You might want to consider a headlamp for your job. Then you'll have two hands free. Not may headlamps have the more efficient Cree/Seoul LED but that are coming out.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm not mistaken P3D-Ce could not use the 17670 due to fit. But 2xR123a rechargeable is no problems. I had one, previously but I sold it off due to some reason.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If toughness is going to be a main concern, Inova's X and T series lights are a better option. Not saying that Fenix or Wolf's Eyes will fail on you. But those Inova lights are built like tanks!

Melkor

Newly Enlightened
I've never used a Fenix so I can't comment on their toughness, but I have a couple Wolf Eyes lights (Sniper body) and they're pretty tough. I actually have one mounted to my 12 gauge, through which I shoot only hard kicking slugs and 00 buck.

Norm

Retired Administrator
but I have a couple Wolf Eyes lights (Sniper body) and they're pretty tough. I actually have one mounted to my 12 gauge, through which I shoot only hard kicking slugs and 00 buck.
The sniper is a fantastic, but I prefer the Raider it will run with the Lumens Factory EO-9, 380 bulb lumens in a nice small package, or if you prefer LED the WE 170 lumens Cree drop in . As Melkor said Wolf-Eyes are tough.
Norm

sid2

Newly Enlightened
Do you think the 200 lumens rating on the WE is accurate?

"The sniper is a fantastic, but I prefer the Raider it will run with the Lumens Factory EO-9, 380 bulb lumens in a nice small package, or if you prefer LED the WE 170 lumens Cree drop in . As Melkor said Wolf-Eyes are tough."
Norm

Norm, I know there's no such thing as a dumb question, but here goes...What does all the underlined stuff mean? Thanks again...Sid

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those you underlined are aftermarket products available for the Raider.

200 lumens is probably accurate, as long as you realize that is 200 lumens from the bulb, but more like 120 actually getting out the front of the light(SureFire measures out the front, so the Raider is closer to their 105/125 lumen rated lights than those 200 or more).

The Wolf Eyes lights are nicely made. Their weaknesses are that the switch's construction isn't great, being held in place in the tailcap by a bead of epoxy, and their lens is press fit, and not separated from the head by an o-ring, so prone to cracking with a drop on the bezel.
The Raider is a good choice in my opinion, I'm just giving you possible cons, which most any product is going to have. For the money, I don't think you'll beat the Wolf Eyes.
The lamp that comes in the Raider is exactly what I've been using until recently in a SureFire light on the job, and I have no complaints. Wide spot, bright spill, good reliability over time and rough use.
I switched to a Lumens Factory 150 lumen ES-9 because it penetrates steam and dust better, having a strong spot(smaller but as bright as the Raider's), but with very little sidespill. It also pulls a lot less current for longer runtime. I don't think it's listed at PTS. Probably don't carry it as it's not a very popular lamp, as most people seem to want the HO-9 or EO-9 for the increased brightness as opposed to a dimmer light:)

I don't know much about the Fenix. I work evening and some night shifts in a dusty industrial environment with lots of steam, dark colored surroundings, and ambient light(coke plant byproducts). LEDs don't work well at all compared to incandescents in these conditions.