Dorcy Metal gear 1W as brite as MAGLED 3W

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
why is this?
the stinky 3AAA dorcy metal gear 1W is as bright as a MAGLED 2D, 3D, and 4D 3W flashlight with new batteries.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
You may have gotten a poor quality specimen of the MAGLED bulb. I have both of these lights, and to my eyes, the 3D MAGLED has a least twice the output of my Dorcy Metal Gear.

Or maybe I have a poor specimen of the DMG. I was never too happy with it's ringy beam and green tint either. On the other hand, the Dorcy Super 1 Watt with the same battery configuration, has a very bright white and smooth beam.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My Metal Gear comes close, but it's not quite as bright as my 3AA MiniMagLED. Beam color is nice, though.

Geoff

frasera

Newly Enlightened
yea you might want to test outside. shine on something far away.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I am pretty impressed with my 4D MagLED. I can hit houses down the street with it. In a couple of weeks I am going to put the TerraLUX TLE-6EX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED in it. I can't wait to see what that does.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very hard to differentiate between the "brightness" of two lights using just your visual impression, especially if it is at a close range like a wall or something a few feet away. I have found it to be a "mirage" almost where the smaller light my look favorable and when you take it out for any distance or larger scale test the differrences become more readily apparent.

However as has been pointed out, the Mag might be faulty also, it could happen.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just swap out the Luxeon I star in the Metal Gear with an SSCP4 star and bam, you'll have a pretty bright flashlight. A lot of Dorcy's flashlights use Luxeon I, III or K2 stars--which makes them good candidates for basic modding. You can get SSCP4 stars from Deal Extreme or Kaidomain for around $6-$7 shipped each.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I agree that something may be wrong with your MagLED. I have what I consider to be an excellent example of a DMG, bought in June '05 before I even knew of CPF. It startled me in comparison to my SF E2e with early KL1 head that was my EDC then. It even competes with my first L2P bought after I started here, another luxeon lottery winner.
My 2C Mag with LED conversion is quite a bit brighter and with adjustable throw it's a little more flexible too. I just hate the beam artifacts in my Mag...

Latest posts