Looking for my first LED torch - advice appreciated!

optimus

Newly Enlightened
After purchasing a Surefire M3-CB, I've caught the bug and am looking for a nice LED torch. The M3 is great, but I could do with something that gives me a longer-lasting lightsource, mainly for camping expeditions. After doing a bit of googling, I've come up with the Surefire U2 digital ultra - what I would like to know is whether there are any similar products available at a slightly cheaper price!

I'm mainly looking for adjustable beam levels (preferably low with 20-40hours useable light, going up to 60-160 lumens)
Rugged, waterproof housing.
A high-output strobe mode would be great but not necessary.

Looking to spend >$200 roughly.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF optimus!

How about one of the soon to be released Novatac products?

kelmo

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optimus, walcome to CPF, Hold onto your wallet, buy both, yada, yada...

It's WAY below your price level but you should check out the multi-level Cree Fenix lights: Fenix L1D-CE, L2D-CE, P2D-CE, P3D-CE, L0D-CE, etc. The Fenix store has good prices and excellent customer service.

Very good comparative reviews can be found at Flashlightreviews.

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Here are a couple good lights to look at that some people seem to like as well as their Surefires.

Wolf Eyes Defender D2AX (Cree P4 HO 170 lumens)

LumaPower LumaHunter M1 Tactical LED flashlight w/ Cree XR-E 7090 LED 140 lumens NOW WITH BOTH REFLECTORS!

And, as nerdgineer said, the Fenix line are very good lights.

Better off with the WE Defender II rather than just the D2AX, has low 20 lumens and high 170 lumens, running on both primaries and rechargeable 18650, runs high for 80mins regulated and 50hours on low

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/165790

marxs

Enlightened
why not look at a drop in led module for the M3? You might want to look at milkyspits led heads for the M3

optimus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input people - I now have a lot to be looking at!
Where can I find one of these 'milkyspits led heads' I did a search but nothing came up and they sound very interesting.

And does anyone know whether the Novatac lights are going to be distributed in England? Or do I have to bite the customs bullet and order from USA?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Milkyspit modifies flashlights to your specifications. Try contacting Milkyspit.

The Fenix P3D-CE(2 CR123, review, run times, 60+ hours on low) or L2D-CE(2AA, Review, You could buy a 1AA and 1CR123 battery tubes) might be good for what you want. They aren't Surefire quality and they aren't waterproof (but pretty water resistant). The L2D-CE outputs about 122 lumen on turbo and the P3D-CE is only a few lumens more. Should be enough for camping needs. The Q2 versions are brighter but more expensive and IMO not worth it.

The Novatac lights should be very tough and water resistant, but since no one has the new lights yet, the real quality and usability is unknown.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I would just order from Lighthound. A very reputable dealer, whom previously many overseas bought their Surefire lights from (they no longer stock SF lights). For the most part ordering lights from the USA ends up being cheaper, anyway.

Interestingly, I can only think of two lights made in the UK -- the Lummi Orb lights and the Angus Noble Indium.

Novatac's lights are proven. They are almost exactly the same as the older HDS EDC lights, with an updated circuit, a new stainless steel bezel, and different threading. I know one of the beta testers -- he has a large collection of HDS EDC's and says the new Novatac EDC is *great.*

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
hard to beat the Fenix torches' package

but there surely are Ferraris available, thats where Your amount to spend lies.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have $200 to spend......

Get a AmiLite T5 right away,
and then consider a Rexlight 2.1 due out in a few weeks.
Total cost around $130.

This should get you off to a great start.

+