Moving to the South Bay area and need some help

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm moving to the South Bay area and i'm looking for some help in locating a nice/cheap 1 bedroom apartment to rent. I'm looking at the Mountain View area but anywhere that is reasonably close is fine as well. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Welcome to the bay area. Sell your snow shovel, buy some sun tan lotion, and give craig's list a try. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/apa/
Maybe an apartment wanted ad posted there would produce.

Don't know if you have made the move yet but a good source for more reasonable housing would be local colleges. Try contacting the housing offices at local Jr. colleges: Foothill, DeAnza, Mission, West Valley. Usually lots of postings as classes approach. Maybe Stanford also. All are located within silicone valley proper.

Best of luck with your move.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice AND cheap are something that will be an extreme rarity in that area. Depending on your situation you may find renting a room in a home as the cheapest alternative. Now if you could just find a South Bay flashaholic that has an extra room in a nice house that would probably be the real deal! Housing anywhere in the Bay area tends to be so high that I've seen people living in Motorhomes on the street. Sometimes college apartments can be unreasonably high as they know they are catering to people who want to be close to school and will pay extra for that. I don't live there but was fairly close for 25+ years and know it's difficult to find affordable housing there. I know there's quite a few Bay area flashaholics here that can probably narrow things down for you and help point you to some good sources. Maybe even PM some of them if they don't jump on here in the next few days. Good luck in your move goldserve!

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm here in Santa Clara and renting a studio for $1100.00 a month. Pretty sure there are many out there that are less. Atrium Garden in San Jose goes for under $1000.00 a month and is newer.

Let me look. . .

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your replies. I'll look at craig's list. My budget range is $1000 so i don't think it is unreasonable.

You probably won't find a 1 bedroom for that amount in the Mountain View area (unless you want to live in a seedy part of town).

I'd look farther south; the farther away from the penninsula, the cheaper it'll get.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm inclined to agree with Dano that $1000 might be pushing it. Mountain View is a bit pricey given it's proximity to Stanford University and all the high tech companies in the Mountain View area (including Google.) For a $1000 (or less) you might be able to rent a room in someone's home (though those are attractive to students and the rents may get higher as it gets close to the beginning of school.)

The Atrium Gardens that CHC suggested is a fully furnished studio apartment complex in the middle of San Jose. It's someone similar to living in a hotel room, but it's pretty nice and affordable.

The good news is that real estate is in a little bit of a slump in this area and that might be reflected in some of the rental properties as well. But just to give you a bit more perspective, in the middle of the dot-com boom around the turn of the century, many one bedroom apartments were renting for close to $2000 a month on an average, fortunately that has come back down to a slightly more reasonable level.

Thanks for your replies. I'll look at craig's list. My budget range is $1000 so i don't think it is unreasonable.

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Brighteyez,
In the many years I lived in the bay area rental prices had a strange life of their own. When interest rates were low and people ccould afford to buy, often they would rather own a condo than rent, so rental prices would drop during most real estate booms. When rates rose, people would default and sell the condos then go looking for apartments. Rents dropped.

We are in a real estate lull and defaults are up but generally outside the core peninsula. Also, every indication is that silicon valley is gearing up with significant infusions of venture capital. This should create jobs and increase rental demand in the process.

As you mention, it was very crazy during the first two internet waves. I left the valley, my lifelong home, in late '97 and moved north to start a business in Napa Valley. There was so much dot com money floating around the bay area that I couldn't find a place to live. No home, no apt, no nothin'. Literally, there was one rental listing here in the valley - a one bedrom cottage in a beautiful vinyard - price $4000 a month. So my wife, my daughter, the two dogs, and the pet rat lived in a dark storage room behind the business until we found quarters in a russian orthodox convent. After six months we found less temporary quarters but nothing suitable for over a year and a half.

Fortunately things have calmed a bit. Anyway, Goldserve, if you need to go south, you might consider something close to the train line. I lived near the san jose/santa clara border for 10 years and commuted to palo alto daily using the train. Was a wonderful relaxing alternative to the commute down 280.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not scare Goldserve away :) He should be able to find housing, it's just that it might cost a little more than the $1000/month that he was budgeting for.

Oddly enough, while the real estate might be in a slight downturn, it seems that there is an increased demand for office space of late. Not sure why since there still seem to be quite a few never occupied buildings that are only about 6 years old. At the San Jose/Milpitas border there is an entire campus of multi-story buildings next to Cisco that was finished just as the dot-bomb hit and it has never been occupied. :(

Literally, there was one rental listing here in the valley - a one bedrom cottage in a beautiful vinyard - price $4000 a month.

Groundhog66

Banned
You will find something, no need to worry. But TYPICALLY in the Bay Area, if something seems like a great deal......it probably has a dark side. Many nice areas are not far from the not so nice areas.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, drop me a call or better yet setup a flashaholic lunch.
We'll make sure you'll settle in nice an comfy.