Tanker Fire ?SI NYC

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
As you probably have seen on the news, there was a MASSIVE tanker fire off Staten Island NYC today - At least one dead, one "missing", and one in the hospital with 3rd degree burns.

Red Cross NY has activated (One ERV, One shelter, Plus HQ) and NYC ARES has been supporting them - It looks like it might go all night. I may be called out, I have filled in for a few minutes as Net Control this evening

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
That and the recycling plant fire in San Diego which was first reported as another refinery fire had me wondering if the islamofascists or the ELF or the anti-SUV crowd were on the move again.

Apparently both are accidental. (whew!) but still caused oil prices to spike again this afternoon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Yes, It was a refueling accident! I'm getting ready to leave for the site now - I've got Midnight to 8:00am - I have to get the truck packed to go

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Well, good luck and take care of yourself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We're on "hold" for the moment - don't know if I'm going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the wish for safe work.

I also want to say I watched it unfold this morning on CNN as well as other channels. The news coverage was really terrible. One anchor actually said "well, I've had experience with oil burning before. It floats just below the surface of the water and can actually burn under water."

What, like he didn't have anything to say so he made something up just to keep the yacking going???

And they were really harsh on the emergency response, which they couldn't see from their helicopter camera. That, regardless of the fact that the fire was relatively quickly cut down.

News coverage was a real bummer. Maybe all the money's going into the photography these days. At least that aspect was informative.

Just remember there are folks that are willing to see past the stupid news coverage and have infinite respect for those whose daily job is to go straight into harm's way.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
...snip...
News coverage was a real bummer. Maybe all the money's going into the photography these days. At least that aspect was informative.

Just remember there are folks that are willing to see past the stupid news coverage and have infinite respect for those whose daily job is to go straight into harm's way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they called us off - so I don't have to respond tonight (now tommorow's probable flooding.....)

I see the news from both sides. I've worked incidents as a vol, but my day job is as a computer programmer for one of the big 3 networks in the news division - hint, I won't defend them

That said, the reason the fire burned down so fast had very little to do with the NYFD! Yes, they hit the secondary fires fast (which prevented a second barge from going), but the main reason the fire died down so fast is that the gas burned - nothing left! There was some confusion about letting some of the employees past the police line - they were needed to shut the valves to prevent more fuel from getting to the fire - hey, it happens. There was a LOT of confusion on the NYFD radio this AM - It's a CRONIC NYFD problem - the dispatchers do an OK job, but the average fireman? Do you really need the cat calls and funny noises on the radio? Yeah, I know they are not radio pros, but they have NO radio disipline. It has been a problem for YEARS, and has come out in the WTC reports as something that may have cost some of the 343 their lives