First Cree, Ultrafire C3 or JetBeam C-LE?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well as I wait for paypal funds to clear I was all set to get an Ultrafire C3 as a first inexpensive Single AA Cree and now I read the JetBeam C-LE is now for sale at $25. Although I prefer a click to a twist, the C-LE at least in photos looks smaller and more refined and of course offers the multiple levels. So in terms of features aside, which light do you think would be more reliable without having to fiddle around with it constantly. Also is one significantly more efficient then the other? One feature I like is some sort of warning when the battery is about to die. My Huntlight FTA2 just stops working when battery gets low, it won't come on when the switch is depressed and I don't like that.

x2x3x2

Banned
I would go for the C-LE.

You can compare them on my site, have got both reviewed :)

flame2000

Enlightened
$24.50 for a twistie with multiple level and improved runtime is a good deal.:)
Unless you don't mind them adding a clickie switch and a holster to it and increase the price range to $45 to $55.:D

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I like the JetBeam very much. It has a great finish, a smooth white beam, and is smaller. But, there are a couple drawbacks to consider. First, it may not be as bright as some of the competition. Mine is slightly dimmer than the Rexlight on high setting. Second, the switch is fiddly. You must be really quick twisting it off and on to get to the next level. Also, because it's a head-in-body design the threads need to be kept clean for good contact.

In spite of these slightly negative characteristics I'd probably get another if I lost this one. Seems a good buy for the price.

Geoff

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough decision. The C-LE certain sounds like a better bargain although I have read more then a few negative posts on it (maybe earlier versions, not sure). However, I dislike twisties except for a key chain light. Often times I'll use the light in one hand while holding or doing something with the other and turning on and off a twisty is not easy one handed.

lexina

Enlightened
The C3 can officially run on a 14500. There's also an option to add a 2AA extender. It's a single mode with a reverse clickie.

A 14500 is not recommended for the JB-CLE but lots of people, including me, use it (mainly for short intervals). There are 5 (plus 1 "find me" mode) modes and it's a twisty (which, as mentioned by others, can be fiddly and imprecise).

Taking into account the above, I prefer the JB-CLE because of the brightness and smoothness of the beam. With the C3, I can see the dreaded Cree rings. In fact, I would rate the JB-CLE reflector as one of the best for the Cree.

Of course, you can do like I did and get both!

lightbug

Enlightened
I own both of these lights and have been running them with 14500.
C-LE gets quite warm when you running it with 14500 on medium mode, and HOT on high mode, but the C3 is barely warm.

To me the SoS and strobe features on my C-LE are totally useless, what I like best about C-LE are its small size and supports low mode.

Both of them work well with akaline batteries, but C3 is noticebly brighter than C-LE. According to x2x3x2's review, C3 is about 50% brighter than C-LE on akalines. (1204 lux Vs. 817 lux)

For the fact the UF C3 has the 2AA extention, runs cooler, and better price; I would vote it over Jetbeam C-LE.

Just my 2 cents.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advice to buy both in the true CPF mantra, sigh.

I think if I were to buy both, I'd be better off spent, getting a Fenix instead. Upon reading reviews/opinions of both the Ultrafire C3 and the Jetbeam C-LE, I read far too many posts of I had to do this or to do that in order to get the light to work properly. I had to do this or do that in order to get my two Huntlight FTA2's to work properly but did not have to for either of my Fenix's (L1P, L2D). Maybe I guess you can't really spend $20-25 for a Cree light and not expect problems but that's really all the free paypal money I have right now.

How long does it typically take to receive the Jetbeam C-LE after placing an order?

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
Shipping has been over three weeks to the east coast on normal stock items.

moon lander

Enlightened
i prefer the C3 with extender, it has more battery options, a clicky switch, and always come on full blast. the c-le always comes on in medium with PWM so you have to twist it on 3 times in a row to get it to high mode with no PWM. not a fan of PWM. best option of all: get an L2Dce. perfect in every way (IMHO) and brighter than the C3 with extender (which is brighter than the c-le)

comboy

Newly Enlightened
your first Cree flashlight, i like JETBeam, the C-LE has a good price than UF C3

dapyro

Newly Enlightened
I have both the lights, it depends on the function you have in mind. The Jetbeam is smaller and has more modes, but because it is a twisty it is a bit less practical to put it on in the right mode.

If you want to have a simple flashlight that just works without different modes and which is easy to turn on, choose for the C3. It is a bit bigger in the pocket though. It can have more battery configurations and is easier to mod. It can have some initial problems though.

If you want a good clicky multi-mode light, I would recommend you to wait for the rexlight 2.1, it looks promising at the moment.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Ultrafire C3 today, 1xAA is bright enough for most jobs even for medium throws(10-20m), 2xAA setup is barely noticable when using it close range but noticable when lightning up distance object. Havent tried 14500 or 3xAA(with 2 extension tube) yet but throws should be better.

Initial impression compared to my Fenix L2D-CE.
1xAA as bright as L2D-CE on medium
2xAA is almost as bright as L2D-CE on High
cant seems to notice a difference between 1xAA and 2xAA though probably because of the not-so-fresh nimh battery that i used. For the price its definetable beats L2D-CE. I would by one again.
Ultrafire C3 hotspot is larger then Fenix L2D-CE

ps. i just drove 350km in developing-country-road when doing this comparison please forgive my mistake.
i only use (tired)eye preception :eek:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
risky p, no need to apologize and thank you for your evaluation. I too, just ordered the C3 with extension tube. I have to remind myself, this is only a $20 flashlight and not to get upset if it doesn't fully meet my flashaholic expectations. I'm sure it will be fun to play with and may actually come to be useful.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, as long as you dont compare it with Surefire or the like you'll be fine with Ultrafire C3. In fact i dont have Surefire myself. just dont expect this to be a Surefire.

Quality assestment(after a good night sleep) of C3:
thread seems to be good, no cross threading while srewing down a tail cap.
The one i received doesnt have any defect even in the knurling. Its beautifully made flashlight almost as good as my L2D-CE with less then half the price.

You wouldnt regret your purchase on Ultrafire C3. Its flexibility in battery, overal build and brightness for the price is amazing.

Pros:
bright
good build quality
well balanced from head to tail.
orange o-ring looks beautifull in contrass with black flashlight :)
no battery rattle
light doesnt flicker when shaken.
The one i received has perpectly centred emitter(nice).
Nice tint(bluer than my L2D-CE), Less blue than MTE SSC 1xAA
Price.

Cons:
cannot tail stand.
tail cap must be screwed tight or the light doesnt work.
clicky seems slightly too deep for my thumb.
Sanyo 2700mah doesnt fit(sanyo eneloop does)

risky p, no need to apologize and thank you for your evaluation. I too, just ordered the C3 with extension tube. I have to remind myself, this is only a $20 flashlight and not to get upset if it doesn't fully meet my flashaholic expectations. I'm sure it will be fun to play with and may actually come to be useful.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more question about the Ultrafire C3. I've read that a lot of the newer capacity nimh's don't fit this light. Do you know if the Energizer 2500s fit? If not, any brands that can be found at either Walmart, Circuit City or Best Buy?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried Sanyo 2500( i assume that similar capacity would yield the same size) it fits inside Ultrafire C3. I dont think 2700mah battery will fits.

I can easily recommend Ultrafire C3 or MTE 1xAA for the price with almost similar brightness

Thanks

Tjin

Newly Enlightened
well i have had both. The C-Le is sold, the C3 is a keeper.

The twisting operation for a multilevel light just isn't working for me. To much work, witching modes. I like the well build, simple on/off C3. I have had not problems with the tail twitch being to deep and i like the fact it sticks out.

the servents of twilight

Newly Enlightened
First off I want to say that I do not own a C3. The thing that always impressed me about the the CL-E is the form factor. It is a very small light - it is like having a bic lighter in your pocket. That said - that is the only thing I like about the light (based on owning other cree lights). If I was going for size alone I would go for a cree AAA light. If I was going for a AA size light I would chose something brighter and something easier to use than the CL-E (clicky vs. twisty). That said - you cannot go wrong with the price of these 2 lights. I am sure you will be happy with whatever you chose.