SF G2 Questions

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, after alot of help and suggestions from this site, I just purchased my first SF G2:thumbsup:. Now I would like to make this a brighter rechargeable light with a decent runtime and I was wondering what lamp, cells, charger:confused: and dealer would you suggest. I did a search and found alot of great information, but I would still like to learn from your own personal experience. My budget is limited, so I want to make sure I order all the right parts to avoid the extra shipping charges:broke:. Thanks for you help.

springbok

Newly Enlightened
i went two ways:

i bought a 3.7v lamp assembly from a member on CPF, called AW.

This same guy sells good rechargeable batteries and charger as well.
The charger was the ultrafire wf-139, and the battery was the 17670, 3.7v.

I also bought an awesome LED dropin from dealextreme, and bought 2x rcr123 3.7v batteries from AW once again.

i love both configuarations.

oh, lighthound also sells the aforementioned goodies, except the dealextreme led dropin of course.

:naughty:

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Easiest, most high-performance way that comes to my mind is two RCR123s and a P90 or P91 lamp assembly.

You should be able to run a P90 on two protected RCR123s, AWs cells work fine with mine with a single click.

You will not be able to run a P91 on two RCR123s, way to high current draw.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, similar to the above....my choice would be either

1x 17670 + LF EO-4 = 40 minutes with 135 lumen start OR

2x RCR123 + LF SR-9 = 30 minutes with 140 lumen start

note these are not Surefire lumens

Wingsfan23

Newly Enlightened
You could also get a cell extender and use the 9 V lamps from lumens factory.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, similar to the above....my choice would be either

1x 17670 + LF EO-4 = 40 minutes with 135 lumen start OR

2x RCR123 + LF SR-9 = 30 minutes with 140 lumen start

note these are not Surefire lumens

Cernobila, are you saying that I should not really expect 135 or 140 lumens? Also, will the 30 to 40 minutes be regulated? Thanks

BoomerSooner

Newly Enlightened
Don't use a single 17670 with a P90. I tried this setup over the weekend and got a very yellow, dull, ugly beam. I can't speak for the P90 & 2-RCR123 route, I have never tried it.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cernobila, are you saying that I should not really expect 135 or 140 lumens? Also, will the 30 to 40 minutes be regulated? Thanks

No, would not be regulated

135 is about 87 Surefire lumens and 140 is about 91 Surefire lumens.......what is normally quoted is "bulb" lumens, you multiply these by .65 to get the Surefire quoted "output" lumens......The typical 6P or G2 out of the box is quoted as 65 lumens.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, thanks.

Information above thanks to "mdocod"

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't use a single 17670 with a P90. I tried this setup over the weekend and got a very yellow, dull, ugly beam. I can't speak for the P90 & 2-RCR123 route, I have never tried it.

Boomer, the P90 is a 9V lamp, the 17670 is a 3.7V cell, not compatible......the P90 lamp will work with 2x RCR123 cells, (2x 3.7V = 7.4V, sufficient for 9V lamp) run time would be about 30 minutes and the initial output would be about 130 bulb lumens.

Information above thanks to "mdocod"

BTW, welcome to CPF

DM51

Flashaholic
cernobila's advice is correct and accurate. He makes reference to CPFer mdocod's work on this, which is excellent and should be read by all who are not sure about which combination of lamp assemblies and batteries can be used in which light. Mdocod's guide can be read here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

Also worth considering, if run-time is a concern, are the Cree D26 (P60-size) drop-ins available from Wolf-Eyes and DX. There are a number of threads about these active at the moment in the LED sub-forum.

BoomerSooner

Newly Enlightened
Boomer, the P90 is a 9V lamp, the 17670 is a 3.7V cell, not compatible......the P90 lamp will work with 2x RCR123 cells, (2x 3.7V = 7.4V, sufficient for 9V lamp) run time would be about 30 minutes and the initial output would be about 130 bulb lumens.

Yea, I know now. Thanks. I read the chart of mdocod's wrong. Actually, I didn't read it wrong, I remembered it wrong. :ohgeez:Just didn't want anyone to make the same mistake. Not that they would.

I read "buy LF lamp & use 17670 I already have.

I read "buy 2 RCR123's and use P90 lamp I already have.

Well, you see how my memory is. :shrug:

3mw

Newly Enlightened
You could also get a cell extender and use the 9 V lamps from lumens factory.

Is a black nitrolon cell extender available? If so, where can I purchase one? I was thinking about picking up a G3, but this may be a better route. Thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
Nope. Only in black anodized metal for the official Surefire one, and there are other metal 1-cell extenders sold by Lighthound. The black Nitrolon extender that Surefire DOES sell is too long -- it's designed to adapt the G2 into a rechargeable light running off the NiCd B90 B65 battery stick, which is effectively 3.5 batteries long.

Last edited:

BoomerSooner

Newly Enlightened
I could have sworn I saw a Nitrolon one cell extender on someone's site in the last few days. Damned if I can remember where now though. If I run across it I'll post it.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a black nitrolon cell extender available? If so, where can I purchase one? I was thinking about picking up a G3, but this may be a better route. Thanks

If I were to give advice, I would pick up a drop-in cree module for your G2 and run whatever battery configuration you want with it. I would pick up a G3 and purchase a couple 17500's for it and run it rechargeable without any modifications.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Okay guys, I think I'm going to go with AW's 3.7 lamp, protected 17670, and WF-139 charger. What do you guys think? Is their a 3.7V set up (incadescent) that is higher in quality and brighter? Will I have to modify the light in any way with AW's stuff? Thanks.

Latest posts