Using SF E1L as a candle

jlomein

Enlightened
I am curious if the stock Surefire E1L luxeon can be used as a candle continuously?

I've never owned one, but I own a modified E1L that has a McR20 reflector and Seoul LED. I am powering it with an AW protected RCR123.

I tried using it as a candle, leaning against a book to make it stand. After about 20 minutes the light started to flicker and then shut off. When I touched it, it felt very hot. After letting it cool for about 10 minutes, I turned it back on and it worked at full brightness. I took out the RCR123 cell and it tested at 3.87v, so it was not dead.

I thought Seoul LEDs generate less heat than Luxeon? What caused my light to turn off? Do stock E1L's do the same?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run my E1L using AW's R123a 3.7v protected until the protection kick in without any problems as you have described. May not be your E1L.I suspect its the battery.......... Usually a defective battery shows no voltage drop without load(like full voltage) but once you apply a load it drops down considerably and triggers the shutdown. The flickering you mention indicates very low voltage from battery.

Last edited: