Thoughts on Pelican Tracker

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
I do a great deal of hiking/canoeing and like my lights small.
I'm looking at the Tracker because of it's very small size, cheap price and ability to throw a beam reasonably far.
I have a number of Led lights for up close work, but I want to carry something with more throw also. Does this light have a good track record? What about bulb life?

Any other light suggestions in this category that I might want to look at?

Thanks.

Blair

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Blair,

I also enjoy the water and woods.

I do not own the Tracker, so I can not comment directly on it.

For hiking only, most of the AAA style lights work well, but the incandescent bulbs limit the run time. LED's rule here.

When you get out on the water things are a little different. Trying to find a location in the dark from a canoe or kayak can be difficult. More light is better.

10 years ago, I upgraded from a 2 AA light (PT 20) to a 4 AA light (PT 40) and have been pleased. I get decent run time and good brightness. The down side is that the light weighs more. I have used this light camping, hiking, and boating and can highly recommend it.

Last year I upgraded my boating light to a 4 C light (UK SL4). I only take this light when there is little hiking involved because it is pretty heavy, but it has a long throw. I have been pleased with this lights performance.

Back to your question. I think you should upgrade your search to those lights that use AA batteries (for longer run time), and I think you will find the 4 AA lights better for water use.

Pelican, PT, and UK are all good manufacturers.

Tom