• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: MagCTower

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
All we know Mag lack of heatsink for MagLED upgraded or other retrofit dropin Led. :sick:
Here is the :toilet: idea, just replace the plactic part to this black aluminium heatsink.
All you need the tool is 2mm Hex Key and be patient to open & put it back only.
And the most important thing is to keep the quick focusing system work as usual.:eek:
The result is :party:. You can drive your MagC as hard as possible because the tower transfer the heat to the MagC body.
No more frosty lens.:xyxgun: Stay bright. :devil:

Here is the 30mins. test run of 2x MagC with MagLED 4cell & UCL at Room Temp. 27 degrees C & RH 90% .
Green MagC with stock plastic tower. (No mod.)
HA MagC modded with MagCTower Heatsink.

Here we go....

MagCtower.jpg

Tower9.jpg

The MagCTower direct contact to the MagC body, you know where the heat goes.

Tower4.jpg

Tower5.jpg

Tower6.jpg

Tower2.jpg

Steam were build up by heat all over the reflector & Lens at stock Mag. :crazy:

Tower8.jpg

Tower7.jpg

Tower3.jpg

The frosty lens reduce a lot of throw.

:anyone: interest? :thanks:

Last edited:

Nebula

Enlightened
Charles - I would be in for a couple. This looks like a nice mod for those that might want to keep their MagLED close to stock. How much is involved in changing out the part? Can this design be carried over to the D Mags? Thanks. Kirk

JamisonM

Enlightened
download, I think I understand what you're describing, but I'm still a little fuzzy. Do you mind posting a few pictures of it installed inside the maglite body and another of it installed outside the mag body, but still on the switch assembly? This would really help me visualize your words.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kirk,
It does not work MagLED only, whatever you dropin LED is OK too. So it will be very easy to upgrade the LED module.
For the installation of the heatsink: a 2mm Hex key, a flat head screw driver & a little bit lubricant that all you need.
No soldering & dremel job. 5-10 mins will finish the mod.
Unfortunately, current D-size Mag have different design. The heatsink has to re-design all over again.

Hi JamisonM,
The installed heatsink show at the photo, I will show more detail after starting sell.
Stay tuned.

:thanks:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry, it will come very soon, not months, not weeks, only days. :santa:
Price should be around $1X + shipping. Reasonable? :thinking:

:thanks:

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
I think I see what you're talking about now download. Before saying anything though, I'll wait for more details.

cnjl3

Enlightened
I would be interested. Please PM me when it becomes available.
This picture might help since I have the C size switch housing in half to insert a Kiu Alumin base but in your case it would be your black tower:)

DSC02886.jpg

Last edited:

Niteowl

Enlightened
Nice Charles, I like it. I'd be in for at least one most likely two. I like how sturdy it is and might put one in an ROP,.... just because.

cnjl3

Enlightened
Well, now I have a question.
If the purpose is to transfer heat and the tower is metal why paint the aluminum black?
Wouldnt there be a better heat transfer with 'bare' aluminum?
popcorn.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
There were some studies awhile back on CPF showing that black is indeed better than bare al for heat transfer. Can't find thread.

Bill

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Niteowl, you reminded me to test with stock 5 cell Incandescent bulb drive by 2x Li-ion 18650. Can't imagine the large amount of heat transfer to the body, it may help to save the black plactic inside the tower if drive harder like ROP....

cnjl3

Enlightened
I remember looking at Newbie's post and at first I found the information hard to believe but his temperature readings proved that
Black is better than plain aluminum.
Thank you for the link:)

:oops:I thought a thin Black anodizing surface is better for heat transfer & the moving parts. ....:thinking:.... please correct me if I am wrong.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/143193

NewBie got the excellent info!
Thanks

robm

Enlightened
Newbie's post tested heat transfer to stationary air via radiation. I don't think conduction to another metal part (i.e. the light body) would necessarily behave the same :thinking:

Reptilezs

Enlightened
anodize(any color) has a negligable effect of heat conduction which is the case here. black is only beneficial in a open air enviroment which the inside of a mag body is not.