Changing driver board in current issue L5...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh please say it can be done! I just had OpticsHq set one aside for me until payday. I had one a while back and sold it, then regretted it. Now that the SSC-P4's are available, I can't resist trying to put one in there but of course the stock driver board will insta-pop it. I'm trying to decide if 750mah is enough or if I should just go to an full 1A. I'm looking to get solid hour on a AW 17670. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
KDOG, why are you wanting to destroy a wonderful KL5 head and replace it with a Seoul? From my point of view the KL5 is the best of the SF led lights. It handles heat well and puts out a beautiful beam. It is truly a workhorse that can take abuse, and runs very well on one 17650, or better yet, one 18650, with a different tube. It is great for close up work, not having an overly bright hotspot that can be irritating to the eyes. I don't mean to fault you, but truly the L5 (KL5) is that kind of light that does not need improvement.

Bill

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you make an interesting point. I will also have to see once it gets here too. I've had 2 of them before, the first one had a horrible donut hole and I sent it back. The next one was ok as far as the donut, but just seemed dimmer. Also you must consider the reason I'm getting it. I already have a Seoul modded KL1 head that runs @ 500mA for a good 100 lumens out the front. So I got the L5 to be an absolute SCORCHER. A full amp will pretty much do that for me. ;) But nothing is set in stone. I just need to get my grubby little paws on it first.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you make an interesting point. I will also have to see once it gets here too. I've had 2 of them before, the first one had a horrible donut hole and I sent it back. The next one was ok as far as the donut, but just seemed dimmer. Also you must consider the reason I'm getting it. I already have a Seoul modded KL1 head that runs @ 500mA for a good 100 lumens out the front. So I got the L5 to be an absolute SCORCHER. A full amp will pretty much do that for me. ;) But nothing is set in stone. I just need to get my grubby little paws on it first.

I want the exact same thing, I figure the KL5 head Is nice and deep enough for some good through, but not HUGE like the KL6.

DB1000 with a Seoul USVOI with maybe 2 stages?

PM'ed Milkyspit :twothumbs

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 60 ohm McE2S 2-stage tailcap sitting here that I will probably throw in it, but I have to get a standard Z41 tail cap since the L5 comes with a clickie...PhotonFanactic was out of USVOI's when I ordered last, so I got 2 USWOHs' coming. I'll have to check and see when he gets the OIs' back in.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
WOH's will have a lower vf than VOI's. CM put WOH's in all of my Seoul modded lights. Two are in VIP's, and one in a Chameleon. H vf is great with boost and buck boost circuits.

Bill