Held up at gunpoint tonight....

beach honda

Enlightened
The one night i was not carrying...

Walking home from a bar in Tampa called The Dubliner... A Nice area in south tampa, they caught me off guard (about 12 midnight). No flashlight, no knife, and most importantly...no GUN! They walked up behind me in a dark street as i was walking to my car, they both appeared to be high school age punks with long barrel revolvers. Told me to empty my pockets. I gave em my wallet with no cash in it, just plastic and IDs, and my cell phone. They told me to lay face down in the dirt as they sped away. I filed a police report, and Im glad I am alive. They can have the wallet and the phone, but It will NEVER happen to me again.

I will now be carrying a dummy wallet and will at no point leave the house without a carry piece.

Any suggestions besides the obvious?

-Chris

KingGlamis

Banned
That sucks big time! I was robbed twice at gunpoint at a previous job years ago. Not a good feeling at all. Hopefully they catch the low-life.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Glad to hear you're ok. :phew:

I have to wonder though what difference a gun would have made besides making the morons more nervous than they already were.... :thinking:

You getting shot? :shrug:

paulr

Flashaholic
The one night i was not carrying...

Walking home from a bar in Tampa called The Dubliner... A Nice area in south tampa, they caught me off guard (about 12 midnight). No flashlight, no knife, and most importantly...no GUN! They walked up behind me in a dark street as i was walking to my car, they both appeared to be high school age punks with long barrel revolvers. Told me to empty my pockets. I gave em my wallet with no cash in it, just plastic and IDs, and my cell phone. They told me to lay face down in the dirt as they sped away. I filed a police report, and Im glad I am alive. They can have the wallet and the phone, but It will NEVER happen to me again.

I will now be carrying a dummy wallet and will at no point leave the house without a carry piece.

Any suggestions besides the obvious?

-Chris

I gotta wonder what you'd have done with a carry piece if you'd had one with you. Of the different ideas I can come up with, none seem good.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
No flashlight. Some Flashaholic you are.:duh2:

You would have ended up giving them your EDC. You weren't going to draw down on them anyway; real life isn't like in the movies you'd end up getting shot or worse and they'd have your gun too. Just be safe and travel in your own pack (at midnight). Avoid looking like a target by doing sweeps with your flashlight (that you should have had on you). Thugs will think you're a cop and pick on someone else.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I think the dummy wallet is a good idea. I would keep a reasonably thick stack of ones and fives in it so it's less obvious that it's a dummy. I carry my plastic separate from my cash; if I'm held up and have a choice, I'd rather hand over a few bucks (easily replaceable) than spend the rest of the night cancelling credit cards and trying to replace my licence. I guess my cash wallet doubles as a dummy wallet, while the stuff I'd rather not lose is hopefully still on me.

As far as having your piece with you, you'd have to be ridiculously fast to get the drop on two guys who are already aiming at you, and the law generally frowns on shooting the bad guy when his back is turned. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, and a little situational awareness goes a long way. You are unhurt and that's the most important thing. Life goes on, and you are a little smarter for the experience.

beach honda

Enlightened
After armed robbery, relief that no mcgizmos were harmed...

Yeah so i got held up at gunpoint last night, and funny thing is, besides being thankful im alive, all I could think was "thank god that none of my Mcgizmos were harmed\stolen!"

just thought you guys would find that semi-humorous

-chris

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, if you happened to be carrying a gun, when they had you at gun point would you take out your gun and shoot them in the lower body to make them drop theirs. Kinda curios what the proper protocol is for a sit. like that.

sgt253

Enlightened
Re: After armed robbery, relief that no mcgizmos were harmed...

Glad to hear you are all right. A harrowing experience I am sure. A bad situation that could have been made worse. Take care and be safe.

Regards.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

If they had known the value, though, things probably would be different. Glad you weren't hurt!

BUZ

Enlightened
Just curious, if you happened to be carrying a gun, when they had you at gun point would you take out your gun and shoot them in the lower body to make them drop theirs. Kinda curios what the proper protocol is for a sit. like that.

Think I woulda given each one of those *******s a 230 hard ball slug right between the shoulder blades as they left! :mad:

mspeterson

Enlightened

?...

Last edited:

mspeterson

Enlightened

There was a situation like this recently in Cleveland, where a concealed carry permit holder was acosted by a pair of armed robbers. The victom shot and killed one of the assailants, the other attacker has been charged with his companions death. The victom was never charged.

In a situation like this, if your going to pull a gun, shoot to kill.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry to hear you got held up. I'm glad you and your Mcgizmoes are ok. Events like that can really put things in perspective. I know a woman who got shot when she did not give her purse. She did not see the gun until it was too late. She survived.

Yeah so i got held up at gunpoint last night, and funny thing is, besides being thankful im alive, all I could think was "thank god that none of my Mcgizmos were harmed\stolen!"

just thought you guys would find that semi-humorous

-chris

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Correct - Use of a gun is "deadly force" - if it is a situation where the use of "deadly force" is allowed, you don't shoot them in the legs etc - you shoot to STOP them ASAP - unfortunately, "STOP" usually equates to KILL in the FASTEST way possible. You shoot for center of mass

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

if your at gun point, pretty sure trying to bring out your own gun is going get you shot before you ever get it out of its holster.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
You did the right thing. You're alive.

If they surprise you from behind it might not be a good idea to draw a concealed weapon because you might get zapped before you face them.
I do support concealed carry but each situation is different. Who gets the drop on who usually determines the outcome.

A dummy wallet is a good idea.