Ray-O-Vac 3C 150 Lumen Flashlight

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone seen one of these http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/se4w3c.shtml#.shtml out in the wild?

Looks interesting. RayOVac's 3C competition for the big MagLEDs, but with higher rated output than any of the MagLEDs. Since it's claimed to be 150 lumens, it probably has fairly decent heat sinking.

Could be excellent for automotive, camping, and boating applications, if the price is right.

Last edited:

MorePower

Enlightened
Walmart will be the first retailer to carry that particular light. I may be able to get my hands on one a bit before Walmart has them, and will post my impressions of it, but it's not too likely. The lights aren't even at the Rayovac distribution center in Dixon yet.

The last I heard, suggested retail was going to be $26.99.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Walmart will be the first retailer to carry that particular light....

The last I heard, suggested retail was going to be $26.99.

Wow! Rayovac seems to be doing a good job of attracting flashaholics lately. Nuwai made 1watt and 3watt, 2AA lights for both Rayovac and River Rock. The Rayovac version comes with a nice pocket-carry clip.

This new light looks like a winner! Any info on when they're going to hit store shelves?

MorePower

Enlightened
Any info on when they're going to hit store shelves?

Originally, they were scheduled to show up "June '07," but that date may have drifted. I'd guess they'll be out for sale before the end of July, but my friends in marketing have left the company so I've got no way to get a hard date for you at this point.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Originally, they were scheduled to show up "June '07," but that date may have drifted. I'd guess they'll be out for sale before the end of July, but my friends in marketing have left the company so I've got no way to get a hard date for you at this point.

I still appreciate the response. Thank you. :)

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart will be the first retailer to carry that particular light...The last I heard, suggested retail was going to be $26.99.

Thanks for the pricing, MorePower.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

27 bucks for 150 lumens rated - maybe 100 lumens actual after losses - isn't bad at all.

Less bucks than equivalent 3 cell MagLED and plenty more output.

JetskiMark

Enlightened
This light looks like it might be interesting. I wonder if it might be running a Cree? All the other "Xtreme" lights on this page have Luxeon in their name or in the description. I wonder what the dimensions are? I would like to shorten it to a 1 protected LiIon C cell size. Three of the lights on that page mention regulation but not this one. If it is regulated and well made I will have to get one or more. It could be a good worry free "beater" light.

Regards,
Mark

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
This light looks like it might be interesting. I wonder if it might be running a Cree? All the other "Xtreme" lights on this page have Luxeon in their name or in the description. I wonder what the dimensions are? I would like to shorten it to a 1 protected LiIon C cell size. Three of the lights on that page mention regulation but not this one. If it is regulated and well made I will have to get one or more. It could be a good worry free "beater" light.

Regards,
Mark

most likely not a cree since cree is 3 watt, but I'd like to have one for a SSC P4 host :thumbsup:

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
I've seen that body design before... methinks its a Nuwai (the parent company) design.

also a mystical magical unspecified 4W LED == Crap in my book. I'd stay away from this light if I were you.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've seen that body design before... methinks its a Nuwai (the parent company) design.

It definitely is! .....

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

River Rock got the Hunter's camo version.

Rayovac got the Dark grey, with carry-clip version in both 1 and 3 watt.
Love my 3 watt Rayovac. Runtime is only an hour and a half (4 hours for the 1 watt). But 80 lumens on 2AA is sweet! ..... Okay, the actual lumens number is probably less than 80. But it's still bright as Hell, and runs on ordinary 2AA cells. The 1 watt version at 45 lumens is the perfect gift for non-flashaholics looking at old-fashioned Mini-Mags.

MorePower

Enlightened
most likely not a cree since cree is 3 watt, but I'd like to have one for a SSC P4 host :thumbsup:

It's a Cree. The whole "4 Watt" thing is marketing speak, just not to the same extent as the "15W OMFG Super BRITE LED" lights that you see from various Asian vendors or on Ebay.

I should have one by the end of this week or middle of next week at the latest and will post my thoughts and runtime on alkaline cells (and possibly some x-rays of the head, if I can get access to the machine...).

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are driving the Cree at 1A, with forward voltage around 3.6, that rounds up to 4 watts ;) (or if they are including driver inefficiency in there might actually make the power consumption figures accurate :eek:) Most likely scenario is that the 4W figure is made up, and entirely irrelevant.

IMO measuring a flashlight as having a higher wattage as a selling point has always seemed a bit weird -- kind of like advertising a car's low gas mileage as a good thing. The car may have incidentally have higher performance than a gas miser, but then wouldn't it make more sense to hype up the good performance and not the crappy mileage?

100 hours runtime?
(100 hours * 4 watts)/3 cells/1.5 volts = 89,000 mAh capacity! I had no idea Rayovac batteries had that much capacity...

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Anyone know if it's out yet??

I've been checking local Wal*Marts every Friday. Can't find it on the racks yet.