What's with the SF SW series of tailcaps?

defusion

Enlightened
mostly cosmetic.
they just look bad-*** on most of their lights. especially the M series IMO.
The SW02 is functionally the same as the z48/z49. don't know about the SW01 though.

oh yeah, grip will of course be different because it's outer side is different.
and they are more expensive now because they don't make them anymore.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The internals of the SW02 are the same as the more typical Z48/Z49 tailcaps. They are functionally the same.

The SW01/SW02 tailcaps are designed for tactical use with with the larger grip area made to be easier to manipulate under stress or with gloves.

The SW01 is a twisty.

Mark

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The story around here is that a group of soldiers requested SF to produce the SW line of tailcaps for better grip when using gloves. The clickie in the SW02 is reliable and inspires confidence. But mostly folks include the SW tailcaps on their lights for the "tacticool" effect. :cool:

Last edited:

defusion

Enlightened
Thanks guys.. so its just cool to have a fat tailcap with ridges.. :crackup:

btw.. what does SW stand for??
what does the Z stand for with the Z48? only surefire knows i suppose ;)

i like to think it's something simple like "switch", but then they would've called all of them SW something.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SW01 and SW02 were designed as part of the Millennium Universal WeaponLight System. Feedback from operators called for TailCaps that are easier to quickly rotate (to enable & LockOut the WeaponLight), especially whilst wearing gloves, and in cold/wet/stressful etc conditions. I don't know for certain but I've always thought SW01 stood for "Switch, WeaponLight, Number One".
They are certainly designed not to fail and to survive a hard live of use and abuse. There is certainly an element of over-engineering similar to the original Millennium Series.

Size15's

Flashaholic
For accessories SureFire selected Zxx becuase it is at the end of the alphabet.
(Adapters are Axx)

Mostly SureFire just use Z numbers now.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tessaiga, I've got the Z48. SW02 and the standard C-twisties and personally prefer the Z48 for better grip on my L5. SW02 look cool and provides additional grip apart from the rubber surround the switch. SW01 quite hard to find thus very dear for a TC, but for an improved feel for any SF that accepts C-TCs, getting the Z48/Z49 or the Z58/Z59(Without rubber surround) would be worthwhile IMHO