I Want To Buy A Really BRIGHT Light (But NOT the M6)...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I am beginning to realize that flashoholism has taken over my life lately. Not only do I check most of the topic categories here at CPF every few minutes, I have begun to amass an alarmingly large collection of flashlights as well.

At first I thought I was into it for the leading edge hi-tech new thrill of LED lights, and of course with those I am still eagerly enjoying and/or awaiting the latest developments, like ElektroLumens' DirectDrive LS MagLite, the Lambda Illuminator I will be testing on the job very soon, and the upcoming 5W Luxeon versions.

But I find that I am also starting to gratify a suppressed, lifelong fascination with any portable lighting device (as a kid I read most of my comics under the sheets with a flashlight), especially the absolute brightest ones, costs be damned.

But I am hesitant to drop $300+ on a SureFire M6, not only because that is quite a chunk of change after all, for something I cannot use too often (have to spread out my "thumb time" among the two dozen and growing stable of lights), but also because of the new stuff on the horizon (Beast? or Klaus' NightDefenderDominatorKillerAssassinWhatever? or some other small, soon-to-be-released HID?). The new stuff will undoubtedly cause any recent investment in an M6 or anything else to plummet sharply.

So I am thinking to get a SORT OF bright light for the best price. A "best bang fer the buck" kinda thing. I already have several of the smaller, brighter xenon/halogen types like the Surge, Legend LX, Hubbel Lite, SF P6, Mag 4D w/RS xenon bulb, PolyStinger, and TacMIII.

So I am wondering what your opinions are of stuff like the UltraStinger (my first choice really, at only $71.95 from BrightGuy for just the light), or one of the medium-level SFs, or...?

My decision will be influenced -- no, make that biased, by the fact I already know for sure that most of the Streamlights are pretty bright, and yet they say right on their website that their UltraStinger is their absolute brightest, at 75,000 CP? Plus I already have the complete Streamlight charging setups for both home and auto, since the Streamlight PolyStinger is already standard issue at my workplace.

But what if there is indeed an even better, brighter, or at least brightest-for-the-buck flashlight out there? Something I have nto heard about? That kind of info is what I am hoping to get input on from the great collective flashoholic mind meld here, at the Flashoholic's Finest Forum -- CPF!

Any suggestions?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's easy, get the Ultrastinger!
cool.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about SL20x with SL35 lamp (20W)? It will be very bright yet still carryable. It costs only a little over $100.

Alan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean:
That's easy, get the Ultrastinger!
cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A man after my own heart...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
How about SL20x with SL35 lamp (20W)? It will be very bright yet still carryable. It costs only a little over $100.

Alan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Alan,

So is the 35 model as bright as the Ultra? Also, is the Ultra not that good for carrying, like during a nighttime walk?

Thanks for any input.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:

So I am wondering what your opinions are of stuff like the UltraStinger (my first choice really.....Plus I already have the complete Streamlight charging setups for both home and auto, since the Streamlight PolyStinger is already standard issue at my workplace...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr Bulk,

The Ultrastinger is indeed an impressive light as well as an unusually fine value.
You might want to check the thread "A Major Step Forward: LPS' New Compact Turbohead for Surefires" for some comparison tests.

When focused down to its smallest beam diameter I believe that the US will surprise you with its power and projection. (Doing this may take a little time to focus it properly . I assure you that this will be time well spent.)

Kogatana and his people have tested this light under "professional" conditions and found it to be a superior product, very bright and powerful. (BTW, focusing to a narrow beam will still give you adequate peripheral light).

The only disappointing report I am aware of comes from Ken Good who tested the US against one of the Surefires and found it wanting. This was surprising to some of us, and it is entirely possible that somewhat depleted batteries or improper focusing or both were factors here. I believe it was an officer who tested the light, not Ken.

A couple of things you should know about the light:

LENGTH: 11 5/8"

WEIGHT: 462g (1lb .3oz) with batteries

The light is well balanced and feels good in the hand. As a non-LEO I'm not qualified to judge its usefulness as an impact weapon, but because it is lighter than the Magcharger it can be swung faster which might be a compensating factor.

The most common complaint I have heard about this light for LEO use is the placement of its button switch on the barrel near the front, rather than Surefire style at the tail which will make it harder to deploy instantly. As a civilian I find its length to be the only negative for my own personal carry and use. Because of this I carry a Surefire D3 with LPS 2.5' turbohead (see that same thread) which was judged marginally second to the US even though it is roughly half its size and weight. OTOH the US will give you a longer BRIGHT burn due to its Nicads.

It's my opinion that this is one of the brightest and longest throw conveniently sized flashlight stye lights currently available.

I hope this gives you enough information to make a choice. I've tried to give a balanced report giving both the positives and the very few negatives of this light.

it is of course set up for easy home or vehicle charge.

Good luck
Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

BrightNorm,

Your detailed and well presented post was indeed informative, and I sincerely Thank You. Given that I was sort of favoring the US anyway, this now puts me over the edge (and into precarious financial deprivation, at least as far as discretionary income is concerned). But again I thank you (although I am sure my wife does not).

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks kogatana,

I am pretty much committed to obtaining one. I am just in the process of making a little room in my overflowing flashoholism-induced light closet right now.

Please look me up next time you're in town. It would be an honor.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
Charlie,
I believe you will like that product. Tell us what you think about it when you get it. We especially like the charging cradle. It is a clasp instead of a loop like the one used on the SL20 and 35. I've always hated that method. You can't simply "grab and go."

I hope to make it back to the islands by fall. I need a break!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kogatana,

Yes I've already got all the chargers (except the Fast 2½-hour model), it's standard issue at work (but only for a Stinger), so I'm all set.

E-mail me when you get set to come down this fall...

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened
MR Bulk; When you get your US, let me know how it compares with your PT Surge. I just received my Surge and really love it. It blows away the borrowed E2. The US was a toss up for me as I was tempted to pick one up several months ago during the BrightGuy special...

Noticed in your picture, you have the Vector 1 million CP from Costco. Beware that VectorMfg does not stock the replacement mini area bulb. This guy is hardwired and glued in to the reflector. I like this combination and I am trying to see what type of bulb I can replace when it blows...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You can get the Vector 3 mil cp twin bulb spotlight at Target. I like it because you can use it with one bulb or two, if you use it with one bulb, you have an instant backup if it fails. One dislike about it is that there is no constant on switch. Probably because it would get too hot with a 40 minute runtime!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Warren,

Will do -- ordered US today, should be here early next week if prior experience with their fast service is any indication.

The Surge is bright, but a slightly wider beam than I would like. I figure for medium and close-up work I would use my ElektroLuminator (and even the Photon II for really up close), so I want some long-throw narrow beam power for far away.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zerox:
You should get a vector 3,000,000 candlepower Mr Bulk
smile.gif
It's lots of fun lighting up things miles away
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I thought about it when I first saw your post, but the thing weighs like 8 pounds (shipping weight I guess) which would kill me in mail fees, plus I already have a Vector 1M CP with the area light and rotating handle (for switching between lantern or pistol grip carry) and it is already bright beyond my needs -- it's also Big beyond my needs! Thinking about a Mag D-sized something or other, with that 1M cp throw.

beam_me_up

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Surefire M6:
You can get the Vector 3 mil cp twin bulb spotlight at Target. I like it because you can use it with one bulb or two, if you use it with one bulb, you have an instant backup if it fails. One dislike about it is that there is no constant on switch. Probably because it would get too hot with a 40 minute runtime!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an original vector 1 million cp spotlight that has a constant on switch.... I also have the 3 million that does not have the switch....puzzling why they removed it...I also didn't like that protective plastic cover they put over the trigger in the vector 3 mil so I cut that off...I guess you could always keep a piece of duct tape handy if you really need that switch constant
smile.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
Hi Alan,

So is the 35 model as bright as the Ultra? Also, is the Ultra not that good for carrying, like during a nighttime walk?

Thanks for any input.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ultra does throw farther than 35 but the 35 lamp is brighter. Ultra is smaller than SL20 (thinner). Ultra is pretty easy to carry for nighttime walk. I did carry Ultra in holster for night hiking and didn't realize it was there. May be I carried too much on the belt already
grin.gif

Alan

Max Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Mr Bulk, I purchased an Ultra Stinger about a month ago. I love it! I'm sure you will be happy with your new US it will make a great addition to your collection.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Alan,

Yeah I want the farthest throw, if I need bigger area of light I will use my ElektroLumenator, heh heh. Thanks for the info on the ease of carrying the US.

Josh,

Yes, I looked at the UKs but they're so, so...spotlight-looking. Wanted a black macho thing that just happens to fit in the multiple charging setups I already have for my other Streamlight (PolyStinger).

Max, I am very glad to be joining the UltraStinger club...

snake

Enlightened
Hello Alan,
how about UK light cannon 100 ?
I didn't found where I can buy it in Hong Kong? any idea? coz there is a xxx hole drive his car with noisy exhaust pipe, circle around every mid night. I just wants to blow him up!
grin.gif

Latest posts