Inova x1 (non-tiros) won't use rechargeables?

phil000

Newly Enlightened
I've owned an x1 since I joined this forum a few months ago and since then gave it to my father for a reading/nightlight. It has never had a problem with rechargeables before but of late it doesn't want to play nice. I know that rechargeables are 1.2V and I tested his and they were running at 1.31V, but for some reason they don't want to play nice, nor does it want to play nice with my energizer rechargeables(which it DEFINITELY used to work on)...Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Phil W

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Will it still work using a rundown alkaline? I'm assuming this is the version 2 with reflector and 5mm LED, not the newest one. I'll test mine when I get home. Not sure I've ever put a rechargeable in it.

Geoff

gunga

Flashaholic
I have a couple Inova X1s, gen 2, non-tiros. Been using eneloops (nimh) in them since day 1. NO problems.

Try cleaning all contact surfaces, the end of the body tube and the switch contact plate. Seems to have helped mine.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
FWIW, I have an older generation one (spotlight) X1 and have used NiMH in it exclusively. No problems.
Make sure, however, to inspect the size of the cell and whether it can give contact. Due to the slightly different form of one brand, an older NiCD btw, I once experienced how it did not work in the X1.

Good luck,
Joris

Confederate

Enlightened
What do you mean it won't play nice? When you have a problem, please spell out what the problem is. Is it blinking, not turning on, or are you smelling a burning electrical smell? What? Not playing nice describes nothing.

Last edited:

phil000

Newly Enlightened
To specify for our Confederate friend here. By not playing nice, I am saying it won't turn on, at all. It does work on standard 1.5V AA no problem. I am going right now to clean all of the contact points. Thanks for all the advice guys and I will try to post my progress

I would also like to add that the Alkaline is SLIGHTLY (barely perceptible when held next to each other, <1mm) longer than the Nimh.

Thanks again guys,
Phil

phil000

Newly Enlightened
please don't be mad ... did you put it in backwards?

That is quite funny because that is EXACTLY what I asked my father immediately...and no I don't believe he did, and if he did, I don't think the normal 1.5V AA would work either...

...I cleaned the contacts and still no dice, this is strange especially considering how tough Inovas (or so I've heard) are.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had problems w Duracell NiMH batteries [the only rechargables I tried]. I think they are a slightly different size than regular alkaline AAs. I'll echo what gunga said about cleaning the contacts though. A few times I've had trouble with it flickering & dimming, and cleaning the contacts helped a lot.