Seeking multiple level red LED light

smcharchan

Newly Enlightened
Folks,

I've been searching for several weeks for a multiple level red LED light to use for hunting and field (USMC) use. Though I have several lights that nearly fit the bill, such as Photon Freedom in red, Photon Proton, Inova, and a Terralux'd M-Mag with IQ switch, I'm seeking something better.

I see SF once made the L1 with a red LE, but it only has two outputs. My Terralux'd M-Mag is great, but I've grown very fond of the smaller lights in 123 and AA format. The highest output is great, but I do not like that the IQ switch starts out on high (or that it has no "last level" memory), as I find myself starting it buiried in my palm to get it to the low level prior to using it.

My ideal would be a 14500 and AA compatible multiple level light with a (very low) low, mid, and high output. I'm not bothered by additional options, but I prefer at least three levels.

At this point I've come to the conclusion that I will have to modify one of my current lights. Cree makes red LED's, and I have a new Dexlight that I would be willing to mod, but I don't think the red Cree's can take the current it puts out on high. Another option would be to mod my Seoulmated HDS B42 (thanks Milkyspit) to a red Luxeon once I land an appropriate Novatac/HDS replacement.

Your thoughts and assistance will be much appreciated, especially if they direct me toward a light that already meets what I'm looking for.
Thanks. -S

Last edited:

smcharchan

Newly Enlightened
greenLED: Thanks, but as stated in my post above I already have the Proton! I picked mine up at the SHOT show in Orlando this year. Neat light, but doesn't have the output that I want when I need red light. Though I do like the "infinitely adjustable" feature on both the red and white LED's!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Arc LS which Mosport modded for me using a red LED, reflector and a Flupic. Multiple levels, strobe, etc and, red light. Derek is a great modder and I can vouch for his work. Get in touch with him or another one of the modders on here who can help you here. My light is great for star-gazing activities in preserving night vision and overall use in other specialized situations.

Karl

greenLED

Flashaholic
greenLED: Thanks, but as stated in my post above I already have the Proton! I picked mine up at the SHOT show in Orlando this year. Neat light, but doesn't have the output that I want when I need red light. Though I do like the "infinitely adjustable" feature on both the red and white LED's!
:stupid: I kant reed.