Surefire G2 DX Cree Drop-In Problems

Confederate

Enlightened
It didn't work and today I was just getting ready to pack this thing (SKU 1447) and send it back to DX when I decided to try it again. On just a hunch, I reversed the polarity of the cells in the Surefire G2 and I got LIGHT. But I had to totally remove the spring that came on the drop-in to do it.

The cells of my G2 go in bottom up, with the negative side down. This drop-in wouldn't work at all in this configuration, but when I dropped the batteries in the other way and manipulated it, the light turned on. When I put the spring on, I couldn't get it to work regardless of what position the batteries were in. When the batteries were in the correct way, I noticed the base of the drop-in would heat up, but no light. That's what caused me to continue to play with it.

The fit isn't perfect, nor is the light quite as bright as I'd hoped, but I'm happy I don't have to send the thing back. Does anyone have any suggestions or explanations?

Enlightened
Mine ran fine without the larger spring on the assembly. I also grounded down the reflector to make it fit the 9P that I had. Didn't take too long to do. Just run the reflector on a piece of sandpaper on a very flat service. Sand it down until it fits perfectly.

reflectorlap.jpg

Completed.jpg

CostcoAAcells

Newly Enlightened
That's strange, are you sure the batteries are supposed to go in the G2 upside down? I believe you've been feeding your G2 backwards all along, although polarity doesn't matter when your using an incandescent bulb--it's important with LEDs. In some cases, loading the batteries incorrectly, the light simply won't work. In worse case it can actually damage the LED.

My $12.50 DX drop-in did not fit so well in my G2 or Brinkman Maxfire when I first got it. I had to grind away metal using my knife sharpening kit, DMT extra-extra coarse hone. It took a half hour of grinding but now it fits. Good luck with yours.

I'd keep an eye on that heat you've been noticing. It could very well be shorting. It's been mentioned here before that the springs can bend a certain way and inadvertently touch where they are not supposed to and cause a short.

Confederate

Enlightened
Yes, I've seen posts saying as much.

I only opened my G2 recently and the Surefire batteries were loaded in positive side up. I didn't know the incandescents didn't care. It's good to know. Thanks.

What's the size dif between the G2 and the 9P? And did you end up using any spring at all? (Presently I'm using no spring.) Still, when I push the button or twist, the light goes on. I may have to remove some of the front to give it a better fit.

Last edited: